Why have I not spent my whole guitar playing life playing Les Pauls?!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by regotheamigo, Feb 27, 2009.

1. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

Well I guess other than not being able to afford a Les Paul, I've spent all my time playing strats which I love for the versatility, and the user friendly controls, but bought a Custom Shop VOS Black Beauty about 2 weeks ago, and honestly I don't think I am ever going to go back! This is the most perfect sounding guitar I have ever played, and has bigger balls to it than King Kong. It screams!, and has a perfect round tone to it, even when I have the treble, presence maxed out and the bass at zero. The intonation is perfect as well, and rings out like a old Martin acoustic. Can you tell that I'm in love!!? haha Here's some pics below to check out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gvonpaul

gvonpaul Member

Very nice!
    Enjoy!

3. straightblues

straightblues Member

That is very sweet. I had the same experience about 3 years ago. To be able to easily capture the sound of so many old records was amazing. I have and love my Les Pauls but don't give up on the Fenders. They are great to switch between.

4. bilbal

bilbal Member

Les Pauls rock. That one looks fun!!!!!

I hope you enjoy her.

b

5. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Funny how we all shift around. I've gone in the exact opposite direction. Owned 6 Historic LPs at one time and 1 Tele. Now I own 2 LPs and 4 Strats and Teles. Still dig those LPs though!

6. dazco

dazco Member

You'll be back. You may love that LP, and you may keep on playing it. But you're in the middle of the honeymoon. once that over you're in for a very pleasant surprise.....you're fenders will then feel like the LP does to you now....fresh and new and amazing feeling/sounding.

7. Jerryr

Jerryr Member

That really is a Black Beauty. Very nice!!!

8. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

Na I know, part of me was kidding about never going back, but yeah I am in that puppy dog love stage with this guitar. It DEFINITELY is the finest built guitar that I have ever played that's for sure. This guitar just has a hugeness that I never really experienced with my strats. There's always a time and a place for strats though so will have one lying around close by.

9. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Member

I can tell you why I didn't spend my whole guitar life playing Les Pauls.

My first real guitar was a 68 Les Paul goldtop I got from a guy who needed bail money. I was a scrawny 9th grade kid and that guitar weighed so much that at the first gig I ever played my shoulder was killing me so bad that my left hand at one point completely cramped up to the point I couldn't play. It was ok sitting down but forget it standing. Never had much interest in reliving that particular night.

Hope yours is under 13 lbs!
    :RoCkIn

10. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

I should be ok. I'm a 6'2 185 guy. Most importantly I have a nice guitar strap .)

11. jpfeiff

jpfeiff Member

I hear ya! I bought my first LP about 2 years ago--a '76 clear finish. Loved it at first, but after a particularly grueling four hour bar gig, my back and shoulder were so sore that I promptly sold it. Still, it was a finely built instrument!

12. dazco

dazco Member

I should have mentioned by the way that i spent the first 10 years of my playing life with only gibsons ! today i can't for the life of me understand how i got along with only gibsons because today i can't play the\m near as well. But thats because my playing matured over the course of the next few decades with a strat, and whatever you play during that time is going to influence what your style becomes and so that guitar will always be the one you feel most at home with. or at least that was the case for me. I still have periods now and then when i pick up the tempest LP sort of affair and play nothing else for a week or 2. But then i long for the fender and that ends.

13. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Man, I'm drooling!

Congrats, and play it in good health.

14. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

I AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't sell everything else yet. Please keep at least one Tele (assuming you have one, everyone should have a Tele).

15. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Don't count on this happening. Just love your new beautiful Les Paul.

Les Pauls eat Strats for breakfast.

16. fenderball

fenderball Supporting Member

awesome looking lester...enjoy!

17. treedroppings

treedroppings Member

18. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Very Nice.

I've owned several Les Pauls and never got along with them.

19. wrightdude

wrightdude Supporting Member

Never played LP w/a Bigsby.... looks like fun! Congrats!

20. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

I played a 73LP Deluxe Goldtop for 10 years on stage and had a 73 Hardtail strat as my backup. Bought the strat as "insurance" because the Headstock on the LP broke, and I was constantly breaking strings during sets. On the broken headstock, during a set my guitar strap broke, down came LP, hit the end of the stage perfectly to break the stock. Nite over, bought a strat the next day. Hated the strat, played tuff compared to the LP, but after 7 years as a backup, I started gigging the strat in the early 80's, to better cut thru the band mix of the new keyboards and synths. Learned to love the strat as it is basically indestructable. Have since turned to tele's as my #1. There is something just so elegant in it's simplicity that I love. Rock on Frampton Les Paul Guy!