Why have you given up your 45 style amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by A-Mags, May 3, 2015.

1. A-Mags

A-Mags Supporting Member

Just curious as I read that a lot people have let go of these boutique models at some point after the tone quest for them...

Metros, Germinos, Mojaves, Reinhardts, Marshalls...

What have you realized after owning them that made you sell them? Other than GAS, of course.

Were they too loud; too particular with different setups; did you realize that it was a Plexi you were after all along or something else...

Or do you just truly regret letting it go for another amp chase?

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  2. 71strat

71strat Member

Ill never sell my LTD ED Metro GMP45. I also like the Metro version of the JTM45 the best as it is based on the later Drake Transforer amps compared to most of the others.

I like KT66's. I cant really find any fault with it. I run it with Hemp Coned JBL E120's.

I would also like a Metro LTD ED GMP45/100

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  3. garret

garret Member

Never selling my JTM45 clone.

4. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I have no intention of selling my JTM45/100 inspired build. It sounds great clean, pushed, or over the edge. Killer amp....

5. motokev

motokev Member

I have a Jaguar Twin (45 type), probably the best sounding amp I've ever played. I have the 2x12 version. I'd like to get a 1x12 version, also.

6. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

I love my JTM45. I like my 2061 better for dirt. The JTM45 can't be beat as a clean platform tho.

7. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

Too loud for the types of gigs I'm doing now! Casuals, weddings, etc...

8. Frome

Frome Member

Just picked up a Germino Monterey, this thing is staying out!

9. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

Too tubby in the low end for my taste

10. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

I bought a Germino Classic 45 recently for a project with a Knopfler cover band. It worked out as planned and even though the amp is everything it's advertised to be by Germino fans, I'm going to stick with my BF Fender/Dumble type amps and sell the Germino.

11. A-Mags

A-Mags Supporting Member

Ok, but why?
    Which sonic reasons may I ask?

12. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

Because I play stuff that sounds better thru BF/Dumble style amps. It's glassy cleans with hair (Marshall) vs. round, bell-like cleans (BF Fender). Lower gain and a different quality 6L6 clean, not better, not worse, just different. The 45 tone is wonderful, don't get me wrong. In fact, Knopfler with his LP through his Marshall type amps is my favorite tone on the planet. But most of the music that I play (more Americana that straight up rock) is better suited to my FEnders and Two Rocks.

I felt the same way about the Komet 60 that I had. Utterly fantastic amp, no doubt about it, but too much amp/gain for me and what I like to play.

13. Bradleyonmic

Bradleyonmic Member

I feel like it has taken me so long to get to the point of having a JTM 45 in the stable, that unless I hadn't eaten in several days, I'll never sell it. I guess if I didn't have a blackface also I might list for that sound enough to sell the JTM to get one, but between my JTM, deluxe reverb, Mesa Lonestar, and a few odd, quirky amps I am satisfied. I do want a tweed style fender, and am strongly considering one of the new Supro amps.