Why I am buying a Tonemaster Deluxe

The best sound I ever had was a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. This was after retubing, new speaker and a volume pot with a more reasonable taper. It was still heavy and still too loud. Then it just started breaking down with cold solder joints. Still though, for a while, it was good.

Fender SuperSonic 60W was way too loud. What was I thinking?!

After messing around with modeling and FRFR, I think I just want an amp, and I think the TMDR is that amp.

It hit me yesterday. Sick of my Headrush frfr-108, I broke out the Katana Artist to dial in a good clean tone. Connected the PC and had to install a firmware update. From there I start dialing in and something sounds off. Post about it and someone suggested tweaks to the parametric EQ. Have to admit, got a pretty good sound going. Just played guitar for an hour or two because that's what I came for. I still hadn't connected the HX Stomp to set up the pedals and compare to the Artist. I was tired.

I have done this before. Next time I will dial in a heavier tone. I won't find my way back to today's tone. It won't sound as good for some reason and I will tweak some more.

I have setting fatigue. I just want to plug and play. The Artist is going to GC to get whatever they will give for it, and I am going to get the TMDR.

I have enough pedals. I'm sure one of my ODs will do the trick. I just want to play guitar.

The Fender tone will get me to 75% of what I play. I have other devices that can get me metal.

I have setting fatigue.

Edit: I didn't buy one. I tried it and it wasn't for me. I decided I can do as good with what I have on hand.

Last edited:

strumminsix

Tried out both the TMDR and TMTW at my home for a long weekend with the intention on keeping 1.

I loved them both. Twin much better to me. Sadly, the DI output didn't sound like what I heard from the speaker and would have needed more than a simple tonestack adjustment on the board. Hopefully that's been updated and that you love yours!!

Guitardave

The best sound I ever had was a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. This was after retubing, new speaker and a volume pot with a more reasonable taper. It was still heavy and still too loud. Then it just started breaking down with cold solder joints. Still though, for a while, it was good.

Fender SuperSonic 60W was way too loud. What was I thinking?!

After messing around with modeling and FRFR, I think I just want an amp, and I think the TMDR is that amp.

It hit me yesterday. Sick of my Headrush frfr-108, I broke out the Katana Artist to dial in a good clean tone. Connected the PC and had to install a firmware update. From there I start dialing in and something sounds off. Post about it and someone suggested tweaks to the parametric EQ. Have to admit, got a pretty good sound going. Just played guitar for an hour or two because that's what I came for. I still hadn't connected the HX Stomp to set up the pedals and compare to the Artist. I was tired.

I have done this before. Next time I will dial in a heavier tone. I won't find my way back to today's tone. It won't sound as good for some reason and I will tweak some more.

I have setting fatigue. I just want to plug and play. The Artist is going to GC to get whatever they will give for it, and I am going to get the TMDR.

I have enough pedals. I'm sure one of my ODs will do the trick. I just want to play guitar.

The Fender tone will get me to 75% of what I play. I have other devices that can get me metal.

I have setting fatigue.
I am with you on the burnout aspect and just went back to using my Fenderish tube amps. Only reason I don't switch out is because it works, weighs under 40 lbs and sounds amazing at gig volumes.

For home use I have the Kat 100 combo, upgraded it with a Jensen C12k, downloaded the sneaky "Twin" preamp and it works great. I run it only in 100 watt mode and while it gives me enough volume for gigs it doesn't have the same "oomph" as my main amp so it stays at home. If it was a low volume gig it would be my first choice.

Last edited:
I have read from a number of folks that the Twin takes overdrive pedals far better than the Deluxe..and it’s only $100 more and has 2/12’s..fwiw
I read that as well, but only on input 2.

I am worried that the Twin won't have the early breakup I am looking for.

Reactions: Rod

Emigre

Cue up a playlist of your favourite songs, plug in and play enjoying the music and the moment.

Then re-evaluate if you really need to fiddle with that 4K cut or a new amp. Setting fatigue can set in even in boutique klon klones, and IME, the solution is not a new toy.

Cue up a playlist of your favourite songs, plug in and play enjoying the music and the moment.

Then re-evaluate if you really need to fiddle with that 4K cut or a new amp. Setting fatigue can set in even in boutique klon klones, and IME, the solution is not a new toy.
I did that and the Katana was not working with the band. I'm no professional, but it wasn't good.

Emigre

I read that as well, but only on input 2.

I am worried that the Twin won't have the early breakup I am looking for.
I thought the selling point of the tone masters was that you could get any breakup at any volume. Might want to check that, it shouldn't be a showstopper if you preferred the Twin.

Fair enough, look, you were in the room and I wasn't, your opinion is the only valid one, the rest are someone's suggestions :)
There is a history here. I played one amp for years. Egnater Rebel 20 head. It died and I moved into an apartment and I wanted a modeling so I could do all volumes. While modeling, I mostly played the Fender Deluxe or Twin models. I would mess around with the others, but serious time was spent in Fender territory.

So I just want one base amp that I can practice on and use when the boys get together.

As a pedal platform, maybe it should be the Twin.

LaXu

Sounds like you could have just as well bought a used Deluxe Reverb or Twin or whatever clean tube amp you might prefer if you mostly use pedals for your tones. I don't feel the Tonemasters do much different in this regard.

I can totally understand settings fatigue. It's why I sold my Axe-Fx 2 and eventually might end up with just a couple of pedals instead of my Helix. I don't need much more than a delay, reverb and occasional tremolo to spruce up my Marshall based amps.

Sounds like you could have just as well bought a used Deluxe Reverb or Twin or whatever clean tube amp you might prefer if you mostly use pedals for your tones. I don't feel the Tonemasters do much different in this regard.

I can totally understand settings fatigue. It's why I sold my Axe-Fx 2 and eventually might end up with just a couple of pedals instead of my Helix. I don't need much more than a delay, reverb and occasional tremolo to spruce up my Marshall based amps.
My previous Deluxe was too loud for apartment practice. The volume know went from zero to ROAR without much in between.

LaXu

My previous Deluxe was too loud for apartment practice. The volume know went from zero to ROAR without much in between.
That's a pretty common issue on Fenders, especially the Hotrod Deluxe. It's a common mod to throw a volume box in the fx loop or change the volume pot to one with a better taper or logarithmic vs linear (don't remember which one is the default).

It's not because the amp is louder than others or too powerful, it's just bad design.

I did NOT but the Tone Master.

Not judging anyone who loves them, but it wasn't for me.

The Deluxe sounded thin and got flabby real fast.

Trending Topics