• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Why I don't read Tape Op

MichaelK

In all the years I've been a subscriber I've never once read a Tape Op article in its entirety, and it's not from lack of interest in the subject matter.

Its because the crappy typography makes it unreadable. The reason you never see that atrocious font in any other publication is because no professional typographer would use it. It SUCKS for columns of text!! One or two sentences and screw it, I'm done. I want to read for content, not for an excercise in word recognition.

Say what you will about the editorial integrity of the commercial publications, at least the art directors know what they're doing. I can read more than a paragraph or two without feeling like I'm taking an eye exam.

It's really no big deal, it's just beeen a pet peeve for years and I thought I'd get it out there. Rant over.

johneeeveee

Hmm... never even noticed a problem when reading Tape Op.
Best recording mag on the planet, and it's free... couldn't ask for more IMO.

Peace - jv

jammybastard

"I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."
Gold Supporting Member
I don't get this as well.
Maybe I'm totally offbase but if there is a free magazine that has the best interviews with producers, engineers, artists and has the best gear reviews in the business and I didn't like the layout I think I'd find a way to get over it.
I'd certainly try considering the upside was too great not to give it a shot.
:dunno

In all the years I've been a subscriber, including all the years I was also working as a print designer, I've managed to deal with it. The articles are so much better than SOS, Mix, etc.

Last edited:

TravisE

Silver Supporting Member
Hmm... never even noticed a problem when reading Tape Op.
Best recording mag on the planet, and it's free... couldn't ask for more IMO.

Peace - jv
+1. A fantastic mag and I've never even noticed the font.

M

Member 995

I'll change the font and increase the size for the next issue.

holyears

I think the design/layout really adds to the felling that I'm not reading some glossy corporate-produced commercial mag. I've come to appreciate it for what it is and now it's the only print magazine I still read.

MichaelK

Hey look... I know it's a popular mag, and I have nothing bad to say about its content because I haven't read it.

It's just an optical thing. The font bothers my eyes, so I don't read it. It doesn't bother you (whomever), so you read it. No problem. There's nothing else to "get."

With due respect to all concerned, I majored in Graphic Arts and ran a printing company for 15 years, so I also have some experience with design and typography, as well as the subjectivity of these things.

loudboy

Hey look... I know it's a popular mag, and I have nothing bad to say about its content because I haven't read it.

It's just an optical thing. The font bothers my eyes, so I don't read it. It doesn't bother you (whomever), so you read it. No problem. There's nothing else to "get."

With due respect to all concerned, I majored in Graphic Arts and ran a printing company for 15 years, so I also have some experience with design and typography, as well as the subjectivity of these things.
They may have conspired with "Wired" to finally kill off print media!

Tape-OP is pretty rough, manly due to amateurish layout, but Wired appears to be designed to be unreadable. The visual correlation to the music of Primus, IMHO. <g>

johneeeveee

I can understand why that bothers you, due to your background.
I am actually a good friend of Larry Crane's (Tape Op creator), and have worked with him on my own recordings and at the workshops he used to do at Jackpot! Studios. He does his best to please everyone, but I'm sure you can imagine all the letters he gets from picky sound engineers and gear aficionados telling him how to change the mag for the better. He's a great guy who listens, and I will pass along your sentiments to him and see if he has had others with the same concern.

Larry does have one particularly glowing email hanging in his office from a huge fan of the mag... and that fan is Pete Townshend. Pretty cool.

enocaster

They may have conspired with "Wired" to finally kill off print media!

Tape-OP is pretty rough, manly due to amateurish layout, but Wired appears to be designed to be unreadable. The visual correlation to the music of Primus, IMHO. <g>
Wow, I think the design of Wired is amazing. I save the issues in my "design file". I have no trouble reading it at all. The level of conceptual thought and detail they put into each issue is phenomenal. For example, the issue on "things that can go wrong" was printed to appear like the paper was miscut - color bars on one side and the image running off the other. A story on Star Wars had the page numbers warped like the scrolling to the horizon text at the beginning of each film. When a story is continued in the back of the issue, they insert a photo of the article's opening spread for quick orientation; they do the same in the letters section to jog your memory of the previous issue. I could go on…

mcknigs

Silver Supporting Member
I've had no problems reading Tape Op. At my age I have to take my glasses off, as I do for everything else.

The last few times I tried to read Wired I figured they've decided no one who reads them is over 40, and therefore they don't need to concern themselves with accomodating older eyes.

-Scott

johneeeveee

Oh, and I liked Primus for about 5 minutes when I was 14, then quickly came to my senses.
While I seemed to have the same brief interest in Primus as you did, I don't see the necessity in insulting the band and the folks that do happen to dig them. Why go so far out of your way to do so?

You know experience doesn't count on the internet. :roll

enocaster

While I seemed to have the same brief interest in Primus as you did, I don't see the necessity in insulting the band and the folks that do happen to dig them. Why go so far out of your way to do so?
You are absolutely right, I don't normally post in this way. A brief lapse in judgement sparked by the post I originally quoted - I should know better. The arts are subjective, first and foremost.

Trending Topics