Why I hate trems. An essay

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RDM, Feb 19, 2008.

1. RDM

RDM Senior Member

They're the most ridiculous thing ever invented. I'm about to chuck my guitar out of the 2nd floor window. Maybe then it will stay in tune.

2. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Just a matter of getting it set up and adapting your playing to get accustomed to it.
    What specifically is the problem you are having?

I've managed to get nearly every trem equipped guitar to stay in tune that I've played. Lets not throw the thing out the window.. today.

RC

3. KRosser

KRosser Member

Is it OK if I still like them?

4. bynt

bynt Member

Why I hate tems: haikus

I

Floating tremolo
    Warbling madness out of tune
    This spring-Wilkinson

II

Floyd Rose whammy bar
    Tempting like a prostitue
    with even more grief

5. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

No problems here. I love mine. Of course I love guitars without them too.

6. RDM

RDM Senior Member

I know....you'd never know by my ramblings I was always in AP English classes.

I had the guitar setup by a local tech.....but it still doesn't feel right action is too high and I don't dig the way it plays. Every time I use the fine tuners, everything else goes out of tune. I was going to bring it back to the guy since I did pay $60, but it's like if he couldn't do it right the first time....why should I bring it back? I tried to adjust it myself, but just can't seem to get it right.

7. jcground

jcground Member

My recommendation: when paying for a setup, play the guitar when you pick it up, and let the tech know what you don't like about it before you bring it home. If the tech is good, they should be able to make it right for you unless there's a problem with the guitar itself, or the guitar just isn't right for your style of play.

As far as trems go, I think they're great for some stuff but it's nice to have a guitar without one too. If I could only have one guitar, I'd opt for no trem, but that's just me.

There are also many types of trems, and I prefer some infinitely to others. The locking style just isn't for me at all, but again that's me. I don't divebomb, and the hassle of restringing and setting up a Floyd is not something that'd be worth the trouble to me. If I played the style of stuff that takes advantage of it, Floyds are sometimes the right tool for the job.

8. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

Find a new tech. Better yet, learn how to do your own setups. No one can set a guitar up better for you than you if you know how. Especially if you have a Floyd equipped guitar like it seems you have. A properly set up trem is a thing of beauty and stability. A good time to learn would be now. There are plenty of resources, both on the net, and in books.
    Best Regards!

9. RDM

RDM Senior Member

I'm currently driving down that road....and that's where my frustration lies.

10. RDM

RDM Senior Member

Yes...I still like you and will refrain from putting you on my ignore list.

11. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

Here are a couple good pages regarding the setup of floating trems. These are specific to Ibanez trems (you didn't say what you're using), but the principles are the same.

It was key for me to remember that the trem itself has to be level while the strings and springs work oppositely against it ~ the force from each side needs to be equal. Any adjustment to the strings effects all the strings, and has to be countered.

http://www.jemsite.com/tech/
    http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

12. RDM

RDM Senior Member

It's an Ibanez....and I've actually been using those sites. Still no luck. I'm going to get some additional springs at GC today and see if that helps the issues I'm having.

13. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

What gauge strings are you using? How many springs do you have in?

14. cruster

cruster Member

15. johnmfer

johnmfer Member

My PRS CU22 has a trem, my first trem guitar in 12 or 13 years. I'm very much a hardtail guy but the trem felt more natural than the PRS stoptail. So, I converted my trem to hardtail using this:

http://www.tremol-no.com/

Zero tuning issues. 100% stability, 100% of the time. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

16. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

I feel the same way about vibratos on guitars.

17. RDM

RDM Senior Member

10ga DR tite fit strings. 3 springs setup parallel, and not in a A shape (if that makes sense)

18. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

What kind of strat you have with fine tuners? Locking Floyd should have no tuning issues at all. If the trem floats then changing one string's tuning will affect all the others of course.

I love trems and have no problem keeping a vintage strat in tune for days. I can pick it up and shake it by the bar and it's right in tune. If you tune it right, it stays in tune. And if it should go out a little, the string is probably stuck somewhere and often you should not touch a tuner button. It's when people start turning the tuning gears every time it's slighty out, is where the dog starts chasing it's tail.

19. smorgdonkey

smorgdonkey Member

A friend of mine has a newer Ibanez and although the Ibanez trems are 'raved about' by some (mostly Ibanez heads hell) he said that he rarely plays it because of the same issue. He took it to a good tech and the tech was astonished that it took forever to get the thing tuned, then would stay in tune for a while playing but after any adjustment was made it would be all out of whack again.

All I can say is that I'm glad I have real Floyd Rose trems.

20. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

THE nightmare for those of us who like the floating trem setup, is breaking a string (any string) during a song on a gig. Worse if during your solo.
    Yes, it's happened to me a couple of times... :eek:
    That's why I HAVE to bring 2 guitars to every gig.
    Still dig the trem, though.

S.
    j