Why I sold my AXE FX II and went back to Analog

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by PiRaSSiC, Dec 6, 2017.

1. ksandvik

ksandvik Member

When I got my Boss Katana 100W combo I did a deliberate decision to only tweak the four channels to a point where I like them and then not touch the amp settings, default modulation effects only now and then. It's a complex system but you just use mind power to stop you from avoiding tinkering and just playing. Same with a Fractal AXE.

rsm likes this.
  2. JipThePeople

JipThePeople Member

Sgt Schmaltz likes this.
  3. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Exactly. I drive to work in a car not the space shuttle

4. barzi2001

barzi2001 Member

Same experience. I had a pod hd300 and I realized thayt I spent too much in tweaking than playing. I was definitely affected by the overchoice syndrome.

Then, I took a flyrig5. And I went back to play music.

BoogieManSC and Jim234 like this.
  5. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

This is some very solid advice right here, bar none. This is what I have done as well.

Crash-VR and DMVGuitar like this.
  6. GreatSatan

GreatSatan Member

You've still got your vst plugins though, your eq's, your xciters, your multiband compressors, your turd polishers lol
    I will say, trying to get a good sound out of digital sims sure made me a better sound engineer...

PiRaSSiC likes this.
  7. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

I used a Fractal on week-long touring show. It sounded like plugging into a 1973 Pioneer receiver. I was way underwhelmed.

BoogieManSC likes this.
  8. jjguitar

jjguitar Member

Great read man! I recently sold my Helix for the same reason - just so much going on it made me realise I'm just a simple is better guy, I just want 1 sound that lets me sound like me and inspires me to play, not constantly tweak and think "this is good, but could I make it sound better?"

9. SteveO

SteveO Member

That's the thing about tube amps-no menus, no huge banks of options, no wasting time pushing buttons trying to achieve the perfect sound. Instead, you can roll tubes, swap speakers, mod circuits, and buy and sell countless amps & pedals in the name of trying to achieve the perfect sound.

10. GreatSatan

GreatSatan Member

You'll get closer though :p

To me, the digital revolution has been one big sweep of sacrificing quality for convenience, and that's across the board; sound production, music in general, films etc.
    There's just something to me about pre-2000's albums that just sounds... better.
    Not to mention movies that used to use actual film stock, as opposed to the cgi crapfest we're inundated with now.
    Sure it was way more of a hassle using actual analogue recording equipment in the studio and actual film cameras, but the results speak for themselves imo.
    Out whole lives are digitalized now (& i feel like technology should've peaked and stopped somewhere around the mid-late 90's lol).

PiRaSSiC likes this.
  11. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

You'll have to pry my Lexicon 284 tube direct recording box and my various H&K direct recording boxes from my cold dead hands.

12. Tootone

Tootone Member

I agree. You can spend days or even weeks twiddling in the menus, believing you can "make" the sound in your head. But you can't.

With analogue gear... it is what it is and you either accept and use it, or you sell and buy something else. Easy choices, no time wasted.

In truth, the analogue gear generally has the "right" sound on tap. A Vox sounds like a Vox, a Marshall a Marshall etc...

No fannying around with virtual bias, pre and post EQ, mic type and placement, speakers.... etc.

Plug in ...... and...... play on.

GreatSatan likes this.
  13. MantraSky

MantraSky Supporting Member

The "Search" has been a longtime thing for me! Something New is always fun and inspiring, adjusting the AxEfx II can be overwhelming when your in the mood to "Just Play". In the end there Tools weather Tubes, Solid State, Modelers, IR and I do own them all for different situations. I use to think my SLO was so much simpler that my Ecstasy as it had so many knobs? then my Dr. Z had only a couple of knobs compare to my BE100 (I prefer the Friedman though). In the studio more tone possibilities help me, but if I'm at home or jamming with friends, I look for something that sounds great and the simple "Analog" Tube amp "Just Feels Right".

14. Mayhem13

Mayhem13 Member

But you really didn't go back to analog if I read you right......you're still running through IRs, plug ins and a DAW.

Like when we were young and it was time.......time to clean out the toy box because there was too much stuff......stuff you lost interest in for lots of reasons, like the misunderstood and learned behavior of ADD.

What you're saying is you're not a tweaker anymore.......congratulations. Now you're free to buy more pieces of gear and feed your attention deficit! Better for the economy than Adderall.

15. jjguitar

jjguitar Member

ahhh just the way all my guitar hero's did it <3

16. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Supporting Member

I got the AX8 and really only used one amp model. Then I played it live and couldn't sell it fast enough. For now If I want to run direct I play my acoustic through a preamp. I did love the effects and scenes so I got the FX8 and my dream amp. Using the relays to change channels combined with scenes is a dream come true. That and no knobs getting moved in transport. This has become my simplified answer to complex and EXPENSIVE pedal boards. The best of both worlds for me. One of the rewards for all my years of practice is standing in front my cranked Wizard on stage. The huge tone and dynamics is just unreal. I'll suffer through monitors in the studio if I have to. But I want to experience the amp in the room every chance I get before I die. Just can't get enough.

I would buy the UA OX before I bought another AX8.