Why I wanna throttle the drummer

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Zingeroo, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Zingeroo

Zingeroo Member

If I don't fire him first...

It's practice (we're not gigging yet) and he's sitting back there on the drum kit, not looking up at the rest of us ... the end of the song comes around, and goes by ... he's still playing. So I just stop playing and look at him (never mind that I'm trying to make eye contact to make sure he knows where he's at, but he's not even looking) and when he notices I'm not playing, he looks at me, like "What?"
    Dude, you need to end the song. You need to know your parts. You need to give cues when we're ending the song. You need to get your **** together...
    I talked to the singer about him, and I have already spoken to him about the issues I have with him. The singer and I have agreed to give him one more chance since we formally talked to him, but I don't think it's going to get better. I'm not a hardass or a stickler, but it's been pissing me off. I'm not looking for suggestions on how to deal with him, I've got this under control. Just want to vent here.

2. BedroomRockStar01

BedroomRockStar01 Supporting Member

Every drummer I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with has had ADHD to one degree or another. I don't know what it is that attracts them to that instrument.

Or maybe I've had terrible luck with drummers.

3. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

You're not gigging..yet? Get a paying gig.....and the problem usually solves itself.

4. Zingeroo

Zingeroo Member

I don't have the confidence that he'll straighten up for a gig. I'd like to try it, but I don't want to look like a fool because I thought he could do it and didn't. He also hits the drums with hardly any force. I keep on telling him to beat them like they stole from him but he ignores me. Let me correct myself. On SOME songs he will play with great enthusiasm. Other songs he sits back there looking bored and plays like a *****.

5. Seraphine

Seraphine Member

Seems there might be some other points stack on this besides that action on his part... Is he good? Does he have dynamics down? Maybe he really wants a jamband ... or more freedom in a sense?

Would any of the players in the band "keep" p-laying? ... or segue into another tune? If you did that would he follow? or if the bass player threw out a "change" near the end of a tune, would you be there with him?

I understand the "doing the songs the rehearsed and same way all the time" idea.. Maybe he likes a little more of ... ah... I'm in the mood... ride with me on this...?

Then again.. maybe there's a number of issues... but if he has dynamics and is a good player...

6. Seraphine

Seraphine Member

Mic the drums.... a wall of sound for "acoustics" ... not volume is brilliant... and a light drummer is good... He does slam the kit when required doesn't he? I'd hope he has dynamics to make impressions when wanted... Way to many drummers slam drums hard and have no option to emphasize anything.. as they are already slamming as hard as they can.

7. Zingeroo

Zingeroo Member

I don't like drummers who hit too hard either, but I want to hear the damn kick drum at practice to lock on a groove ...

8. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Take it from me. You've had bad luck with drummers. We're not all that way. I used to have bad habits that I've corrected over the years. Some drummers tend to get "in the zone," and they become caught up in the groove and tend to get lost in it. They "zone out," shut their eyes, lose concentration and stop listening to what's going on around them. It's not uncommon. The smart drummers are constantly listening to what's going on around them. They're the ones with the biggest ears, and as a result, they're the ones that work the most.

Mr. Zing...If your drummer doesn't straighten himself out, it's time to start looking for someone else. It sounds like he's not into what you're doing, and he suffers from the maladies I spoke about in the previous paragraph. He gets psyched to play the tunes he likes, and phones it in for the stuff he doesn't care for. That's unprofessional BS. I hate playing "Sweet Home Alabama" and "Brown Eyed Girl," but I still play those tunes the best I can when called upon. It's all about musical maturity.

I also have a problem with drummers who don't hit with authority. They di** around, tapping the drums lightly. Jeez, hit them with an attitude. That doesn't mean slamming them all the time. It means have some confidence and play the instrument with some passion and commitment.

9. Seraphine

Seraphine Member

You mentioned talking with another member... Rather then just "one" more chance kind of tact.. maybe talk all together about what kind of music you guys are doing... or can do.. and what direction the band hopes for etc.. as well as style of playing and the drums....

One thing I remember amazing a drummer with is I have always recorded everything... after working out we'd sit around in the studio and listen to music... so I played that nights sessions and the drummer at one point, after hitting his beer, asked "who is this? Genesis?" ... Two of us said at exactly the same time.. that's us tonight man... It's YOU.

He didn't work out actually lol... but he tried and we tried to give him a chance... hmmmmmm

10. V-Type

V-Type Member

Sounds like the drummer isnt felling it.
    You guys havent gigged and sound as though you are just starting off in this band.
    Have a blunt talk with him.
    Either play as we need or I find a more in tune drummer.
    Some guys dont think guys playing other instruments have any business telling them how too play theirs.
    This may be this guys case.

11. lhallam

lhallam Member

So your solution is to have people pay to listen to a guy learn songs. I don't think so. When I spend my precious time and hard-earned money to hear bands, they rarely get a second chance from me unless they are friends and they only get two.

Op, even the much maligned Ringo knew his parts. If drummers want to be considered musicians then they must play like one.

12. MetalOctane

MetalOctane Member

This is interesting to me. I have 4 kids, my oldest (only daughter) is not interested in playing but my 3 sons all have instruments. One of them is ADHD and when I put a guitar in his hands he went blank. While in GC one afternoon with said child, he wandered off to a section of the store that was foreign to me...... guess where I found him? That's right, sitting on a throne with sticks in hand, headphones on, and bangin' away. I found a nice, slighly used, electric kit and gave it to him for Christmas.

13. Jed B

Jed B Member

Is he the best drummer you can get? IMO.....bad drummer = bad sound = no fun = frustration = poor life decisions = tin pan alley = homeless = lice.

You don't want lice do you?

14. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

i find craigslist to be a help in this area

15. Ogre

Ogre Member

Just be sure to wait until the gig is over.

16. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

That exact same thing happened in the Pixies documentary.

The whacked-out drummer kept playing when everyone else ended the song.

Frank Black was just like WTF and walked off the stage.

17. acguitar84

acguitar84 Member

I think what he's saying is, if you get paying gigs, you'll get the best players. That's how it's worked in my experience anyway.

18. powermatt99

powermatt99 Member

I hate when drummers bury their heads. I may not be the best drummer but I'll at least end the song on time. I may be the only drummer with OCD not ADD. I'm sure I'm a pain to work with, though.

19. Seraphine

Seraphine Member

Provided there's no internal politics involved in such actions.. I have little issue with it and would merely imagine the drummer is throwing in a tune... I would throw a tune ( gtr ) unexpected just for fun... Most muso's can and do take up the slack quick eh? Drummer keeps playin'... so can I.... Because I'd be like to throw something at the end or segue on if I FEEL like it. so I'd have little issue with drummers doing same...

Provided there's no internal political crap or anger etc etc....

20. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

Contrary to popular myth, Ringo was a band leader and considered very highly in the British music scene before the Beatles.

Good drummers are not good because they know lots of fancy licks, good drummers are good because they can keep good time and are MUSICAL, which means they listen to the rest of the band and do what is appropriate in the song, which includes plenty of eye contact and ending the song right.
    I will not play in a band with drummers who do not understand this. Doing so is a futile tooth pull.