Why Ignore Lists Never Really Work

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Marcuss, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Bob Longo

Bob Longo Gold Supporting Member

Ignore and ignoramus share the same Latin root~ Ignorius.
    Coincidence, I think not.
    Fact, indubitably.

84superchamp likes this.
  2. sanrico

sanrico Member

Have you guys ever been in a band where you get a new member and he tries to take over immediately, telling everyone how things should be?

Yeah.

3. RTR

RTR Supporting Member

If you find that post argumentative you might be in the wrong place. He simply countered your observation that you were pretty much stating as fact.

ERGExplorer and sanrico like this.
  4. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Actually, I know a guy who is a great keyboard player who does that. He joined this working band, they needed a guitar player, so he brought me in to audition, I got the gig and they fired him two weeks later for doing just that. He thought he was Paul Schaefer and it was the Letterman show... Shame really, he's a Berklee grad, an excellent musician and must know 5000 songs. I'm serious, the guy is a walking pop/rock/jazz fake book. We used to call him "Murph" as in "Murph and the Magictones" from the first Blues Brothers movie...

5. RTR

RTR Supporting Member

Did he play a black Ibanez?

6. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

No, he played a Korg Triton. he's a keyboard player, not a guitar player.

7. p19978

p19978 Member

OP: I have 31 on my Ignore list.

Using the function has made this place much more tolerable.

I'm not missing anything other than obnoxiousness, pretentiousness, and sometimes outright stupidity (once, a poster berated me and then copied a chart that PROVED MY POINT. When I pointed that out to him, he, of course, disappeared from the thread).

What's the old saying?

"Don't argue with stupid people: they bring you down to their level and beat you with their experience".

John Hurtt, Jules and Jamalot like this.
  8. GSHARP

GSHARP Member

I only ignore the ones that don't post.

JPF and 9520575 like this.
  9. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

I use the Ignore function to avoid doing Emporium business with people who admit they treat other unfairly, and/or who argue that people shouldn't have to honor contracts and agreements.

The Ignore function really works for numerous purposes, although perhaps not for your particular purpose. That's okay, but it's something to keep in mind, just as some people slam a piece of gear as worthless just because *they* specifically don't have a use for it.

If you don't want to consider that not everyone has identical goals to yourself, pointing out that there *are* those differences isn't argumentative... unless one feels that reality should conform to one's views, and not vice versa. That's an argument with reality, though.

Yeah, that was pretty striking.

10. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

BTW, it's humorous that if a member is being ignored, the topics that person starts aren't displayed unless one clicks the "Show ignored content" link at the bottom of the index.

I imagine that helps cut down on interaction with someone who has earned a spot on another person's Ignore list, leading to a better user experience on many members' parts.

Of course, that's only if one gives the same respect to other people and their views on the Ignore function's usefulness as one wants for oneself....

11. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

Nazis is capitalized, and you forgot the period at the end of your sentence. :D

12. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

No one has ever upset me enough to block them. There are definitely some idiots here but I don't let it get to me.

:red

JPF and Jamalot like this.
  13. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Also, in as much as "Grammar Nazi" is a thing, shouldn't "grammar" likewise be capitalized?

marktweedy, Peteyvee and Stu Cats like this.
  14. The Captain

The Captain Member

Only if your name is Grammar Weatherwax.

A-Bone likes this.
  15. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

Oh no!!!! I would hate to add you to my ignore list. ;)

A-Bone likes this.
  16. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Do you really believe that, or did you just post it because it was a good line (which it was)? Doesn't "grammar Nazi" seem stylistically and grammatically awkward as a phrase in English?

17. The Captain

The Captain Member

Just because it was a good line.
    Your post made me think of Granny W, who, as you seem to know, loved to capitalise what would otherwise not be proper nouns in order to make her point, to Thump the Table a little, if you like.
    I am now sitting here in the lonely, quiet pre-dawn trying to decide which stance to take on capitalising the "g" in grammar, when it precedes Nazi, and whether the word Nazi itself deserves a capital.
    I'm inclined to think that "Nazi" in this use is a way of describing someone with fixed ideology, with a tendency to scream over minor infractions of said ideology, rather than them actually being a member of any Nazi party, so for me, "grammar nazi" is the better style. Taking away the capital N, for me, waters the word down a little.
    Making Discworld jokes/references was more fun.
    I probably should go for a walk now. Early morning is the only pleasant time to get out in this god-forsaken hole I'm currently stuck in.

walterw and A-Bone like this.
  18. gtrplr71

gtrplr71 Member

I love grammatical shameing!

Nevets likes this.
  19. robinson slick

robinson slick Member

I know that I live under a rock and all but really - ignore lists??! I remember that kind of stuff in junior high school; some of you guys take these "conversations" way too seriously.

20. robinson slick

robinson slick Member

it's spelled shaming.

:D

Stu Cats likes this.