Why I'm thinking about getting an SE Silver Sky instead of a Fender

seward

Silver Supporting Member
I'm interested in the PRS SE Silver Sky because - based on videos, online audio, and reviews - it sounds better than a Fender Player, and it costs less than a Vintera.

I love single-coils and I love Strats. They're what I grew up playing (poorly). However, when I started playing again several years ago, I went with humbuckers, and that's worked for me. But I'm always looking for an excuse to get a single-coil. I only have two conditions: it has to sound good, and it can't cost too much. "Good" is subjective; "cost too much" means more than $1K. Fender Players are as cheap as $700, but the tone hasn't satisfied me. Fender Vinteras look and sound like they would work, particularly the Vintera Mods, but that's $1100+.

Then last week the full-color multimedia assault that was the PRS SE Silver Sky promotional campaign hit my computer screen, and after the second or third video, I was very interested. They've got the visual aesthetic right for a decent "S-type", and they sounded good to me - better than a Player, maybe not quite as good as a Vintera. Good enough to buy, where the Player doesn't quite get there for me (YMMV), and inexpensive enough that I don't get the internal alarms like I do with the Vintera.

I wrote this because I have a feeling that my thinking is not unique. This strat-type guitar sounds good enough to get those of us who weren't satisfied by the Fender Player, and it's priced to beat the Vintera (which it may not sound quite as good as). It's the entry-level Stratocaster that a lot of people have been hoping for, and would like to get from Fender, but can't (unless it actually sounds like crap).

According to my salesperson, I won't know until June, and there's a strong possibility that a Vintera will be here before then.

Last edited:

lcfparty35

It's the entry-level Stratocaster that a lot of people have been hoping for, and would like to get from Fender, but can't (unless it actually sounds like crap).
Yes, our prayers have been answered. Thank you for speaking up for the rest of us who don’t have a voice…

Tone is subjective, but I’m not sure if you’re judging the Fender Player fairly based on online compressed audio/video. Also, what amps/settings are being used and do they match what you prefer when it comes to the tone? Nothing from what I’ve seen or heard tells me that the SS is a better guitar, but it’s all personal preference.

aquanaut

I'm interested in the PRS SE Silver Sky because - based on videos, online audio, and reviews - it sounds better than a Fender Player, and it costs less than a Vintera.

I love single-coils and I love Strats. They're what I grew up playing (poorly). However, when I started playing again several years ago, I went with humbuckers, and that's worked for me. But I'm always looking for an excuse to get a single-coil. I only have two conditions: it has to sound good, and it can't cost too much. "Good" is subjective; "cost too much" means more than $1K. Fender Players are as cheap as $700, but the tone hasn't satisfied me. Fender Vinteras look and sound like they would work, particularly the Vintera Mods, but that's $1100+.

Then last week the full-color multimedia assault that was the PRS SE Silver Sky promotional campaign hit my computer screen, and after the second or third video, I was very interested. They've got the visual aesthetic right for a decent "S-type", and they sounded good to me - better than a Player, maybe not quite as good as a Vintera. Good enough to buy, where the Player doesn't quite get there for me (YMMV), and inexpensive enough that I don't get the internal alarms like I do with the Vintera.

I wrote this because I have a feeling that my thinking is not unique. This strat-type guitar sounds good enough to get those of us who weren't satisfied by the Fender Player, and it's priced to beat the Vintera (which it may not sound quite as good as). It's the entry-level Stratocaster that a lot of people have been hoping for, and would like to get from Fender, but can't (unless it actually sounds like crap).

According to my salesperson, I won't know until June, and there's a string possibility that a Vintera will be here before then.

Call me old fashioned
But, I decide to buy a guitar after I pick it up, play it and listen to it. Not based on Youtube, artist models, endorsed by, or TGP must have gear of the month.

John Mayo

I doubt he's been under a rock. He's probably just wondering why the OP started a new thread instead of posting in one of the other 15 threads going on the same subject.

Looking at the front page 80% of the posts are about a prs guitar in one form or another. pRS muSt bE payIng tHem AlL

fiveightandten

Silver Supporting Member
Cool story bro. Enjoy your reality.
I do.

If you’re not actually on the payroll, my advice is to decide by playing one and not from the sound on your tube videos. Strat pickups can be easily swapped, small height adjustments make a huge difference, and you’re taking about a guitar made of Poplar with a 8.25 radius neck compared to whatever iteration of the Vintera you’re looking at (which is sounds like you also haven’t played). The standard Vintera models have *really* small frets and 7.25 radius, the neck feels old school. The modified iterations feel like a modern guitar and have a totally different vibe to them (9.25 and much taller frets).

PRS appears to be splitting the difference. The wood and the neck radius are deviations that will make a big difference compared to what Fender is making. The headstock as well, due to the mass reduction. Get out there and play one if the decision isn’t obvious for you.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom