Why I'm thinking about getting an SE Silver Sky instead of a Fender

John Mayo

I do.

If you’re not actually on the payroll, my advice is to decide by playing one and not from the sound on your tube videos. Strat pickups can be easily swapped, small height adjustments make a huge difference, and you’re taking about a guitar made of Poplar with a 8.25 radius neck compared to whatever iteration of the Vintera you’re looking at (which is sounds like you also haven’t played). The standard Vintera models have *really* small frets and 7.25 radius, the neck feels old school. The modified iterations feel like a modern guitar and have a totally different vibe to them (9.25 and much taller frets).

PRS appears to be splitting the difference. The wood and the neck radius are deviations that will make a big difference compared to what Fender is making. The headstock as well, due to the mass reduction. Get out there and play one if the decision isn’t obvious for you.
Not sure what’s leading you to giving me purchase suggestions. I’m not even in the market for one of these.

Gms

Silver Supporting Member
People have been excited by the idea of the Silver Sky since it first came out, so this is the latest round of it. To me, it’s always just sounded like it’s just one of a million strat copies out there, but I’ve never gotten around to trying one out. To me, it’s all just talk until I’m able to play one myself. But, man, people do seem to love them.

aquanaut

Maybe you just live in a different geographic area. It's been a while since I could go somewhere nearby and play a guitar before I bought it.
Nearby?
It takes me 1/2 hour to drive down the mountain I live on, just to get to the nearest highway.
Then, the nearest town is Asheville NC which is another 2 hours or so.
Asheville has a few good music stores, but it ain't Los Angeles.
Never the less, if I decide to buy a guitar, I'm going to play it first. An instrument is a personal item, not like an amp or a pedal. Even factory made guitars are not identical.
Ordering one online is like rolling the dice. I don't want to take the time to repack it, take it to the shipping center, send it back and wait for my money. Especially if it takes more than one attempt to get the one I decide to keep.

It seems like ever since the silver sky came out there’s been interest in an se model. To suggest this is a marketing ploy seems a bit naive

I don’t think it’s naive to say this is a part of the marketing ploy, though. We’re just seeing the results of PRS’ “total saturation” approach with guitar YouTube seeping into the message boards and I think it’s rubbing a lot of people the wrong way.

how many different threads does one piece of gear need, yknow?

John Mayo

I don’t think it’s naive to say this is a part of the marketing ploy, though. We’re just seeing the results of PRS’ “total saturation” approach with guitar YouTube seeping into the message boards and I think it’s rubbing a lot of people the wrong way.

how many different threads does one piece of gear need, yknow?
Fender Acoustasonic had a similar roll out. It received mostly hate and mockery. Marketing won’t necessarily fix a guitar people don’t like. Not only are people posting about it, but it sounds like people are buying a ton of them. There’s a thing called product market fit and it sounds like prs nailed it. Bunch of butt hurt in the forums here because the “headstock is wrong.” Gimme a break, it’s quite easy to ignore the 5 posts there have been so far. People are free to comment on other ones…

dazco

Personally with several features in the SS SE that IMO impede real strat tone to a great degree, i'd opt for the vintera all day long every day. Not even a question in my mind. If you go by what you hear in videos you're cheating yourself because it's one of the worse ways to compare IMO. Even a lot of players who've player or own they admit they don't sound like a strat to one degree or another.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
For $850 I’d buy the PRS over any Fender Strat in that price range. Paul Smith and the gang takes the quality of their guitars very seriously . From SE‘s on up….. can’t say the same for Fender…..

pc131

Putting such awful headstock on a stratocaster is utter disgrace to this iconic guitar and should be punished with jail.

GridArt_20220116_015147129_edit_31390860388959.jpg

Gizmot

Silver Supporting Member
My Fullerton made G&L Legacy I grabbed off Reverb for 700 bones has more than satisfied my strat needs.
After listening and watching several of the videos, I went and played my Legacy that was custom shop built for me over 25 years ago. i think the SS and the SE SS are really nice guitars, but neither of them offer enough more sonically to make we want one. I’m going to buy a PRS guitar soon, but not an SS

Trending Topics

Top Bottom