Why is a Takamine easier to play than a Guild?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Cuthbert, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Member

I have a nice 70's D40C guild that I'd like to play out with. It kind of hurts the hand though compared to my friend's Takamines. Same string guage, why would this be so?

2. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

If I had to guess I would say probably different neck profile, nut width, board radius, and string spread at the bridge. These are the starting points when buying a guitar. Does not really matter what it sounds like if you do not like the feel.

3. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

What is the action on the two guitars?

hunter

4. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Action at the nut, saddle, relief.

5. H. Mac

H. Mac Member

Bingo. It sounds like the Guild hasn't been properly set up.

6. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

It has nothing to do with the brand name. I have a $250 Chinese Ibanez that plays better than Martins, Takamines and Taylors.

7. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Member

Could be any number of reasons, all have to do with the setup.

8. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

Scale length matters as well as set up and string choices.

My Santa Cruz acoustic actually plays easier than my telecaster. Unless I use very light strings I have trouble grabbing strings for accurate bending on electric if my strings are low.

9. Schafrocks

Schafrocks Member

Because it probably needs set up.

10. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

I find Guild acoustics awkward as well. They usually have a wide neck with a D-shaped profile, which isn't my favorite. They seem to feel "tight," making fretting a little more challenging.

I wonder if the tops are thicker than other guitars and offer less give. It could also be something else (maybe the necks are quartersawn, the truss rods are heavier, the fingerboards are thicker, or the neck angle is different). Maybe the frets are flatter, or taller. It's been a while since I played one.

Takamines seem to be designed from the ground up to be played plugged in. The necks are thinner and rounder. They don't have a compelling tone played acoustically, but they're designed to sound good plugged in and resist feeding back. This may lead to design decisions that favor playability rather than acoustic tone production. For instance, they may have a flatter neck angle than others, which can fell "looser" but may not offer the projection of a guitar designed to fill a room on its own.