Why is everyone selling their Eternity???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MarkWorth, Dec 20, 2005.

1. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

They just seem to keep popping up on the classified ads here...

I thought they were the cat's meow. What happened?

-j

2. turtleheadblues

turtleheadblues Senior Member

It always happens when a builder is very hot at the moment and sell TONS of the pedal. Its just going to happen. I wouldnt however consider 4 or so in the last month or so alot. I have a rough idea of the volume Sean is doing and the ratio is very good. The Eternity is a killer pedal. I guarantee if Sean stopped production today for a month or so you would see them on Ebay in the 4-500 range quickly.

Its also that time of the year. Lots of coal and toys to buy.

Also notice they usually sell within minutes :0P

3. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

lol, i was wondering the same thing myself. personal preferences, tone is subjective dude.

4. Lution

Lution Member

Santa

5. turtleheadblues

turtleheadblues Senior Member

Cmon Ill pay more for your autograph on it. Ive got trades :dude

6. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

sold mine today to jdsgilmour. :D

7. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

Somewhere near the Rock and Roll "Hole of Flames"
    Me neither....;)

8. stratofied

stratofied Member

My Eternity isn't going anywhere, for now anyway.

9. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I replaced mine with a Honey Bee. Just works better for my tastes.

The Eternity was a GREAT pedal for sure, but tone is subjective and the HB was just that much greater with my gear, to my ears. It's like the E got me 80% there... the HB gets me 93% there. They're both similar re: touch responsiveness, and gain range (surprisingly more with the HB)... but the HB was EQ'ed flatter, and I love the Nature knob interaction.

I actually would have kept the E anyway (it definately would still have uses - awesome as a booster), but I needed funding for an EGDM that I just purchased. ;)

-Ben

10. Deaj

Deaj Member

I can't see selling my Eternity.

11. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

I saw one that went on ebay for $375. I love my eternity but I'd sell it for that and then buy another one.

12. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

Ben, tell me more about the Honey Bee.what rig are you using with it? i too sold my etern and was thinking about a HB and a COT 50. i have a Mosferatu and lovepedal Karl on the way.

13. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

To me the HB is a great blend of things I liked about other pedals. Like crossing a Timmy with an Eternity. So, the HB isn't transparent as the Timmy, but it has a pretty neutral EQ with some thickening... sort of how the Eternity thickens, but without the E's EQ shift.

The gain itself sounds kind of like a Red Snapper's crossed with a Clark Gainster's... and it never gets harsh. And of course, remember it has that 'thickening' going on, so while it may have similar gain qualities with the Snapper, it has a lot more body and bass (available) than the Snapper (and Timmy).

It's not as smooth as the E (which I thought was a little too smooth)... it has just the right amount of bite in there... and that can tuned with the Nature knob... which also does a significant bass boost, and mild treble rolloff. No doubt this is in the smooth camp with the E, Zen, and Gainster. But it has the right little sprinkling of Timmyish, Snapperish edge to bring it out and keep it from being too muffled.

The dynamics are the best I've heard. I played through it with my PRS CU24 that has a SD '59 in the neck and Custom5 in the bridge, and my Strat Elite. Even with the 'Drive' up at 3-4 o'clock, subtle, light picking sounds like a clean guitar through a Plexi at the beginning of breakup... I'm thinking specifically of the clean guitar intro at the beginning of The Darkness' "Holding My Own". Actually, it sounds exactly like that when played delicately. Maybe with a touch less low string definition... but not smeared low string definition a la Timmy. You gotta remember, he's playing with 13's on his Paul, so things ring a bit better and have a bit more bite. Here's a clip of that song intro for an idea- remember this is an example of what I think the HB sounds like at it's lowest gain setting or when played very lightly if the 'Drive' is cranked:
    http://home.comcast.net/~bcoutu/hmoclip.mp3

And it doesn't shift from almost clean to HELLO, OVERDRIVE IS NOW ON AT FULL GAIN. There's a great gradual increase in gain the harder you pick... very smooth curve... very nice cleanup... not splatty at all. I know some OD's sound like arcs-n-sparks coming off a power line when they're 'cleaning up' or when the note is fading out... you'll get none of that nasty here.

I use a wide variety of guitars with fatter Fenders- Fender HR Deville 2x12, '76 Twin, '67 Bassman. Not Tweeds, not Blackfaces. I have a Fargen Bordeaux 4xEL34 coming soon, and I think it should be great with that too. I can't see this pedal NOT working with an amp, esp. with the Nature control at your disposal.

Hope this helps... PM me if you have any other Q's. I feel like I"ve already derailed this thread a-plenty.
    http://home.comcast.net/~bcoutu/honeybee.jpg

-Ben

Oh yes- and the HB can sound big. No boxy here. I turned the Nature knob full counterclockwise and it sounded more massive and room-filling than the ReezaFRATzitz with its bias knob set full clockwise (if you know what I mean).

And another thing- the Mos sounded very woofy and mid-congested to me. I had the 3-knob version. If you hear that too, maybe our ears are alike and we may like the same things.

14. Ned

Ned Member

i just received my eternity and cannot see selling it anytime soon...or anytime for that matter...what a great pedal! fab50 --> eternity makes me smile also :) i think it is because sean is getting more of them out fast...it only took me about a week to receive mine so the more you get out...the more people have them and the more variance you have in people who love//dislike what they buy...its also the holiday season where people are trying to gain as much cash as possible and you can get quite a nice amount of cash for the eternity...i still love mine though :JAM

15. Jim Martin

Jim Martin Member

What the heck? I ordered one and got it in a few weeks...$375 is taking the instant gratification thing to extremes.

16. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Its always the same scenareo, people build up a pedals greatness and so the masses go and buy it and then its not what they like when they get it so they sell it......... I've done that way too many times!

17. T-bone

T-bone Member

That's pretty much the same reason I let my E go. I already had a HB and man I just love it. Now I'm just trying to figure out which BJF box I need to push the HB into high gain -LGW or the EGDM maybe his fuzz.

18. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

WOW! that was more than helpful. thanks

19. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

T-Bone: I have an EGDM due to get here by the end of the week... if I remember I'll follow up with how I think it works solo and with the HB.

StevieRaveOn68: No problem! I hope I didn't reference too many pedals people didn't have experience with... but if you have experienced them, you should have a really good idea of what I was trying to get across.

-Ben

20. chinatown

chinatown Member

I want one~~~~~~~~~~