Why is guitar standard tuning kind of at odds with most horns / woodwinds?

bobcs71

As a horn player, I can confidently say that horn players don’t give a **** and can play in any key, and don’t try to dictate anything. I played on reggae/ska/dub bands for years and everything was in ‘guitar keys’ and no horn players cared. They aren’t scared by flats or sharps.
In the 90s I played with a group that had a horn section who were mostly Disney players. A trumpet player wrote the charts and 90% of the stuff was in Bb or Eb. He was a working pro & had a good reputation as a player. They did dictate changing keys. Singers could get agitated. I just played guitar so I went with whatever key was put in front of me.
On the other side, I played outside of that situation at times with a couple of the sax players (one had played in Liberace's band & the other was a doctor who put himself through school playing) and neither of them winced at any key or arrangement.

Locatelli

It has been said before, no offense. Different or difficult keys are no problem for advanced players. If it seems difficult for you, practise more.
I had my moment of truth when I had to master the violin part of the slow movement of the Brahms Horn Trio. A flat minor...
After that nothing could scare me any more....

And with 3 or 4 note movable chords it's not difficult on the guitar, either.

It has been said before, no offense. Different or difficult keys are no problem for advanced players. If it seems difficult for you, practise more.
I had my moment of truth when I had to master the violin part of the slow movement of the Brahms Horn Trio. A flat minor...
After that nothing could scare me any more....

And with 3 or 4 note movable chords it's not difficult on the guitar, either.
No offense; it might be worthwhile to at least skim the thread before responding

rumbletone

Silver Supporting Member
In the 90s I played with a group that had a horn section who were mostly Disney players. A trumpet player wrote the charts and 90% of the stuff was in Bb or Eb. He was a working pro & had a good reputation as a player. They did dictate changing keys. Singers could get agitated. I just played guitar so I went with whatever key was put in front of me.
On the other side, I played outside of that situation at times with a couple of the sax players (one had played in Liberace's band & the other was a doctor who put himself through school playing) and neither of them winced at any key or arrangement.

If he wrote the charts, he was dictating as the arranger/MD. Being a horn player may have influenced his choices, but once he starts writing charts it’s not wearing the horn player hat (as would be the case with any player).

bobcs71

If he wrote the charts, he was dictating as the arranger/MD. Being a horn player may have influenced his choices, but once he starts writing charts it’s not wearing the horn player hat (as would be the case with any player).
The guy writing the horn charts was not the arranger/MD. The arranger/MD was the piano player. There was a power struggle with the trumpet player who wrote just the horn charts, the MD & the drummer who scheduled the talent. I outlasted the trumpet player & drummer by just keeping my head down & trying to play what I was supposed to.

rumbletone

Silver Supporting Member
The guy writing the horn charts was not the arranger/MD. The arranger/MD was the piano player. There was a power struggle with the trumpet player who wrote just the horn charts, the MD & the drummer who scheduled the talent. I outlasted the trumpet player & drummer by just keeping my head down & trying to play what I was supposed to.
By definition if you’re writing charts you’re an arranger. And by definition if someone is not taking direction from ‘the MD’, they are not ‘the MD’. :)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom