why is it so hard for non-musicians to grasp the concept of stage monitors?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by B_of_H, Nov 8, 2010.

1. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

ever tried to explain stage sound and what monitors do to someone? :rotflmao

what is so confusing about this? :bonk It seems pretty obvious to me.

2. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Never had a problem explaining the concept to anyone.

3. Kanuck

Kanuck Member

how is confusing for them?

4. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

you must play to smarter crowds. ;)

it seems to me like they just can't understand how it would be hard to hear something that is loud and clear FOH I think perhaps. We had a few people in the bar watching soundcheck and they both thought we were spending a lot of time trying to make it sound perfect for the audience. I admitted it was all time spent dialing in the sound onstage, we trust our FOH engineer. They were extremely confused. I tried my best to explain how it works but I think they just didn't understand how hard it is to hear everything on some stages, completely foreign concept apparently. They kept saying 'sounds great to me' (sitting out front)

this has happened in some way shape or form multiple times, maybe it's just me though.

5. wareagle

wareagle Member

I dont understand... Ive talked with people about them, once i say its important for a musician to hear themselves with the band they understand

6. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

"you mean you cant hear the keyboard player? he's right next to you and loud as hell"

7. isfahani

isfahani Member

What, you're saying consumers are ignorant? Hmnnnn, no surprise there.

Carry on, keep trying to explain, maybe it will work eventually.

8. oldschoolguy

oldschoolguy Member

I used to have a difficult time understanding lots of things when I had even one or two drinks down without a good dinner first. Let see....Hume, Kant, differential equations.... where I left my car keys (you get the picture). Others seem to take it all in stride and you can't tell much difference.

9. Matt Jones

Matt Jones Member

Non musicians? no

Some of the band members? yes

:)

10. teleharmonium

teleharmonium Member

+1. Plenty of gigging musicians - especially horn players, for some reason - do not understand that they don't need to be bone crushingly loud in the monitors in order to be clearly heard over the drums to the audience out in front of the mains.

11. The Norwegian Guy

The Norwegian Guy Member

+1
    :bow

12. GCDEF

GCDEF Member

I can honestly say I don't think I've ever discussed stage monitors with a non-musician. It just doesn't come up in conversation.

13. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Nope. I've had people want to know what "those boxes" are in the front of the stage and it's a pretty easy leap to the FOH sending the music out to the crowd but not back to the musicians, especially the vocals. I usually say that it's to hear the vocals but each musician can have anything else put in his monitor mix if he needs it.

I'm a big fan of low and controlled stage volume BTW.

14. russiancrowe

russiancrowe Member

The soundman at our church seems to have a hard time understanding what they are for, other than that no ones ever asked.

15. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

We don' need no steenkin monitors!!!

I just turn my amps up louder so I can hear myself. Who needs to hear the stupid drummer, anyway?

16. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Why do I have the feeling the next thread is "I can't understand why it so hard explaining to musicians, that non-musicians can't grasp the concept of stage monitors"

:bonk

:hide2

17. SGNick

SGNick Member

I can see why. I never understood what they were for until I started playing live, and it's just that. Why would I need more speakers facing this way? Everything is so loud!

Now that I'm playing, I wouldn't want to do it without them!!

18. heavysoul

heavysoul Member

you're post seems to be referring to non-musicians. i think that's exactly why they might not understand. unless they're actually up there playing, it's going to be hard for them to realize that what a musician hears on stage sounds completely different than what one hears out in the audience.

19. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Yeah...it is probably a lot easier to explain if you lead with that.

People really don't know that it is different, and once they get that, "what you hear is not the same as what we hear up there, so we need to have our own mix of the sounds so we can hear what everyone is doing" ought to work.

20. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

At work, people know I'm a musician and know about PAs and stuff. Once a woman came to me and said "we're going to have a big meeting with a lot of people in a big room and the man speaking has a very quiet voice. So I bought a microphone. Can you show me how to use it to make him loud?" I'm no longer surprised by the naiveté of non-musicians when it comes to PA issues.

I would say "we use the main PA speakers to make the quiet things as loud as the loud things for the people in front, where the main speakers are pointed. We use the monitors to make the quiet things as loud as the loud things for the people on stage, where the monitor speakers are pointed."

-Scott