Why is it so hard to buy a RedBear?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Hulakatt, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

In the past few months I've purchased and paid for 2 RedBear MK60 heads, 1 through eBay and 1 through Reverb. Both sellers flaked out a few days after the sale and refunded my money. Neither gave any reason or anything but I suspect they wished they had sold for more. The Reverb dude kinda pissed me off because I made him and offer and he agreed to it. Why agree and then flake?

Just pissed and venting a bit. I've been looking for a decent deal on one of these heads for almost a year, they just don't pop up that often and prices can vary kinda wildly.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  2. highrise

highrise Member

I'd take it as a sign.

3. Geeze

Geeze Silver Supporting Member

Drifting about Tennessee in Marshall Heaven
    Times like this I wish there was a 'Choke the living sh*t out of him until he sees reason!' button on the phone / computer. There'd be lots less of this BS behavior.

Keep trying - you've been such good boy this year!

Russ

C-4 likes this.
  4. ungarn

ungarn Member

Not sure why you want a RB...but there are LOTS of great amps out there that are not Soviet Union relics...

5. Vibroluxman

Vibroluxman Member

I saw that Redbear on Reverb. He dropped the price to $300, I was tempted to buy it at that. Did you get him any lower?? I could see why he might have regrets.

6. Hulakatt

and I've played a lot of great amps too but I just like what the RB has to offer. I wouldn't mind a JCM800 either and I may end up building a 1987 Lead spec but the RB's typically come cheaper than what I could buy the parts for to build a Marshall clone. The Reverb seller agreed to sell it to me for approx. $300 shipped before he flaked out.

big mike likes this.
  7. highrise

highrise Member

Don't they use a bunch of hard to find tubes?

There's plenty of Sovteks around if you absolutely have to play an amp that smells of cabbage. ;)

8. ungarn

ungarn Member

Hmm...if interested in JCM800 type amp, an old Peavey VTM might be up your alley...surely more solid build...

9. Hulakatt

The tubes are certainly not common but not hard to find in abundant supply for cheap. I've owned Sovteks, the RedBear is a different beast. Throwing them in the same bin is like throwing Peavey and Gibson in the same bin because they are (were) both made in the US.

Laurence likes this.
  10. Hulakatt

Took a bit but I finally have a MK60 on it's way to me! Only took 5 years of hunting. Of course I'll have to rip the carpet off and have some fun with the wood...

Geeze likes this.
  11. Geeze

Geeze Silver Supporting Member

Drifting about Tennessee in Marshall Heaven
    Pics please!

Russ

12. Hulakatt

I will when it shows up and more pics as I "fix" the shell of course!

13. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

They were good Amps
    Especially if you rewire the sockets for 12ax7

14. bluesoul

bluesoul Gold Supporting Member

I had one of those....pretty much based on a JCM 800 as I recall. That or a VTM for the price will get ya close. Enjoy!

15. Hulakatt

I've read that changing to a 12ax7 type does change the character of the amp but that (unsurprisingly) Sovtek 12ax7's generally sound the best in the Redbears.

16. SAVEStheDAY

SAVEStheDAY Member

Those goofy preamp tubes (6n2p?) have scared me away, but I've always wanted a Red Bear head. Matt Talbott of HUM used one way back when, and I've always loved that band. I hope you enjoy yours!

17. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

While on vacation earlier this month I saw a 120w in good shape for very cheap in a West Virginia pawn shop (Morgantown). I asked the owner if he did internet sales, and got 'nope'. I advised him these things where beginning to draw a cult folowing and the prices have gone up and he should check it out.

I don't need a 120w Red Bear; we were knife shopping.

bluesoul likes this.
  18. Hulakatt

Ok, it's been in my house for a month or so and I've been able to wind it up a few times so far and it's pretty awesome. There's a good amount of gain on top, a lot of volume available, plenty of high end sizzle and a huge bottom end :D. The cleans are monstrous and rich but that dirt is just so good! Hard choices and 1st world problems abound!

There is a noticeable amount of hiss at moderate volumes and, while I haven't checked out if it's the stock tubes or if it's been converted to the 12ax7's, I suspect from the noise that it has been converted. If not, it needs, and will get, some love.