Why is it so hard to find the right strat?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kimos55, Apr 22, 2008.

1. kimos55

kimos55 Follow your dreams turst your heart Silver Supporting Member

For the past two years I have been playing my CS Les Paul and my 335 both guitars I love. I sold my strats a few years ago to get a Baker, I regret selling my strats but what is done is done. Anyway I can't find the right strat now because?
    Is it because strats are not as full sounding as my LP obliviously? What can I do? Am I destined never to have the love of a strat anymore? I just picked up a new Vintage 50's strat custom ordered through a shop here in LA. 1st the frets are too low or the action is just off, I found it hard to bend the strings on the upper part of the neck and the finish that Fender puts on all their guitars necks now. Their is also the sound. Do I add new pups and if I do what to put on? Do I re fret the guitar and just try and make this the strat a keeper? I am bummed out because I just want a great players strat and I can't seem to find one. By the way this is like the 4th strat I have picked up and can't bond with in the past year. Help all advice is welcome.

2. smallcrap

smallcrap Member

This may fall on deaf ears but....

When my 99 Standard American Strats frets started getting too low, I started looking for a new one. Custom Shop this, Masterbuilt that....

None of them measured up in tone or feel my 99. The best Strats I've ever played have been regular "old" bone stock Americans. I've yet to play one of the higher end Relics, etc. that felt or sounded that great. Admittedly though, I've maybe played only ten of the "higher end" strats.

I may be in the minority here but I happen to think that Fender is still putting out some very good Standard American guitars. I and two friends of mine have had particularly good luck with 98s and 99s.

I have a 2007 that plays and feels great all around but lacks the bottom that my 99 has, maybe the pickups...

3. dave s

dave s Member

many times, you have to play several strats to find one you like. Or, play some more! :jo

If you're playing CS Gibsons, have you tried CS strats? I'm impressed with Fender CS products. Many CS strat modelsl come with the modern 9.5" radius and Dunlop 6105 (for example) frets which makes them play better, IMO.

Right now, my 2 CS strats are the '69 heavy relics. Both have the flatter fretboard radius, jumbo frets and CS Fat 50s pickups. Thin nitro finish on bodies and removed from the neck. Both are really THICK sounding acousitcally and even better sounding through my amps.

Good luck strat shopping. There ARE plenty of good ones out there.

dave

4. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

Find a good used one there are plenty for sale, why buy new if you can't find a decent new one

5. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I've found that it's harder to find the right strat, but once you do it's hard to let go of it. I have my partocaster goldie strat that I love...and damn if I didn't pull out my 1966 Strat last night and about melt to it's tone and feel! :)

6. SoSure

SoSure Member

Coming from a Gibson background, I always felt like the sheer number of parts involved (trem, saddles, springs) and stuff that can be adjusted always made it hard for me to find one I thought I'd love, just because they were never set up well in stores.

I eventually found one I dug though.

7. smallcrap

smallcrap Member

Come on, that's just not fair....

8. Bullhonky Deluxe

Bullhonky Deluxe Supporting Member

I stopped trying to find a Strat that I could deal with on all levels, and I'd been playing Tele's exclusively for a few years. I was presented with a chance to buy a Rory Gallagher Strat at an insanely low price ... so I drove out to pick it up (fully expecting I'd end up turning it within' a week) and found the greatest Strat since my mid 60's Strat that I foolishly sold. It's since become my #1 guitar.

9. customstrat

customstrat Member

Here is what I did....I played about everyone that Fender offered, picked out the features on each one I liked and then built it. It cost me about 450 to build and it is exactly what I was looking for. Ebay can be your friend.

Alder body
    57 RI MIM neck
    Vintage noiseless pups

[​IMG]

10. kimos55

kimos55 Follow your dreams turst your heart Silver Supporting Member

1st the reason I bought a new one was to support my local music store and I wanted a Sea foam Green guitar with a maple neck.

2nd I realise now that 7.25” Radius is not what I like.
    The 9.5 Radius
    I think that is why I like the way my LP plays too.

with med jumbo frets is what I need.

Now if I were get a 90's and just upgrade the pups. Any
    one can recommends a pups. I Almost got a Jeff Beck
    Guitar. He used the noiseless pups. Any feedback here?

11. customstrat

customstrat Member

The hot noiseless's were too "strong" for my liking. I am weaker pup type of guy but wanted the noiseless aspect also so i went with the VN. The JBJ pickup from Duncan is better IMHO than the Fender ones if you want the Beck sound.

12. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

If you've been playing a Gibson for a while, you may need to just put it down for a while. Humbuckers have a much more powerful sound that can overpower a singlecoil if you're not used too it. I don't think it's hard to find a good strat...but like any guitar...it's hard to find one that speaks too you. Just put the money in the bank...and casually look, you'll know when you find it.

13. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I have a modified 73 strat that has all the things I had done in the early 80's. Shaller tuners, a graphite nut, Dunlop super jumbo frets, 2 classic stack Seymour Duncan singles, a JB full humbucker in the bridge, 5 way and a 3 position coil tap. Rewired tone controls, one for the single stacks and the other separate for the humbucker. Dimarzio solid brass bridge and trem block, rosewood neck, body is yellowed white and a true relic with paint chips down to the wood and all. This guitar smokes. This is my favorite axe and a tonal chameleon. I own a number of instruments including Gibsons, Fenders, PRS, Danos etc.

14. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

I always played an LP or SG, had a real tough time finding a strat, bought and gave away several. Finally picked up a HSS Texas Special and after changing the pickups I really love that, the humbucker I wired for split coils, so I get the Humbucker and single coil tone, I uses the Rio Grande Fat Bottom Dual Calibrated Set and have a large range of great tones. I have moved to playing that guitar primarily because of its ease of playing and versitily, stlil have my LPs but they are not my primary guitars anymore.

I also find using a compressor helps with a strat, or a delay with a short delay to bring out the tone, my compressor is a Vox Snake Charmer, its neutral sounding which is what I like, delays can be just about anything, just set the delay to about 50ms, what to increase the tone. I will say I am using the compressor now that I found one I like.

15. fusion58

fusion58 Member

The '99 American Standards are pretty good for what they are.

I have a pair of them (one S/S/S and one H/H) I take to places where I don't want to take my more valuable instruments.

http://www.daimone-sound.com/gearhead.html

http://www.daimone-sound.com/more.html

I replaced the trem blocks with Callaham blocks in both guitars and replaced the PUs with some that sounded better to my ears, and I'm very pleased with the results.

16. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

I'm a 40+ year Strat-o-holic of the highest order...but I don't care for 95% of the one's I try out. Even Strats with the exact same specs can sound and play very different. The gems are out there...you just have to take the time and sort through dozens & dozens until a gem finds you.

17. Chuck Snider

Chuck Snider Supporting Member

I agree.... I have a 1983 off- the wall strat that is my soul mate..
    on the third refret, the the neck was butchered., I was devastated. couldn't get it to be what it was with many aftermarket necks. Finally ,in 04,got a guy to build a neck for me that actually worked and my 83 is back and I'm happy about it!
    there's a strat out there with your name on it, maybe.. Like Vaughn, I'm a strat ONLY dude.. not one strat is the same as the next........ Period

18. eddie101

eddie101 Member

I could not agree more with what Vaughn just said. Although I've been a Stratcat for a long time, I went to the "bucker route due to my frustration with "lesser strats" and, as Vaughn alluded, there are a plenty of them out there. I have recently bought a great sounding EJ strat from a fellow TGPer - Jim Fogarty, thanks, Jim :dude - and I am in love with Strat all over again. They're out there and the trick is to find them.

19. m@2

m@2 Member

my guitar journey was the opposite. started with only gibson... fell in love with teles and esquires a few years back, sold most of the gibsons. Now, i can't find a les paul i can bond with. Never thought I'd say that!

20. Galejt

Galejt Member

I bought a Hamer Daytona. $500 and had Philtone set it up. Very nice.