• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Why Is It That With Some Guys Who Buy An Expensive Modeler...

tjontheroad

Just Wanna Be Misunderstood
Gold Supporting Member
... always want to know what is the cheapest monitor that can buy to plug into it? I might be preaching to the choir here, but come on guys. I see this question posted all over the net time and time again;

I just bought a $$$,000 awesome Framper Q Heltex (I'm copyrighting that name ;) )!!! What cheap monitors are out there for some one like me who didn't budget for it in the first place? :jo

Are these the same dudes who buy a big dollar boutique tube amp head and plug into their car stereo?

:sarcasm

LaXu

These are the same people who would otherwise buy a high end tube amp and then ask which Harley Benton cab to plug into it or buy that Marshall MG 4x12 they found on Craigslist. It's insanity.

That's why when anyone asks which modeler to get I tell them to also budget for a good output system.

James Freeman

Dude, everyone knows that to get the best sound is to plug your modeler into the red mic jack of your laptop, then enable "Listen to this device" in microphone properties.

Pictorial:
img_5becbf3d822a7.jpg

microphone-listen-to-this-device.png

Trick Fall

I think sometimes it's a lack of knowledge. I mean there seems to be a fair amount of decent sounding powered monitors available for not a lot of money. What kind of blows my mind more are the number of musicians who have nothing better than an inexpensive bluetooth speaker to listen to music on.

tjontheroad

Just Wanna Be Misunderstood
Gold Supporting Member
These are the same people who would otherwise buy a high end tube amp and then ask which Harley Benton cab to plug into it or buy that Marshall MG 4x12 they found on Craigslist. It's insanity.

That's why when anyone asks which modeler to get I tell them to also budget for a good output system.

My point exactly :aok

Dude, everyone knows that to get the best sound is to plug your modeler into the red mic jack of your laptop, then enable "Listen to this device" in microphone properties.

Pictorial:
img_5becbf3d822a7.jpg

microphone-listen-to-this-device.png

I'm sure there's some hit record right now on the Billboard hot 100 produced with this distinct "sound".

Watt McCo

Similarly irresponsible though are the shouts of "spend as much on your monitor as you do on your modeler!!!". Guitar modelers are a super narrow market segment serving only a small portion of guitarists. Monitors are an old-ass, well understood technology that serves a huge market segment - as long as you aren't scraping the bottom of the barrel or buying something designed specifically to be boomy/scoopy, you can get a pretty decent monitor for not a lot of money.

Will Chen

Platinum Supporting Member
as long as you aren't scraping the bottom of the barrel or buying something designed specifically to be boomy/scoopy, you can get a pretty decent monitor for not a lot of money.

I'd even suggest corrective EQ can go a long, long way in these scenarios towards "fixing" things. To be clear, I'm not suggesting there isn't merit to spend up a bit but I also think being real about one's usage/goals is important here. Like...if you only play at home an expensive high wattage PA support type of monitor for your small room is a waste of money.

randombastage

Gold Supporting Member
You buy the best complete system you can afford. No different than buying laptop or TV + surround sound. Go for the full package right off the bat.
That is your opinion, not necessarily a correct statement however.
the question you are reacting to wasn’t - ‘help me pick a cheap monitor because I don’t think high priced gear is warranted’…
Getting the quality modeler opens the door for the new user to explore the modeling universe with a quality tool and make recordings etc. a decent pair of headphones is a great way to get the benefits of what it offers. The benefit you think exists for sitting on that money for another year until they can also afford high end monitors doesn’t make up for the year lost.

hobbes1

..if you only play at home an expensive high wattage PA support type of monitor for your small room is a waste of money.
I disagree. I’m not playing out these days but I recently bought a CLR and an FM9. The latter because I wanted to try the latest gen modeling and the former because I want to hear the latter in it’s best “light”. I will be moving on some other gear to balance to financial scales.

to the OP’s point: I believe that many times ignorance is the root cause. For me, it’s been a journey to understand what works and doesn’t work in modeling monitor solutions. It is not always obvious what is going to sound the best to you until you educate yourself and try new things.

I’ve been buying and selling gear for years asI have worked my way to better gear. TGP has been invaluable in learning about better equipment and I enjoy each moment of playing because I am hearing my gear so clearly. YMMv.

Aquinas

Silver Supporting Member
This is the exact same phenomena of people who have a $5k guitar and $5k pedalboard playing through a Hot Rod Deluxe and begging the Effects forum for "amp in a box" suggestions, but taken to its logical extreme.

Output system isn't nearly as much "fun" as the stuff you put into it!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom