Why is it that?

swampstomper

Silver Supporting Member
When you have a string binding in the nut slot it always pings just as the string is coming into perfect tune?

schristie

Silver Supporting Member
This is actually an amazing question. I too would love to know why this happens.

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
If the string is being pinched in the nut slot, all it takes is the right amount of pressure to unpinch it. The fix is polishing and/or widening the nut slots or replacing the nut, the band aid is lubricating the nut slots.

swampstomper

Silver Supporting Member
If the string is being pinched in the nut slot, all it takes is the right amount of pressure to unpinch it. The fix is polishing and/or widening the nut slots or replacing the nut, the band aid is lubricating the nut slots.

I'd bet most here are aware of the remedies. I'm just curious about the phenomenon.

I maintain my answer. It's never gonna have enough tension way below being in tune to ping and still be below tune. Instead, you get it near tune, it pings, and suddenly its above where you want it. So it seems like it was "right there". If it was tuning smoothly, it would've been in tune somewhere in that range, but probably not right at the spot where it pinged. And there are probably some that would start to bind above pitch, but, like I said, you never notice those, because you're not trying to tune it up there.

Or, I dunno, gnomes.

swampstomper

Silver Supporting Member
I maintain my answer. It's never gonna have enough tension way below being in tune to ping and still be below tune. Instead, you get it near tune, it pings, and suddenly its above where you want it. So it seems like it was "right there". If it was tuning smoothly, it would've been in tune somewhere in that range, but probably not right at the spot where it pinged. And there are probably some that would start to bind above pitch, but, like I said, you never notice those, because you're not trying to tune it up there.

Or, I dunno, gnomes.

Your explanation does make sense, but the ping always seems to occur when the string is just a few cents away from perfect tune.

Coincidence? I DON'T THINK SO!!!

angelo

So I generally try to be a KISS kinda guy...

Try tuning that string a 1/2 step sharp a few times then back down and up to pitch. I bet the "new" ping spot becomes a 1/2 sharp and no longer right in tune. I imagine it is pinging because that's where it has been seated with the greatest amount of pressure. I bet it loosens up and never a problem again... unless you whammy.

swampstomper

Silver Supporting Member
So I generally try to be a KISS kinda guy...

Try tuning that string a 1/2 step sharp a few times then back down and up to pitch. I bet the "new" ping spot becomes a 1/2 sharp and no longer right in tune. I imagine it is pinging because that's where it has been seated with the greatest amount of pressure. I bet it loosens up and never a problem again... unless you whammy.

This is great stuff. Keep the theories coming!

mango

Why is it that you always find the thing in the last spot you look ? Everytime .

Trending Topics