Why is my bridge humbucker so bright?

titansfan4196

I recently bought a strat that I’ve been wanting for a long time and pickups that I’ve been looking at for a while as well...

Fender American Professional Stratocaster with roasted maple neck, rosewood fretboard, jumbo frets.

HSS pickup layout with lollar pickups. Blackface neck and middle, F-spaced standard Imperial. Also added the Emerson prewired electronics.

I’m really liking this guitar, love the neck and middle pickups. The Imperial sounds great but its so dang bright. Its overly ‘spanky’ and almost sounds like a single coil, even with the tone knob rolled back.

This is my first HSS strat so maybe its how its supposed to be but I’m not used to it. I told an experienced guitarist I know about it and he described it as a very ‘clean’ humbucker. Again, I’ve been playing guitar for 11 years, played a PRS for 7 of those years. I consider myself a really decent guitarist, but its only in the past year or so that I’ve really gotten deep into knowing my gear.

What are your thoughts?

StummerJoe

Platinum Supporting Member
First thought is did the pickup get wired correctly? Second thoughts are what are the values of the pots? Third thoughts are adjust the treble on your amp.

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
I found that Seymour Duncan Screamin Demon worked well in a bridge position of a Strat.

Mincer

If it is really bright and you don't like that, it would be OK to look for another pickup. Or possibly even swap the magnet out.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
Lollars to me have always been to bright. Try a Zhangbucker Duane 9500 ohms or Duane plus 9900 ohms.... perfect balance of highs, mids and lows. Incredible pickups.. remember to that with a Strat, it’s gonna be brighter than say the same pickup in an LP.. scale length, woods used, bolt on neck ect....I have a set of Duanes in this Warmoth Tele I built.. sounds a lot like an LP.. but it’s short scale, Limba body tuneamatic stop tailpiece..it all makes a difference...View media item 102024

Guppie

almost sounds like a single coil, even with the tone knob rolled back.
This is weird.
Do you mean it's still bright or it still sounds like a single coil? If it's the first there is something weird going on.
If it's the latter you have done it! You have found the holy grail of humbuckers in the TGP world!! A humbucker with all the spank and dynamics of a single coil! (Or it's wired parallel).
Maybe measure the resistance on the output jack with the switch on the bridge pickup and all knobs on ten. If it's below 5 kohm it's probably wired parallel.

I recently bought a strat that I’ve been wanting for a long time and pickups that I’ve been looking at for a while as well...

Fender American Professional Stratocaster with roasted maple neck, rosewood fretboard, jumbo frets.

HSS pickup layout with lollar pickups. Blackface neck and middle, F-spaced standard Imperial. Also added the Emerson prewired electronics.

I’m really liking this guitar, love the neck and middle pickups. The Imperial sounds great but its so dang bright. Its overly ‘spanky’ and almost sounds like a single coil, even with the tone knob rolled back.

This is my first HSS strat so maybe its how its supposed to be but I’m not used to it. I told an experienced guitarist I know about it and he described it as a very ‘clean’ humbucker. Again, I’ve been playing guitar for 11 years, played a PRS for 7 of those years. I consider myself a really decent guitarist, but its only in the past year or so that I’ve really gotten deep into knowing my gear.

What are your thoughts?
You would like a darker HB. I'd find out the specs of the HB, play a stock HSS, & figure where you want to be. Then go shopping.

ant_riv

Silver Supporting Member
Lollar Imperials are bright pups.
They taught me how to use my tone controls!

If the volume of the bridge balances well with the neck and middle, I’d suggest wiring the middle tone to the bridge pup and work with that for a while. If it’s not quite there, I’d try a different cap size.
If the volume of the bridge doesn’t match the volume of the neck and middle, I’d adjust it’s height, but I still think a dedicated tone for the bridge is the answer.

If it’s still no where near what you want, I’d look for another bridge pup.

Best wishes to you for finding what you are looking for!

TonePilot

Silver Supporting Member

What are your thoughts?
Hmm. If it has a treble bleed on the volume, try lifting the leg on that cap. Also, try lowering just the treble side of the pickup. If that all fails, you can wire the middle tone pot so that it also controls the bridge.

TonePilot

Silver Supporting Member
Lollars to me have always been to bright. Try a Zhangbucker Duane 9500 ohms or Duane plus 9900 ohms.... perfect balance of highs, mids and lows. Incredible pickups.. remember to that with a Strat, it’s gonna be brighter than say the same pickup in an LP.. scale length, woods used, bolt on neck ect....I have a set of Duanes in this Warmoth Tele I built.. sounds a lot like an LP.. but it’s short scale, Limba body tuneamatic stop tailpiece..it all makes a difference...View media item 102024
You have nice taste in guitars.

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
Well Different views for Sure about tone. A lot has to do with the guitar and amp itself.

Reactions: Rod

Trending Topics