why is my buffer making pedals pop?

Robio

Why would adding a buffer at the front of my chain make the next two pedals after in line pop when I engage them?
Rob.....

Robio

Thanks guys. I thought about that, but if I remove it from the chain the rig is back to normal. I just got it so its new addition to my board.
WhoJamFan, thats funny you say that. I have to do that with my chorus when I first fire up my rig. Works on that pedal but not the others.
Rob.......

WhoJamFan

Silver Supporting Member
Bummer, I always cycle my pedals a few times on stage while using my tuner(muted) before we play, nothing like nasty pops through a cranked amp to make people duck(;

h4ck.b0x7

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks guys. I thought about that, but if I remove it from the chain the rig is back to normal. I just got it so its new addition to my board.
WhoJamFan, thats funny you say that. I have to do that with my chorus when I first fire up my rig. Works on that pedal but not the others.
Rob.......

I'm going to guess your chorus is a Small Clone??

Caprica

Dc bleed from one of your pedals causes it.

You can get a dc filter from Lehle to get rid of the dc in your signal, isolate the bleeding pedal in a looper or just cycle your popping pedals before playing.

LSMFT6

We brake for nobody
Gold Supporting Member
Why would adding a buffer at the front of my chain make the next two pedals after in line pop when I engage them?
Rob.....

Are you powering it with or without isolation? I've had that cause popping issues before

Blue-moon

Gold Supporting Member
Buffers will sometimes make them pop...a bigger culprit is charge pumps. Is the pedal you added a Klone?

stinkfoot

If adding the buffer caused the pops (and therefore, removing it stops the pops), the first thing to check is the buffer itself. What kind of buffer is it? Does it have an output capacitor to block DC voltage leaks? Can you measure for voltage (in the mV range) across the output (from tip to ground)? If you find more than a few millivolts there, that would definitely cause pops in true bypass pedals downstream.

A quick test is to turn on the pedal closest to the buffer. If that stops the pops in the next pedal, the buffer is the most likely culprit.

Have you tried the buffer after the pedals in question? I use a Z-Vex SHO at the end of my chain to isolate my board from amp weirdness in NYC's roached out hourly rehearsal spaces, and pops can come randomly depending on the setup. The SHO eliminates the issue.

Robio

Thanks for all the ideas... It is the JHS Little Black Buffer. Brand new. I've tried it in a couple different locations and the same result... I am using an isolated power supply for my board. Even tried using a different lead out of the supply. I have a Timmy third in the chain and that ones the worst. My chain is: TurboTuner- EP Booster Archer Ikon- Timmy- Jetter 45/100- TC Nova delay- Small Clone(answer to h4ck.b0x7) TC HOF- to amp

Blue-moon

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for all the ideas... It is the JHS Little Black Buffer. Brand new. I've tried it in a couple different locations and the same result... I am using an isolated power supply for my board. Even tried using a different lead out of the supply. I have a Timmy third in the chain and that ones the worst. My chain is: TurboTuner- EP Booster Archer Ikon- Timmy- Jetter 45/100- TC Nova delay- Small Clone(answer to h4ck.b0x7) TC HOF- to amp

Did you solve the problem?

Prince

Silver Supporting Member
I have a JHS Little Black Buffer & the Timmy is the culprit as well. When I looked into this a few years ago, Jack Orman told me of some part I could replace, & even JHS said essentially the same thing. The simpler solution is to just turn on rig->mute tuner->click Timmy on/off a few times.

amz-fx

Silver Supporting Member
It is the JHS Little Black Buffer.

I did a quick search for the schematic of this and the ones that I found do not show a pulldown resistor on the output. This could be the problem, but it is worth mentioning that we don't know how accurate the schematic is, nor whether the design may have been changed since that person did the circuit trace. Nonetheless, without a pulldown resistor on the output, a pedal can cause others down the line from it to pop.

6 Reasons Guitar Pedals Pop When Switched

Best regards, Jack

Blue-moon

Gold Supporting Member
I did a quick search for the schematic of this and the ones that I found do not show a pulldown resistor on the output. This could be the problem, but it is worth mentioning that we don't know how accurate the schematic is, nor whether the design may have been changed since that person did the circuit trace. Nonetheless, without a pulldown resistor on the output, a pedal can cause others down the line from it to pop.

6 Reasons Guitar Pedals Pop When Switched

Best regards, Jack
Have you tried the Lehle DC filter...would that solve this issue?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom