Why is my Deluxe Reverb harsh sounding, and will Weber Alnicos Help?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by aram, Sep 11, 2009.

1. aram

aram Member

Hey all,

I've been playing an early seventies deluxe reverb for a couple of years now.

For some reason, the amp has always sounded a little brittle and harsh to me, especially compared to my blackface vibrochamp.

I clipped the bright cap and switched the speaker to a cannibis rex.

But still, it harsh to my ears.

I was thinking about putting one of these Weber Alnico speakers in it.

Has anyone hear ever used these?

And if so, how do they sound?

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/

2. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

What brand of preamp tubes are you using? What brand of power tubes and where do you have your bias set?

3. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Time for new power tubes maybe?

4. mbratch

mbratch Member

I'm surprised it sounds harsh with a CRex speaker. I have a Weber 12F150 in mine (ceramic) and I wouldn't call it harsh at all, and it's more Fender-twangy than a CRex (imho).

Do both channels sound harsh?
    Are you playing through pedals or direct?
    What speaker besides the CRex did you try?
    What do you set the tone controls to?
    What kind of guitar/pickups do you have?
    What do you set your guitar tone controls to?
    Has the bias been properly adjusted?

5. FFTT

FFTT Member

I'm surprised to hear you don't care for the C-Rex too.

That speaker worked wonders in my Blues Deluxe which was quite harsh before.

The Weber Blue Dog AlNiCo will definitely be smoother on top, but I'm not sure how you'll like the way the low end holds together.

You may want to consider the low efficiency 12A125A 30 watt , but it's going to bring
    the volume way down compared to the C-Rex

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  6. aram

aram Member

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I actually had the tubes changed recently. I'll look into what were but into it, but I believe they were JJs.

I'm playing a Rick Kelly pine tele through it with Don Mare Super SPorts and a King of Tone.

7. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Nice guitar! Nice pickups! Maybe JJ's aren't to your liking? I have a pine Tele with a Super Sport bridge and S-Telly neck and, IMO, the problem is not the guitar.

You've clipped the cap and swapped the speaker, it has to be tubes. I use Tung Sol 12AX7's and JAN Phillips 12AT7's in my Gries and it's fat & rich.

Good luck to you.

8. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Weber alnico Silver Bell. Sweet speaker for a Deluxe. And I just checked. Those things have gotten pricey!

hunter

9. dB

dB Member

I'd guess throwing a few dollars at the tubes may be the missing link. In terms of brittleness, I've had consistently great results in Fender and Fender inspired amps with a NOS RCA in V1, a Mullard CV4024 in PI, and a JJ GZ34 rectifier. The RCA is the only pricey one out of the group. You use some new production Tung Sol's in the other positions. I think the CRex is probably an ideal speaker and wouldn't waste money on swapping that one. The JJ power tubes you have are very 6L6'ish, compared to other 6V6's...maybe swapping those to EHX might be worth a try and not too expensive. What are the JJ's biased to?

10. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

Most folks use ch. 2 because it has reverb, in which case you would want that RCA in V2...

11. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I'm not a fan of JJ 6V6's in Deluxe Reverbs. They sound more like a 7591 to me and can be harsh on the top end in that circuit. Go with the new Tung Sol 6V6's and see if you notice the difference. For new production preamp tubes the Tung Sol 12ax7's work well. I prefer a mix of old stock tubes for my Fender preamps.

12. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Do you do your own biasing or use a tech? I've often found Fender harshness = cold bias.

13. Gregg_G

Gregg_G Member

Yup - I'll echo that. Once mine got biased up right, it was like a totally different amp.

14. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Thank You Great Spirit! Silver Supporting Member

Same here (with a Twin).....even biased "right" it was still a bit too harsh for me.

I dont think you'll like the Blue Dog alnico (if that's the one you are referring to, it's the one I had) unless you get the 50 watt build.

I will also echo the surprise that you didn't like the CRex, that is my all time best recommend for a Fender amp.

15. aram

aram Member

Thanks for all the responses everyone.

I guess I'll have to bring it in and have it retubed.

To be honest, I haven't found an amp tech here in NYC that I like.

Does anyone know of someone good?

16. Ocelot

Ocelot Member

I use Conno Fusco, the tech who works out of Gary Fried's shop (Fried Guitars) in downtown Brooklyn. I've brought a '65 Princeton and a '66 DR to him to get retubed, recapped and biased and love the results. Also, his prices are extremely reasonable.

17. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues Member

I love Weber Alnicos in most Fender/Fender style amps. However, there could be many factors contributing to the harsh sound of your amp. Most all of them have already been discussed. JJ tubes have many positive qualities, but they can sound harsh. Also, too cold of a bias setting will effect the amount of harshness.
    A nice set of NOS RCA power tubes biased correctly and NOS preamp tubes(GE, RCA, JAN Phillips, etc.) would go along way to smoothing out your amp. A nice Weber 12A125 AlNiCo would be icing on the cake.

18. kelly dell

kelly dell Member

Voodoo amps in NY does amazing work, there a little pricey but they are good.

19. Redfish

Redfish Member

I agree totally except I would get the 12A150 (50 watt) Weber as it's a little warmer than the 25. Old RCA 6v6's really warmed up my 69DR and I thought it sounded good until I recently got a cap job and my tech set the bias hotter. It really smoothed out the top end, tightened up the bottom and the overdrive is just buttery now. I can't believe what a difference it made. I've currently got a Weber California (JBL clone) in it but the 12A150 is very nice too.

20. Wheeler004

Wheeler004 Member

The Deluxe Reverb is a notoriously bright amp. I would not call it harsh, but I can see how someone who does not like a lot of high end might. As others have suggested, changing and biasing the tubes or trying a different speaker may help a bit, but the voicing of the amp will remain the same-- only the response will change. These changes may or may not attenuate enough high end harshness for your liking. You may want to check into getting the amp modified to extend the lower range of the treble knob. It may be a simple matter of being able to dial out more of the treble.