Why is my pedal generating so much hum?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tochiro, Mar 30, 2015.

1. tochiro

tochiro Member

Hi,

I'm using a very recent Standard US Strat that does not make any noise in my amp (AC15C1). But every time I switch a dirt pedal on I get hum noise in the amp. For instance with my Mi Audio Crossover Drive I get a loud hum after the Drive is past 12 o'clock. I'm using very high quality cables and everything is properly grounded.

Is it normal with dirt pedals and single coil guitars? Are there ways of limiting such noise?

Thank you!

Cheers

2. JerS

JerS Member

Hum with single coils and dirt pedals is very normal. You can tell if it is this type of hum by putting the pickup selector in an "in between" position (neck+middle pickup, or bridge+middle pickup) as the hum will dissapear because the two single coils together cancel the hum. If the hum does not vastly diminish when you do this, the next place I would look would be the power supply. Power supply hum can usually be remedied by using a battery, or getting a high quality filtered supply.

3. NielsM

NielsM Member

:agreeI have nothing to add to this.

4. smj

smj Member

Whenever I experience hum I start shortening the signal path one thing at a time. Recently I had a gig, and for various reasons, I had all this extra hum!

Knowing your rig is important too... Knowing how much hum is within tolerable limits..

For me...

1) one of my Amps had a little too much hum... I had a tech go through it and he made some wiring mods to shorten the path to ground
    2) two digital pedals were on isolated outs on my Cioks... But sharing the same ground with the dip switches... So I had my pedal tech reroute the power scheme
    3) 3 (!) of my evidence audio cables had loose grounds due to wear and tear. For whatever reason, they all happened within days of each other. These are $175+ cables... So it can happen. Always check your cables one at a time.. You might be surprised!

It was a bit of a perfect storm... And I felt like such an idiot when the sound guy had to gate my signal because it was so bad and everyone was looking around to see where the noise was coming from! I usually make sure things are functioning properly but that week I got a little sidetracked...:dunno

Sean Meredith-Jones
    www.seanmeredithjones.com

5. tochiro

tochiro Member

The hum is only produced when I switch the dirt pedal on and it does not change whatever pickup combination I use. It increases a lot when I move the guitar near the amp and is significantly reduced if I go away from the amp. At 3 meters away from the amp the hum is acceptable. The hum disappears completely if I put the volume on the guitar to 0.