Why is my Vibrolux Reverb louder than my Super Reverb?

speedtaco

I have a 35 watt '65 Vibrolux Reverb, and a 40 watt '66 Super Reverb. The Vibrolux is MUCH louder than my Super, and always has been. Too loud to gig with actually. Is it the output transformer? The tubes? Any advice is appreciated! You would think it would be reverse....

As a side note, what can I do to lower the volume? Different tubes?

Thanks!

blackba

Platinum Supporting Member
My first thought is the speakers. What speakers are each amp? Wondering if the vibrolux has more efficient speakers. Also, are your Super Reverb Speakers wired to 2 ohms?

crazyneddie

The super is probably wired incorrectly. I sold my 67 super because it was just way too loud to use anywhere. My 66 Vibrolux is no where near as loud as the Super was. I have c10n’s in the vibrolux, and had alnico CTS in the super. Super was still much louder.

BtW how is the breakup on theses amps? That might give you a clue about what’s not right.

speedtaco

I’ve got a weber ceramic, and a weber Alnico in the Vibrolux. The super reverb has the original speakers in it, and was serviced not too long ago by a very reputable tech here in Charlotte. Maybe the tubes are getting old, but the Vibrolux has always been louder.
I actually really like the volume of the super, I can run it at five in a club and have no problems. I can’t get the Vibrolux past 3 1/2 . Both amplifiers sound unbelievably great when dimed.
Any suggestions on how to tame the Vibrolux? I really don’t want to spend a bunch of money on an attenuator.

crazyneddie

I used to use an attenuator on my vibrolux, but to be honest I eventually got lazy and would use a pedal instead. I do get quite a few gigs in the summer where I can turn it up to 6-7 and it really kills then.

Drak

Any suggestions on how to tame the Vibrolux?
I really don’t want to spend a bunch of money on an attenuator.

You're going to need old, inefficient, lower sensitivity speakers.
Webers are just the opposite.
Very tight voice coil gaps, very high sensitivity ratings, very efficient in turning available power into sound.
Buy a pair of old CTS speakers off of eBay.
They have a dark, thick sound to begin with, and are probably rather inefficient.
Sell the Weber's, you'll probably come out ahead.
What you're saying is you 'want' a cruiser with a nice soft comfortable ride and you 'bought' a 2-seater sports car built for speed.
Two different animals, two different outcomes.

AndreasG

I’ve got a weber ceramic, and a weber Alnico in the Vibrolux. The super reverb has the original speakers in it, and was serviced not too long ago by a very reputable tech here in Charlotte. Maybe the tubes are getting old, but the Vibrolux has always been louder.
I actually really like the volume of the super, I can run it at five in a club and have no problems. I can’t get the Vibrolux past 3 1/2 . Both amplifiers sound unbelievably great when dimed.
Any suggestions on how to tame the Vibrolux? I really don’t want to spend a bunch of money on an attenuator.

Like others said here, somethings wrong with your Super, or the Vibrolux has been modded somwehow. Turn both amps to 10 to see if the difference is still there..or maybe it’s just a funny working volume pot..(I had a JMP Marshall head from the early 70’s where the volume pot was mainly a switch. At 1 it was off and on 2 it was already on full volume)
I have a 74 Vibrolux (original Oxford? ceramic speakers) and a 68 Super Reverb (original CTS Alnico speakers), and the SR is literally twice the volume and impact of the VR. What I use these days is a plexi shield and an overdrive pedal when I cannot crank the amps past 6 or 7. The plexi does a great job at controlling the volume or sound pressure somehow

speedtaco

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I appreciate it. I have the original speakers and took them out as not to damage them. I will give them a go. At some point I’ll take the super to my tech a get a tune up.
Will any different tubes lower the volume on the VR? It’s a loud amp.

hangten

I use an attenuator with my vibrolux and for me that is perfect. Sounds incredible ...I would recommend getting one.

zenas

The Webers in the VR have enough wattage to work with the SR? If so you could try the SR with those just to see if it's speakers. (I don't think it is) The 2 to 4 ohm impedance mismatch isn't going to hurt anything while you're doing it.

Picked up a 66 BFSR last fall, that had been worked on by an old TV guy. Guess he's great on recording equipment, PAs and things like that, vintage amps not so much.
Amp sounded fine in the sellers house, but when he said he played it on 7 all the time I knew either he plays loud as hell or the amps not right. Opened up before I bought it of course and found old electrolytics, typical.
At home next to my 73 SFSR it was very obvious it ain't right! The 73 is louder at 3 or 4 than the 66 on 10 and will easily drown out the 66 completely. It's about on par with my Princeton Reverb.
Cross connected the speakers, swapped tubes, found time to do the filter caps and try them, no dice. Haven't got back to it since, hopefully I'll get lucky and the bypass caps do the trick but I suspect it won't be that easy.
Living in a temporary place till my house gets done effing sucks! Probably won't get it right until I get my Oscope and things unpacked.

Walter Broes

I’ve got a weber ceramic, and a weber Alnico in the Vibrolux. The super reverb has the original speakers in it
That's probably it. Once you get to the 125 or 150 Weber ceramics, or 150 Alnicos, those are some crazy effcient speakers. Put two less efficient speakers in the Vibrolux, and it'll be back to "normal"

GenoBluzGtr

Check to see how the Super's speakers are wired up... I would bet $ that you have an issue with the Super, and it could be as simple as someone played with the wiring and you're no longer wired for 2-Ohm series parallel. If that's not the case, I would suspect tubes or an OT issue.

speedtaco

Thanks again all.

This got me to thinking, where are you guys running your Vibroluxes, and Supers when you gig them in a smaller club? Volume wise, what number do you have the knob on?

GenoBluzGtr

When I did use a Vibrolux or a Super, I was stuck at using them at about 2-3 on the volume max in small clubs. Occasionally, I would turn the amp up to 4-5 but drop the guitar volume down, but they are really too much power for small clubs. I couldn't even get a Deluxe Reverb past 4 in most of the places I play. I ended up with a Tweed Harvard (12 watt amp) and even that was too much most of the time. This drove me to modelers. Still have my amps, but they rarely see the world outside my basement anymore.

kinmike

Gold Supporting Member
Check to see how the Super's speakers are wired up... I would bet $ that you have an issue with the Super, and it could be as simple as someone played with the wiring and you're no longer wired for 2-Ohm series parallel. If that's not the case, I would suspect tubes or an OT issue.

All parallel. Series parallel would get you 8 ohms, same as each speaker.

hangten

my vibrolux has old oxfords - I am lucky if I can get past 2 on volume without an attenuator.
WITH my Air Brake I run it at 7-8 and it is glorious.
all you need is the volume knob on your guitar - I use a gain changer with it and that's about it right now.

Top Bottom