• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Why is Strymon so awesome?

nrandall85

jakey said:
Never been anything other than non-plussed with them.

The El Capistan is over priced and very poor in terms of delay trail off tone quality. For such a so-called boutique unit, I think it's very poor. The Prov Chrono is far superior for a similar price and a DD2 and Carbon Copy could be bought for the same and are tonally vastly superior. The LEx was OK, but popped like ears in an air-crash when I engaged it, and was impossible to set so it did not drive the tone.

Truly the most over-rated pedals on the market bar none.

(although I have not tried the Timeline)
Pretty harsh review of the El Capistan, especially considering your comparisons to bottom of the barrel non-tape delays.

The Strymon is a tape delay- any comparisons to regular digital or analog delays are moot, since it's such a specific sound.

nrandall85

Well, you're certainly entitled to your own opinion, but most players going for a tape delay tone are looking for a LOT of color. It would be like if I did a guitar shoot out and ranked a Telecaster last because the bridge pickup was too bright.

digiTED

rock > talk
I'm not a huge fan, but would never say their products are poor. I've owned the Orbit and El Cap and understand why some folks really love their stuff. The detail and feature sets are game changers.

My lack of love stems from the tone and feel I experienced with the two. I found them both kinda flat and sterile. That's not to say I didn't find amazing tape echo and flanging functionality in them, I just didn't want to further complicate my signal chain to make up for the tone suck. That said, the Flint demos sound really cool! ;)

I'm a fanboi for Diamond just as some of us here are for Strymon due to the tone and feel I get from their stuff. I'll take the simpler feature set as a compromise but I know others look at it differently.

I think Strymon are an innovative company who are pushing the capabilities of stomp boxes and bear no ill will to those of us who adore their work. To each their own!

brightstarsecho

Silver Supporting Member
They're awesome because they do a ton of R & D, they educate us on different effects with their white papers, their audio and video demos sound great and have actual production value and, oh yeah, their pedals sound killer.

wilerty

Because I bought a blueSky new a year ago and sold it last month for more than I paid for it ...

I will buy a Flint to go with my El Capistan.

Abandoned

Tweed Tube Tone Purist
wilerty said:

Because I bought a blueSky new a year ago and sold it last month for more than I paid for it ...

I will buy a Flint to go with my El Capistan.
Lol - me too.

Occam

Based on the threads here I'd figure that most people hated Strymon and only bought their pedals just to complain about them not doing everything in the world.

Astro-Monkey

well if it's for you or not.. there stuff is pretty high quality.
There's no point denying that.

i didn't buy into the Strymon hype for a long time but then i got the timeline (only strymon product i will ever own tho, the rest doesn't fit my particular need) and it just oozes quality, excellent customer service too.

twostring

I had the chance to play with a Blue Sky with an amp at full volume (that matters a lot), and I was blown away. A strat chicken pickin' through the Strymon into a variety of amps (Mesa Lonestar, Fender 410 DeVille, Vox AC30), and I preferred the Strymon over the on board spring reverb on each amp.

I can't say that Strymon is necessarily doing something better than all the rest, but they're putting together a top notch product. I'll admit to not having tried other reverb pedals because I thought you couldn't beat good onboard spring reverb, but I really want the Blue Sky now, especially considering my DC30 doesn't have reverb.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom