• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Why is the "don't tell my wife" joke/line so common in the guitar community?

EpiLP1985

Silver Supporting Member
Something I've wondered about. Why would your wife/girlfriend, etc care what you are buying, let alone dictating what you can and cannot have? This signals a bad relationship to me. Is it usually financial reasons?
Are you married or in a relationship?

Marriage is a different scenario than being in the BF/GF dynamic. You have shared resources, goals, etc. Often there is a disconnect with respect to pedals/amps, etc. with respect to how much they cost versus how much your spouse understands their utility.

I have the same apprehension about how much it costs my wife to have her hair done.

HomeInMyShoes

It’s not just guitars. It’s any hobby that uses discretionary income, where someone most likely has more of a product than they actually “need,” but it’s something they “want.”
This. My wife and I deal with this by looking at the household budget, deciding what our allowance should be for non-household things and if we want to buy yarn for knitting or a new pedal we go into our own allowance for that. It also covers things like lunches out and coffees and snacks during the work week. It's a great system and neither of us has to care about what the other is doing with that allowance. It also means I am frugal with my hobbies (puzzles, reading, and music) and really end up enjoying the things I do purchase a lot.

vrdl87

Something I've wondered about. Why would your wife/girlfriend, etc care what you are buying, let alone dictating what you can and cannot have? This signals a bad relationship to me. Is it usually financial reasons?
I’ve always shared my thoughts, what I buy/sell etc. My wife is always supportive, and has a good laugh when I’m «at my worst» when it comes to gear. That always cheers me up and makes me realise how stupid some of my desicions are.

Compared to my friends it seems I have won the lottery, because it’s more of a «hush hush» thing when they buy/sell - and I guess it comes from the lack of support and the «when are you going to stop»-attitude from their better halves.

Three weeks ago I told my wife I wanted to buy a McCarty 594 to replace my R9 and 59 CS strat - simply because I don’t have much time to play both, after becoming a dad. She replied «do you really want this guitar?», and before I knew it - she bought one for my birthday in August. They are both keepers! ;)

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom