Why is the knockout spot on your chin?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by thrashmetl, Mar 7, 2015.

1. thrashmetl

thrashmetl Member

More of a medical question I guess, but why are the vast majority of knockouts in fights the result of a shot to the chin? Watching Friday Night Fights MMA on AXS TV and I've noticed that it doesn't really even take a hard shot to the chin to put a guy out cold. I would think that something closer to the brain, maybe an ear shot, would cause more knockouts, but a decent shot to the chin is all it takes. Is there a medical explanation?

2. DavidH

DavidH Member

Because it's the lateral rotation of your head that causes you to be knocked out. Hitting the chin gives you leverage to cause this rotation, ie creates a 'moment arm', or 'lever', between the chin and pivot point, allowing you to create the required rotation/head movement (brain movement actually). Knocking someone out is more about accuracy and technique than sheer force.

Same reason you're far more likely to be knocked out in a side impact than a head on collision of similar force.

3. el greco

el greco Member

It's because of the nerves located in that area. When you get hit with force on the chin, it snaps your head back or to the side and that makes the blood circulating in your brain to compress.
    When that happens, you lose control over your body and usually drop to the ground.

4. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

agreed.
    It's all about the coup/contre-coup impact of the brain matter as it rattles around in the skull. Concussion, anyone?

It isn't so much about the nerves local to the chin: the bits of the inferior alveolar, lingual, and facial nerve are way down on the branching of CN 5 and 7, and are your typical hot/cold/pressure/pain receptors... nothing special there. (I'm guessing) you might get a little more CNS effect from rattling the main trunks of the inferior alveolar n as it traverses up the ascending ramus of the mandible and past the TMJ area (which gets jolted heavily), but probably nothing like the affect of slamming the brain up against the interior walls of the calvaria.

Caveat: not a fight doc...I just get to put some of the pieces back together.

5. Vai81

Vai81 Member

I concur.

(Not really sure what I'm concurring to, but eh)

6. TTripp

TTripp Member

Because punching each other in the ass would look pretty silly.

7. Sidney Vicious

Sidney Vicious Silver Supporting Member

Because life imitates Rockem Sockem Robots?

8. cram

cram Member

;)

[​IMG]

9. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

I think this is what I'm thinking...I think.
    It's not the chin, but rather where the joint where the jaw connects to the skull. There must be a bunch of nerves running through there. I got popped once, not very hard at all, but right on that joint and it was like my brain had a funny bone x10. It wasn't really a loss of consciousness feeling, but a big loss of awareness and stability.

10. bonegrubber

bonegrubber Supporting Member

11. willie k

willie k Silver Supporting Member

^This is what my martial arts teacher said. Moving the jaw, rather than snapping the head causes the knockout.

12. milli vanilli

milli vanilli Member

This makes sense... there is also a nerve pathway in your knee. If you hit it just right, you will say, "oh, man, that hurts", then it's lights out. Happened to a co-worker a while back. Bumped her knee on a desk, started laughing at her clumsiness, then passed out and hit the floor. Ambulance guys say they see it every now and then.

13. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

From what I'm reading, the direction and magnitude of the motion imparted to the head is the important factor. A straight punch does not move the head as far as rotational (cross) punches do. The specific portion of the brain which undergoes the coup/contre-coup impacts may also have something to do it. The jaw supplies the longer lever-arm (as mention by someone above) when hit out near the tip of the chin. The jaw will move(dramatically, as muscle tone drops...perhaps in correlation to the drop in consciousness) but jaw position does not play a direct role in the level of consciousness... brain/neurological damage does. I've dealt with dislocated jaws before, and very, very few of those patients reported loss of consciousness during dislocation.

14. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

Not to get technical but I always assumed getting knocked out was more of a brain trauma thing than a nerve thing. Sorry for all the medical jargon ;)

15. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

I've read this before, maybe not a bunch of nerves, but a key nerve.

I've also read that in boxing, a lot of knockouts are caused by the force of the fighter falling and then abruptly stopping when they hit the mat--not the head hitting the mat, but the effort of the rapid deceleration.

These are just things that I've read. I think there are probably more than one possible causes.

16. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

I didn't get hit in the jaw but on the right front corner of my skull by a left hook while sparring, wearing head gear.

The room took a sudden 270 degree spin, I corkscrewed down to my knees, saved probably only by the fact that I saw the punch coming a split second before it landed.

If it had been an actual fight, I could have been stomped into a puddle of **** by an aggressor bent on damage. I was utterly vulnerable. My training, fighting stance and conditioning kept me from just hitting the floor like a gaffed fish. I definitely felt like one for a few seconds.

My recommendation is to avoid getting hit in the head.

17. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

this makes it a little confusing too.."cast iron chin" or "glass jaw"..neither comment addresses the actual reason for knock out.

never been knocked out but got kicked in the balls once and it put me down.:boxer