Why is the Roland FC300 not a more popular controller ?

LqdSndDist

I've got a Roland FC300 and I think its one of the best controllers I've used, and quite affordable (you can get them $300 or less used)

Its built like a tank, has 2 very nice built in EXP pedals in addition to the ability to hook up 3 more, and has full control over sending midi CC's, program changes etc with the ability to quickly and easily set the ranges the footswitches transmit and more

Just such a fantastic unit that really is so much easier to use than a FC1010 and hardly much more expensive and even can give a bit more control over a Ground Control etc.

Just surprising you never hear anyone talk about this unit.

jb4674

I've wondered the same thing. The only thing I can conclude is that the lack of an editor makes it a royal PITA to setup in order to control a midi rig. Being an owner of an FC-300, I like what it has to offer but, the only thing I wish Roland would've done is offer an editor that allowed the user to customize it any which way he/she desired.

atquinn

Silver Supporting Member
For half the price you can get an FCB1010 with an Uno or Eureka chip. That's why the FC300 isn't more popular.
-
Austin

adamquek

I had one before. It is a nightmare to program. An absolute nightmare... it would have benefitted greatly from some knobs/data wheels.

Last edited:

SnowfaLL

as someone who's wanted one before (it was my #1 choice before I found the Liquid Foot Jr) the way I see why it isnt one of the big dogs can be summed up by..

1) Not common, hard to find

2) Has expression pedals attached (most people prefer their own separate ones)

3) If someone DID want exp pedals attached, the Behringer FCB1010 is 1/3rd the price, for the same setup basically.

- basically as the FCB1010 is the reverse engineered version of the FC300, Roland got screwed by that. An already niche product just lost a large chunk of its market (the affordable aspect) and all that remains are people looking for built-in expression pedals with rugged quality.. Probably still a good product but super narrow market.

adamquek

- basically as the FCB1010 is the reverse engineered version of the FC300, Roland got screwed by that.
Uh... I'm not so sure about this. The FCB1010 has been out for over a decade (news sources date it back at least that far). The FC300 came out with the VG99 back in 2008, I believe. So it's definitely not a reverse engineered version.

SnowfaLL

Ok then, the FC200.. Either way, you can't deny theres a strong Roland-based influence to the FCB1010.

adamquek

Ok then, the FC200.. Either way, you can't deny theres a strong Roland-based influence to the FCB1010.
The FC200 is indeed a very likely candidate for being reverse engineered :) Definitely a strong Roland influence. But I would reiterate that's probably *not* why the FC300 didn't sell well. I think the FC300 didn't sell well because

a) It's a PITA to program
b) The market is a lot more competitive both at the premium and budget ends

LqdSndDist

Hmmm, I don't know, I find the FC300 pretty simple to program via its LCD, granted it does take a bit of button pushing, but its pretty simple to just scroll through, select the controller pedal/button you want, select its midi CC#, set if you want it momentary or latch, select the start and end value (which is HUGE, because some controllers are fixed as sending 0/127 while some processors need 0/1 to function) and your set. Not like you've go to do it all the time once you set it up and store one of your control presents either.

I've owned a couple of FB1010 and different FW chips and now that thing is a PITA to program! Not having a good LCD and scroll buttons is tough, and while they did have a PC editor, I never had luck with it. Maybe its been updated though since.

Other issue I had with the FB1010 is that while it does have 2 EXP pedals, they don't have toe switches to select them on/off, which the FC300 does. So if you use one as your wah, you can turn on/off with a toe down, like a normal wah. For me that functionality alone has always been a deal maker or breaker.

Plus, if you do want to use your own EXP's, such as a Mission or whatever, you can have 3 more with the FC300. Short of the Axe-FX foot controler, I don' know of any product that gives you that many.

Most like the Midi Mate etc give you just 1 EXP pedal, the Ground Control gives you 2, what else has 3 ??

I've tried just about everything out there, from cheap to GCP setups costing twice as much and I just can't find anything better than the FC300 for any price

I do want to try the Axe-FX controller if they ever come back into stock, but given that it plus 2 EXP's will cost me about $900, vs the $275 I paid for the FC300, it will really have to do quite a bit to seem worth the money

Will Chen

Platinum Supporting Member
Hmmm, I don't know, I find the FC300 pretty simple to program via its LCD, granted it does take a bit of button pushing, but its pretty simple to just scroll through, select the controller pedal/button you want, select its midi CC#, set if you want it momentary or latch, select the start and end value (which is HUGE, because some controllers are fixed as sending 0/127 while some processors need 0/1 to function) and your set. Not like you've go to do it all the time once you set it up and store one of your control presents either.

I've owned a couple of FB1010 and different FW chips and now that thing is a PITA to program! Not having a good LCD and scroll buttons is tough, and while they did have a PC editor, I never had luck with it. Maybe its been updated though since.
Easy as pie with any one of the editors available.

Other issue I had with the FB1010 is that while it does have 2 EXP pedals, they don't have toe switches to select them on/off, which the FC300 does. So if you use one as your wah, you can turn on/off with a toe down, like a normal wah. For me that functionality alone has always been a deal maker or breaker.
Based on the unit you own (I have the Kemper), you can engage an effect as soon as the motion is detected in the pedal. I like this way better than having to click a toe switch.

Plus, if you do want to use your own EXP's, such as a Mission or whatever, you can have 3 more with the FC300. Short of the Axe-FX foot controler, I don' know of any product that gives you that many.

Most like the Midi Mate etc give you just 1 EXP pedal, the Ground Control gives you 2, what else has 3 ??
Liquid Foot stuff supports 4. But to be honest, I rarely use the 2 expression pedals I have on the FCB. I would love the individual LCD's of the LiquidFoot stuff though.

I've tried just about everything out there, from cheap to GCP setups costing twice as much and I just can't find anything better than the FC300 for any price

I do want to try the Axe-FX controller if they ever come back into stock, but given that it plus 2 EXP's will cost me about $900, vs the $275 I paid for the FC300, it will really have to do quite a bit to seem worth the money
The FC300 is just at a odd price point for it's featureset. The FCB-1010 is very competitive at a much more affordable price. I think many just don't see the additional features as worth the cost over the FCB1010.

LqdSndDist

Easy as pie with any one of the editors available.

Don't you still need to open it up and swap out the ROM glued in ROM chip still though ?

Back when I had one a few years ago you had to buy a special ROM chip online and then take it apart and change them out, and then try to get the thing to reboot before you could start using a software editor.

I guess I shouldn't be complaining that people don't like the FC300 though, as its why I was able to buy another used one for $220 lol

Just whenever I use it I find it to be such a fantastic product for what is, IMHO a reasonable price.

FCB1010 is good for the money too, don't get me wrong, but I just think for a very modest additional cost you get a lot of extra features like additional EXP pedal jacks, better feeling built in EXP pedals, toe switches (which I'm a fan of from over a decade of using a normal wah pedal) and the ability to store different setups, which comes in handy if your using it for multiple purposes such as DAW control, modeler control etc.

I don't know if I'd pay the new price of $449 for one, but at the current used prices these things are going for they deliver a lot of bang for the buck

Trending Topics