Why Is There No Good Live Footage Of Genesis From The 70's?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by TRGuy, May 19, 2015.

1. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

Seriously, it doesn't exist!

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is quickly becoming a favourite, its just full of absolutely amazing tunes, and as discussed in the earlier thread its so perfectly mixed, and the bass work is awesome as well.

So, naturally I go to Youtube etc to watch some live videos from the mid 70's, Gabriel era (not a fan of much past TLLDOB) but it just doesn't exist. Weren't Genesis very big back in the 70's? Has all the footage been lost, or am I just looking in the wrong places? The only footage that exists is just blurry.

2. dsw67

dsw67 Supporting Member

What about stuff like this? Or are you specifically looking for 'Lamb' live footage?

sinner likes this.
  3. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

There's some TV Studio live stuff that's pretty good from the Gabriel era, but no great Lamb stuff as I recall. And there's good post-Gabriel era 70's stuff also. Video tape and 16mm under concert lighting aren't terribly crisp.

There's other stuff I've seen from this session--Musical Box, Watcher Of The Skies, maybe also The Knife.

4. drewl

drewl Member

Did Hackett ever stand and play?

5. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

I guess I was looking for Lamb footage, yes. Weird that there is nothing. I know that cameras back then were a bit crap but I have Beatles and Zep footage in HD in my bluray collection!

6. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Yes, starting the tour after Gabriel left.

7. townsend

townsend Member

Actually, I think we could expand the question: why isn't there more live footage of many other 1970s bands as well, or at least why isn't there more footage than the piecemeal, mediocre stuff that is out there? All the concerts I ever went to were during the 1970s, bands such as Black Sabbath, Mountain, Jethro Tull, Chicago, JoJo Gunne, Wishbone Ash, Z.Z. Top, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Allman Brothers, Deep Purple, Rod Stewart Band, CSNY. Many of these bands had their original, or most "classic" lineups (e.g, Deep Purple Mk II, both Allman brothers alive and well, etc.).

I can think of two possible reasons. First, it may be that the bands or their management, in general, didn't want their concerts filmed, because if music fans could watch them on film, this might affect the sale of concert tickets. Second, the market for video recordings of concerts is something we now take for granted, but it may have been in its earliest stages and there wasn't much demand for video-taped concerts. Remember, this was long before DVDs existed -- in fact, DVD wasn't developed until 1995. Hey, I'm just speculating why, but there really isn't much footage from my experience, youtube not excepted.

8. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

I understand that shooting with film was a very expensive proposition and that lighting that was optimal for stage productions is not optimal for filming. So, it was either a huge investment to film a concert with not much opportunity to recoup those expenses or stick to filming in TV studios.

9. Bankston

Bankston Member

The 1970's pre-dates the advent of the affordable handheld consumer video camera, so not a lot of bootlegs. And VCR's weren't in every home like they were in the 1980's, so there wasn't a market to sell concert videos.

I recommend the documentary Sum of the Parts for some live footage and a pretty entertaining story of Genesis.

10. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

Because everything wasn't filmed 40 years ago. Most of what does exist from that era was filmed in-house at a few venues. Or the bands/record companies would have had to hire a crew to film a show.

You kids do realize that everybody carrying a recording device with them at all times is a recent development, right? ;)

11. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

Fripp'd

12. MrX

MrX Member

Agreed... I've long thought about this.

13. sinner

sinner Member

Great video (and good sound) thanks! Just like I remember seeing them live at the Roxy on the Sunset Strip.

14. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Plus, someone would then need to digitize that footage. There's plenty of stuff sitting around in vaults on film and videotape that no-one's taken the not-inconsiderable amount of effort digitize. And after that, it would need to be publicly, or at least leasable to show up on YouTube.

15. msteeln

msteeln Member

There was tons of great footage shot, especially the '70s, and the majority of it has been left on corpoarte shelves, shuffled around and misplaced, eventually ruined, or dumped by dummies.

16. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

That was pretty cool. There's a quick shot of Hackett doing some tapping- for those that still think Eddie invented it.
    Gabriel is quite an artist. Love his mix of mediums. Certainly a man way ahead of his times at that point.

17. Dr. Jimmy

Dr. Jimmy Member

You mean they were a band before 'Abacab'???????????

;)

18. jerrycasemusic

jerrycasemusic Member

If you find it bro, shoot me the link!! Absolutely adore old Genesis. It is incredible.

As an aside, I saw Hackett last time he was through and he played ALL old Genesis - the setlist was killer. AND he was standing lol. His singer did a fantastic job and sounded almost exactly like Peter used to.

19. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member