Why isn't Gibson's "The Hawk" listed in the Vintage Guitar Price Guide?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by NoahL, Feb 10, 2008.

1. NoahL

NoahL Member

I've looked in the Gibson section under "The" and "Hawk" and even within the Les Paul area, in case this is considered a variant of the Les Paul, but I find nothing. They were made in the U.S. for about five years during the 90s, so they merit inclusion. Am I looking in the wrong part of the Gibson section?

2. Caretaker

Caretaker Supporting Member

The Hawk was the low end version(think Studio). Try Blues Hawk and Night Hawk. It is probably in a sub catagory there. Anyway, they should sell used in the $400-$500 range.

3. NoahL

NoahL Member

Not there, either. I see the genetic similarities to those axes, but nothing in the Guide -- unless I'm just going blind. Thanks.

4. NoahL

NoahL Member

p.s.: I guess they just leave out certain smaller-run guitars? No mention of the Epiphone Blues Master either, of which c. 500 were made in the 90s. prices on that one have doubled in the past three years.

5. 59burst

59burst Gold Supporting Member

I don't think those guides are perfectly comprehensive. I have a blond ES-5 reissue with P90s and the guide only listed prices for sunburst ones, and I couldn't find the Guild/Benedetto Artist Award (I was looking in a book store, so I certainly may have missed it).

6. NoahL

NoahL Member

The guide isn't "vintage" -- its publisher, Vintage Guitar, just has "vintage" in its own name. The guide happily notes prices for all sorts of guitars, including lots that are less interesting, less old and less American-made than this little Gibson. I guess the guide is just a little sketchy.

7. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

I have found several models that are not in the guide. It is fairly comprehensive, but not perfect by any means.

I agree on the $400-500 range for excellent original condition. They were basically a stripped down version of the Nighthawk.