• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Why isn't Holdworth putting out any new albums?

rotren

Allan Holdsworth seems to play plenty of gigs, but how come he hasn't put out a studio album in like, forever?

Kappy

He released a live DVD with Alan Pasqua in 2007.

He seems to avg about 1 every 3 years or so. If you count the live DVD, he's right on time. And we should probably expect something soon. I hope so. I'd love to hear something new from AH.

Dave

P.S. There are 2009 recordings of Allan on other people's recordings.

rotren

Studio Albums

• 1976: Velvet Darkness
  • 1982: I.O.U.
  • 1983: Road Games (EP)
  • 1985: Metal Fatigue
  • 1986: Atavachron
  • 1987: Sand
  • 1989: Secrets
  • 1992: Wardenclyffe Tower
  • 1993: Hard Hat Area
  • 1996: None Too Soon
  • 1999: The Sixteen Men of Tain
  • 2001: Flat Tire: Music for a Non-Existent Movie
Not much done in the studio during the 2000s.

I just noticed this (http://www.innerviews.org/inner/holdsworth2.html) - it explains it:

You’ve recently been more active in terms of touring and working on new material than you’ve been in years. Why did you pause your career and what’s behind the resurgence of activity?
Things were going well until 1999 when I went through a divorce and that changed everything. I lost my studio and had no way of working, so I was temporarily displaced for the first year or so. I was living with friends, floating around, and things ground to a halt. I went into a big downward slide and didn’t do anything. I wasn’t interested in playing. Meeting Leonardo Pavkovic, who runs the MoonJune label, was the biggest thing in getting my career going again. He’s been amazing in helping me manage a lot of things. I started touring again during the last two years and I’m going to have to tell Leonardo to stop, otherwise he’ll keep me on the road forever. [laughs] I also started working again on two album projects that were never finished. They should both come out in 2008. I also have a few tracks that I’ll be finishing for Chad Wackerman’s new solo album. That one has been going on for awhile too. I did quite a few tracks for it in Australia around the time of the All Night Wrong project. So, I’m now playing catch up. I put out the Against the Clock compilation just to do something. I figured there were enough albums out that we could put out a reasonably good “best of” from them. I thought it was also a good release for people who weren’t familiar with my work.

Super Locrian

Because he is a perfectionist and extremely critical of his own playing? Because releasing an instrumental jazz-rock/fusion album is almost certainly bound to be a losing venture? Because people don't want to pay for music anymore, when almost any album is available as a free (never mind that it's illegal) torrent download less than a month after its release?

Most bands these days give live playing a higher priority than releasing studio albums, because it's become increasingly hard making money just by releasing a studio record.

For the last years, there have been much talk about Allan's "Snakes and Ladders" project, I don't know if that has got any further recently, but I still haven't given up the hope for a new studio album from Allan...

joseph

Thanks for the interview.....getting divorced at age 53 (he was born 1946) and 'floating around' as he put it- that's a major pothole in the road imho.

born 1946, jeff beck born 1944......these blokes look younger than I ever will!

rotren

That's cool, but I was thinking about studio albums. Hope a new studio album will come soon! I enjoy his studio recordings better than his live stuff.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom