Why it takes so many...and a tribute to those who've answered our tone quests..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Fretmaster, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

It always surprises me when I see guys that own one or maybe two amps and are perfectly content. No matter how good any amp is I always find myself needing to change up just to keep from getting bored or stuck in a creative rut. Also I have such diverse tastes (classical to blues) that it's hard if not impossible for one amp or guitar to do it all. When I got my Divided by 13 amps I sold almost everything else I owned because I was (and still am) completely blown away by them (FTR37 & SJT 10/20). But after a while it really felt good to plug into my Straub Cantus and get completely into that pure, old, hot rod, plexi vibe. Not that I like it any more than my /13’s just that it’s a refreshing difference and inspires me in a slightly different way. I recently added a Fuchs ODS30SLX to my collection and am on a whole new plain of tonal contentment now. I haven’t played anything but the Fuchs since it entered my music room. But yesterday I grabbed for an old shredder’s axe out of my closet and thought ….hum…. I haven’t plugged into the CAA OD100SH in a while….ought to have my self a down and dirty shred fest (of course I’m not a “real” shredder. That’s just what I call my twisted version of blues - rock fusion I do.). Sure enough I plugged in and holy crap I fell in love all over again!! The CAA is another absolutely killer amp and again inspires me in an all together different way. The Fuchs, CAA and /13’s are each versatile enough to cover a VERY BROAD array of styles and tones while doing any of them at a level that is extremely gratifying. But they each have their own individual character and are each equally satisfying to play and each one inspires me in a slightly different direction which keeps me from getting bored or stale which is very easy for me to do. I guess maybe I’m trying to justify why I have so many different amps, guitars and speaker cabs but it really does work for me. And even though you can only play one at a time, as the saying goes, I find it a necessity to have all of them to keep me happy and moving forward. I know from seeing many of the collections of some of you fellow forumites that I am not alone in this feeling. I just feel so much tonal happiness and contentment with my collection at this point in time that I guess I just needed to say it out loud. I just want to give a special thanks to all the great builders out there for giving me and the many tonally obsessed players like myself the ends to our tone quests.

There are many great builders out there today but these are the guys who have inspired me the most over the years:

-Jim Marshall (have long since moved on to bigger and better things, so to speaker, but he started it all for me. And many of the amps I love today are at least in part inspired by his originals.)
    -Leo Fender (same deal here)
    -Victor Mason – Mojave
    -Harry Straub
    -Fred Taconne - /13
    -Michael Soldano
    -Doug Roccaforte
    -John Suhr – CAA
    -Andy Fuchs
    -Gerald Weber – Kendrick
    -Hogy & Mike – Komet
    -Tony Bruno
    -Hartley Peavey (yes! I played a LOT of low paying, crappy bar gigs with these low priced work horses back in the day and they never let me down so I’ve got to give em’ props for being there at that stage of my life)

OK… enough senseless rambling. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
    :)

2. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

The bottom line....... :D

jon

3. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

I am one of those guys that has access to tons of boutique gear at local shops; yet I own only two amps - same brand, different flavors........and I am perfectly happy/content. Have been using a variant of that one brand/amp to gig for the past six years solid.

Also happened to find the guitfiddle that fits me perfectly. Been gigging and recording with it for the past six years solid.

Been playing for 30 years, and have owned my share of stuff. Have also demoed tons of high-end stuff. Funny; but I rarely - if ever - have GAS. Haven't for years.

:)

4. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

You and I have no business on this forum...... :D

5. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

I have a 72' Marshall 50 watt head that I got new for Christmas in 72'. It sounds better today than it did then but will it do all I need? Not even close. It's a killer amp but no one amp can satisfy someone with as eclectic and diverse tastes as I have. My hat is off to you who are content with that one amp. But when you’re equally as fascinated with Paginini and Torrega as you are with Chet Atkins, Larry Carlton, Pat Metheny, SRV, Gambale, Keb Mo, DiMeola and EVH no one amp can possibly do it all. That's my curse I guess. It's also why I'm a jack of many trades and master of none!:rolleyes: But boy am I having fun!;)

6. LaXu

LaXu Member

Ah, if only I had the money to keep several amps..not to mention the space...

7. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

I'm usually a one amp guy. Never had a problem with inspiration.

It's all about making yourself happy. Whatever works!

8. big hair

big hair Member

I hear you loud & clear Fretmaster. Despite owning some very cool amps in recent years I have always ended up selling them and trying new gear out. I probably will carry on even if I get an amp that does everything I want.

To me, testing out new gear and listening to different amp builders products is part of playing music to me and therefore half of the fun.

9. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

I own many different amplifiers, and I would change-up periodically. However, I've been hung-up on two for a while now,
    and I doubt I'm going to change.
    Variety is a good thing though.

10. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

This is a good post, and my guess is that there will be many diverse replys.

Right now I've got 5 working amps in my music room, one I'm working on at the bench, and one on order. To me, this makes guitar playing more fun, but in no way do I need this much gear. At any rate, there is just soooo much quality guitar gear out there today--simply a golden age for the stuff we love.

After playing the GWSA for about 3 weeks now, I am considering selling off many of my others, and getting into the recording thang a bit. In part, just to allow others to hear this amp.

11. Johnny Raz

Johnny Raz Member

I think I'm pretty much done with my tone quest and I've stopped at the Roccaforte Custom 80. Before the Roccaforte, I bought and sold (in order):

Fender Vibrolux Reissue
    Carr Rambler
    Bogner Metropolis
    Aiken Invader MK II

The Aiken was great, but the Roccaforte is more "3d" to me and really cuts through well in gigs and practice with the band. Thanks Doug!

Actually, the only thing I don't like is the color (sorry Leon) -- my Roccaforte Rig is purple (but I can get over that).
    [​IMG]

12. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Come on now. You know that purle sounds best!

13. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Oh...and I'm a "lots of amps is good" kinda guy. I usually focus on one or two at a time, but I like a wide variety for different things. It's kinda like having "the right tool for the job" for me.

14. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

I have 3 amps... 2 that I play. The people who don't play guitar don't seem to understand why I can't live with one guitar and one amp...

15. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

My problem is that I try to make all my amps sound the same, I go for certain sounds and I can't just hear an amp for what it is. I could just own one amp, but I'm always tweaking things. :D

16. evhtone

evhtone Member

Cool post!

I'm actually in a dilemma right now. I've been playing through an original Matchless Superchief with a Matchless 4x12 and I love it's tone. But, I keep gassing for more amps. I can't afford to buy any more amps at this time. So, I found a guy with a D/13 FTR37 head and cab that wants to trade me for my Matchless halfstack. I can't make up my mind to let her go! I know I'd love the D/13, but I'd miss the Superchief too.

Decisions...

:confused: :(

17. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

I've learned that with my playing tastes, I can get away with only one or two amps... now guitars are a whole 'nuther thing :dude (but we won't get into that one ;) ) :D

I'm trying to condense down on my gear so that I can concentrate on getting the most out of what I have. When I have too much gear around, I get sidetracked and my creativity actually diminishes because I'm tweaking too much.

I'm best off with one guitar and one amp around with a few simple pedals and I work the controls to get what I need. Having a channel switcher helps me run the gamut of tones I need and my Clay Jones OD and Pro Analog stuff give me some unique vibes I wouldn't usually get from my amp.

18. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

OTM - 35 continuous years, 35 continuous watts! :AOK