Why Jeff Beck?

Motterpaul

Tone is in the Ears
I’m assuming your 50+ years old.

Of all the guitarists I’ve known in my lifetime - bedroom and professional - I don’t think more than 2 or 3 could name one of his songs. (This is not a good thing lol)

Not saying I disagree, but I also can't name a single Satriani or Guthrie Govan song. I do know Beck did Morning Dew and People get Ready. I like some of his others but the names are often kind of arbitrary.

USMarine75

Not saying I disagree, but I also can't name a single Satriani or Guthrie Govan song. I do know Beck did Morning Dew and People get Ready. I like some of his others but the names are often kind of arbitrary.

True, but also depends on what kinds of music you listen to. If you dont like jazz you can’t be expected to name any Coltrane songs. For example, I had friends around 1990-ish that only listened to the classics such as Doors, Zep, Pink Floyd, etc. They couldn’t name one Motley Crue song.

I just don’t think for many guitarists 40 and under (Jeff) Beck is well known. That generation is more likely to recognize guitarists that were popular in the 80s and 90s like Lynch, EVH, Nuno, etc. You won’t get as many citing Paul Kossoff.

DrJamie

Gold Supporting Member
Dressing room, Pine Knob, circa 2014, who is grabbing a bite before going on??

gtrdave

Silver Supporting Member
It was the LA Sports Arena......

Thank you. I saw so many shows out there and many times I got the tickets for free through connected friends, but I do not remember all of the venues in detail.

svisser

Except he left out the good taste.
Not necessarily. I like some of stuff. Songs like Tender Surrender, For the Love of God and Whispering a Prayer are amazing. His other stuff just gets a bit old. Too much flair.

His band is insane too. Killer players right across the board.

The worst thing about him is is tone though. All that gear and he sounds like a buzz saw.

MickeyJi

Here's another answer to "why". That tone. That phrasing. :

The video quality isn't that good but the playing is phenomenal. And there's a surprise appearence of David G. for the encore.

nlopez

Silver Supporting Member
I have seen him three times: with SRV, then Santana, then pre COVID with Ann Wilson and Paul Rodgers. Each time was better than the previous!

Rolph

I saw/heard him play this live back when he and SRV did the tour together. SRV opened...it was killer...and then Beck played and when this song came around, the entire place (I think it was the Forum in L.A.), all several thousand people, stood/sat silently and listened in complete awe.
It was one of the most memorable concert moments of my lifetime.

There may be faster players and flashier players and louder players, but there is no one else like Jeff m!%@$f%!$!# Beck.
The tour w/ SRV was 1988, and think it was the LA Sports Arena, downtown. We had to walk down to the stage and watch Stevie's and Jeff's fingers. What a great experience!

iSeamas

I think the crazy thing about Beck's Bolero is that while most people first heard it on Truth (in late 1968), it was actually recorded in May of 1966--before the Beatles Revolver, and just about the same time as the John Mayhall/Clapton Beano Album and almost a year before Hendrix got any major release.

It's insane that it took about a year to get released (as a B-side) and even longer to get on an album.

Just in the context of when it was made, the playing, arrangement and recording and production is just so far ahead of its time. Then the personnel on the track is just mind blowing if that ever became a band.

Scott SG

former
i saw him once in Boston a few years ago. Tedeschi Trucks opened for Jeff Beck and I was hoping for one or the other to collaborate on a song or two - but alas it didn't happen.

Jeff was good for sure!

Grun

Silver Supporting Member
Cruised the backroads at age 16 in SE Michigan listening to four bootleg track tapes over and over for the summer. Jeff Beck Truth was one of them.
I wore that tape out!
I've spent time around him on a couple occasions. The hair is real.
Another reason!
I've seen Jeff on tour nearly every time since Rough and Ready, and all but one were killer (BBA when they tried using Kim Milford as singer). But , the best I'd ever heard of him live was when he toured with (wait for it)......The Beach Boys. He was absolutely sublime. His slide playing deserves way more recognition - probably dismissed because he doesn't do it much and he's so skilled otherwise.
He's the GOAT for me.
I saw that tour too. He was awesome. As always.
One of the things i have seen Beck do that I never have seen anyone else do, is he will play the same musical passage that is on the record, but when playing live, he will do it a different way in each performance.
He'll play it on a different part of the neck, or -- bend up to--or play on the fret, or depress the whammy--or hit the note by harmonic.
He'll hit all the notes, but how he will hit them changes each performance.
He does these things on the fly all the time.
Where most players will play their repertoire pretty much the same way throughout their career--same fingerings, maybe a little alteration here or there, Beck just lets whatever whim he has play the notes.
With the possible exception of 'Truth' (missed that tour) I would venture his recordings are not generally on a par with his live performances. The man really shines live. When he toured with Santana I wound up leaving half way through Santana's set. Sorry Carlos. Really no comparison. You should have gone first.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom