Why Just 3 Acoustics?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by moosewayne, Feb 14, 2012.

1. moosewayne

moosewayne Member

While several of us are getting roasted in a similar forum for having lots of the same type of electric guitar...I propose a new question.

Why do I not have the same bug when it comes to acoustic guitars??!!??
    I could have 50 different electrics but my Dobro, J-200 and custom Breedlove 12 string are all I need or want when it comes to acoustics.
    Why, I ask....

2. pcutt

pcutt Member

For me, 3 acoustics is important...
    - One for myself (standard tuning)
    - One for a buddy to play when visiting my house
    - One tuned to slack key for Hawaiian noodling.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  3. Chandyland

Chandyland Member

Less variation between acoustics than electrics?

That explanation doesn't make much sense to me, though, because logically there should be much more variation between acoustic guitars. The science of acoustics should tell us that there would be significant changes in tone with different body styles, sizes, etc.

I think that perhaps most guitarists play mainly electrics. YMMV.

4. RICFREAK

RICFREAK Member

I do GAS for acoustics as much as electrics. However, acoustics take up so much more space and unlike electrics, they are more sensitive to temperature and humidity.
    Most of all, their tone only improve with constant playing. (or tonerite-ing :p)

5. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

This forum is a bit more geared toward electrics. There are other forums where a lot of guys have large collections of acoustics. It's very easy to get sucked in...

6. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

To be honest, I think it's about the looks. By and large, an acoustic is an acoustic is an acoustic. But a Les Paul and a Strat and a Tele and a 335 and a White Falcon are completely different instruments.

7. Tidewater Custom Shop

Tidewater Custom Shop Performance Enhancing Guitarworks Supporting Member

I'm an electric guy by far, but I've owned several high end acoustics.

A dread and an OM and a rosewood and a 'hog are completely different instruments.

8. telecasting

telecasting Member

Depends on the context of the music you play. I used to be in a folky pop band, and having at least a few different flavours of acoustic (5-6 in the end) in the studio was really helpful. When you have the same mics and the same room, the difference in size and materials, the different types of strings and the little things are the ways you differentiate the sound when recording.

Plus, you either need something else live or something you don't mind getting a little bit of gig wear and can hack a live environment.

9. Hwy14

Hwy14 Member

I'm a big fan of variety when it comes to my electrics... at least to an extent. I like different types of pickups, so I have a variety of electrics. AND I play them every single day.

I have one acoustic- an HD28. It doesn't get much better than that for me, so what would be the point of having another or something different?

10. telecasting

telecasting Member

It's totally down to personal preference then.

I guess, if you want the different tonal qualities of a Dred, a parlour guitar, a OM/OOO, a jumbo etc then you want one.

Something about corksniffers and all that...

11. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

I have 3 too, but I've owned a bunch of acoustics & these 3 just cover the ground I need.

I ended up with a dread, a 000 & a mini jumbo 12-string. Been only these 3 for a few years now.

These are all, without a doubt, completely different instruments.

12. jhumber

jhumber Member

Yikes, it's not often I post disagreements on here, but I think this is way off in my experience.
    I'd argue that by the time you run through half a dozen pedals into a distorted amp, most electric guitars will sound pretty much the same....especially in a live setting.

Acoustics on the other hand, vary much more from one to another......For session work I use a dreadnaught, a 000, a Taylor GS Mini, a classical, a nashville tuned acoustic, a 12-string etc etc. Microphones hear them all very differently, and they sit in the mix differently. They react so differently to right-hand technique (be it with fingers or a pick), and a mahogany bodied acoustic will sit differently than a rosewood one. Likewise a dreadnaught might be perfect for a big strummy part, but an OM will deliver the goods more often for a fingerstyle part (and sometimes they'll surprise you and behave the opposite of what you expect!).

Cheers
    Jordan

13. RAILhead

RAILhead (real name is Maury, BTW) Gold Supporting Member

The price has always been off-putting for me to get additional acoustics. I currently own a Gibson Dove, a Taylor K-14C, and an old Martin Sigma. I'd be snagging all kinds of other Gibson and Taylor (and other brands) acoustics, but for the price of the ones I'd pick, I could probably get a couple of electrics, which I play more.

14. stephenyi

stephenyi Member

This.

Check out www.acousticguitarforum.com and you will have more guys asking why you need more than 3 electrics.

Personally, I have 3 Taylor/RTaylor dreadnaught acoustics that look very similar but have different tonewoods and bracing patterns that project different tones.