Why make heads with the glass upside down?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by WBellman, Jun 12, 2019.

1. WBellman

WBellman Supporting Member

Convection cooling is a wonderful thing. Why some head makers still design upside down puzzles me. I understand the economic reasons behind using the same chassis for both a head and combo, but why not take advantage of allowing things to run cooler? Transformers would dig it too. And the chassis wouldn't have to do most of the heat sinking.

Gotta love how Friedman mounts his combo amps with the tubes are sideways. The knob text is upside down when viewing from the front, but that's a compromise I'll take to keep the tubes running cooler.

Thoughts???

2. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

Mounting them on top keeps the tubes from falling out.

3. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Economic benefits from shared head/combo form factor outweighs minimal cooling benefits which can be dealt with via heat sinks, fans, just ignoring it since amps are rarely run hot these days, etc.

Plus, Leo Did It That Way.

4. WBellman

Not minimal at all if you understand convection cooling (why Marshall heads have those vents on top). Only amp I ever owned that included a nice little quiet fan was a Fuchs. Wish more builders would use them - probably not more than $0.50 bought in bulk. Unfortunately, you really can't heat-sink a tube correctly, and transformers are designed to cool themselves via convection.

cooler = better efficiency and lifespan: Electronics 101

neville5000 and Scrapperz like this.
  5. willie k

willie k Silver Supporting Member

The tubes being upside down means the amps are made for heavier rock. You see, tone electrons are generally happy and light and have no problem with upright tubes. When you crank out the metal jams, the heavier electrons struggle against gravity. By turning the tubes upside down, gravity becomes your friend again. Simple physics, really.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    J Factor, Badtone, Mk90 and 11 others like this.
  6. slayerbear17

slayerbear17 Member

As a gigging musician that's the last thing on my mind. While I agree with you I doubt you would get much more mileage if you could have the perfect cooling system, even if you did how much longer can you increase lifespan? I think there's just too many factors involved.

rizla likes this.
  7. slayerbear17

slayerbear17 Member

As a Thrash Metal Musician I concur!

8. WBellman

Speaking of heat-sinks. They are designed to work well if mounted upright or sideways. Extremely inefficient if mounted upside down.

[​IMG]

Same thing basically as far as heat goes.

[​IMG]

Bet you couldn't touch the chassis of SRV's twins for at least 15 minutes after a gig. :D

[​IMG]

9. gruenburger

gruenburger Supporting Member

electron integrity is preserved in an upside down crystal lattice configuration. the neutrons on the other hand...

10. slayerbear17

slayerbear17 Member

I cant think of any good reason to touch a chassis straight after a gig.

Washburnmemphis likes this.
  11. WBellman

I bet changing tubes mid-show was rough though :p And the man was known to blow through his fair share of them!

slayerbear17 likes this.
  12. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Staff Member Supporting Member

The dude played 13's, his hands had to be devoid of pain receptors. ;)

13. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

That would explain why all those Fender designs are so prone to thermal failure on the gig.

I know the theory, and I'm sure that if amp manufacturers were going for mil-spec reliability, the design would be different, but for real world use scenarios and economics, apparently it doesn't matter that much.

Consider that having flat amp tops encourages people to set drinks on top, which can then spill into the amp causing all manner of mayhem. Why not make the top of the amp head in such a way that no one sets a drink on it? Because the cost/benefit ratio is out of whack.

14. gldtp99

gldtp99 Member

Are you sure you're not overthinking this ?

I have many Fender amps from '62, '64, '65, '66, etc. that have been working fine all their lives with the tubes/transformers mounted under the chassis.

I also have two 100 watt Marshalls (a '73, and a '78) that have convection cooling (tubes/transformers on top of chassis and vents in the top of the cabs to allow heat to escape) and have suffered PT failures in their lifetimes.

Sometimes components just fail----- it happens.

It doesn't mean the engineers at Marshall or Fender were ignorant fools.

I believe they did a good job with the classic amps of the past.

But maybe now, in 2019, the OP can come up with better designs.

And he will instantly become rich and famous--- :cool::cool::cool:

HotBluePlates likes this.
  15. WBellman

orange juice + Marshall 50W head = lots of costly mayhem. But for a second there, the colors coming out of it were cool!

Of course. Just bored and up for some discussion. Seriously though, since working in electronics it's always been a thing with me - same goes with batteries in stomp boxes. Never use them and always make to to have lots of ventilation - small quiet fan - with combos. It's not needed, but neither is Eric's rubber band ;)

[​IMG]

16. Kyle B

Kyle B Supporting Member

Tubes like being hot

Capacitors & resistors on the other hand...

It's a well known 'rule of thumb' (almost a 'fact') that for every 10 degrees cooler you run your capacitors, they last 10x longer.

17. FbIsNotE

FbIsNotE Member

I don't know why some manufactures do that. Mesa doesn't and it's something else to like about them for me. I'm no expert, but it seems to be the same chassis and they put in the extra effort / cost to do a second silk screening to keep the text correct on the other version.

Triple Crown head

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Triple Crown combo
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

I've used a $2 12V DC computer fan run off a 9V DC wall wart attached to the back of several amps. Cost almost nothing.

Baxtercat likes this.
  19. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

Two schools of thought.
    Hanging down Fender style drives heat in to the chassis but keeps floating debris off the tube internal elements instead of shorting things out like a reservoir tip;-). Tubes up is less hot but bits flaking off can short the tube out. In general I’ve never experienced a reliability issue with old Fender amps. My Super Reverb gets hot for sure but never breaks down.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    BobK, NorCal_Val, JPH118 and 3 others like this.
  20. SweetSAAB

SweetSAAB Supporting Member

Are you sure your knee level computer speakers even have tubes? You might want to double check.