Why most guitar techs have attitudes?

Balamuthia

Not everyone, but the majority of them seems to have this attitude where you cant tell them anything, you cant complain or point out anything they may have missed or done different from what you asked, otherwise they brand you as difficult to work with.

I honestly don’t get it. At least mechanics, for example, actually have some form of degree or institute they attended to and they have to deliver otherwise the heads above them get pissed

Basically they want you to leave the guitar, do whatever they think is correct, shut up and just pay.

You literally just have to accept that theyll take the liberty with your guitar and do things their way rather what you asked

People tell you to become your tech, but just like shoe repair, is a set of skills that tend to be passed down through people, generations, etc. There are certain things that youll have no choice but to contract the services of a tech.

Many are unresponsive or hard to reach, almost as if is they be doing you a favor or something.

When reaching a tech is just as hard if not harder than reaching a woman youre interested in you know things are messed up lol

(Something)

I don’t think in 30 years of playing that I’ve ever had a tech refuse to do what I asked or “take liberties with my guitar.” I have had techs talk me out of something because it wouldn’t have worked out the way I thought it would.

I do have some empathy as someone in another field where clients like to “point out things I could’ve done differently.” Everyone thinks they can do your job better, but no one ever takes the initiative to actually do it themselves. It wears thin quickly.

Chuck Chrome

Not everyone, but the majority of them seems to have this attitude where you cant tell them anything, you cant complain or point out anything they may have missed or done different from what you asked, otherwise they brand you as difficult to work with.

I honestly don’t get it. At least mechanics, for example, actually have some form of degree or institute they attended to and they have to deliver otherwise the heads above them get pissed

Basically they want you to leave the guitar, do whatever they think is correct, shut up and just pay.

You literally just have to accept that theyll take the liberty with your guitar and do things their way rather what you asked

People tell you to become your tech, but just like shoe repair, is a set of skills that tend to be passed down through people, generations, etc. There are certain things that youll have no choice but to contract the services of a tech.

Many are unresponsive or hard to reach, almost as if is they be doing you a favor or something.

When reaching a tech is just as hard if not harder than reaching a woman youre interested in you know things are messed up lol
Think you answered some of your own questions. Find a different tech. It may take some time but most of us who choose not to or can't handle the more labor intensive jobs have had to go down this route. If they are just doing "whatever they think is correct" perhaps the instrument owner didn't do their job in accurately describing the issue or work desired? Be very specific on what you want done and completion time. Clear communication up front makes things easier on them as well as you. There are some weird people in the world but most techs would rather a satisfied customer over one who is not.

Benny

Platinum Supporting Member
I guess I’ve been lucky in that with just one exception, all the techs I’ve encountered while moving about and living in different parts of the country have been great.

I do wonder whether this is a dying profession - a few of my favorite techs have retired or died without a successor.

Balamuthia

I know they have attitude so I always interact with them in a cordial and respectful manner as they have a my guitar and i want a good job

But even so I still found some of them take liberties and do things their own way and seem to get upset if you mention anything that could be wrong

They probably love noobs as they just pag and dont know any better they probably dont like people like us with experience and some knowledge

Rumble

Instrumental Rocker
Gold Supporting Member
"No repair for YOU!"
1663606101465.png

JosephZ

They are guitar players. What did you expect?
^^
And they have to deal with other guitar players all day too… along with those players’ sometimes unrealistic expectations that their guitars are just one miracle set up away from achieving ultra low buzz free action with absolutely no downsides whatsoever. If I was a guitar tech I’d probably have let’s say variable attitude myself.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom