Why Musicians Are Plagued With Early Deaths

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by jjboogie, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Fatherflot

Fatherflot Supporting Member

Good quote there:

2. gpro34

gpro34 Member

Lifestyle mostly. As a wise man once said, "It's not the years, it's the miles."

3. guitaristanyc

guitaristanyc Senior Member

People die young every day around the world - I tend to doubt that musicians suffer from this problem at a higher rate than most.

4. Mark Barna

Mark Barna Supporting Member

My last band lasted about 2 1/2 years. I don't drink and I exercise regularly. I'm in my late 40s and had no problem ever packing it in and out. All I'd have every night is ice water. What a great time it always was, and when I got home I felt great and could go to sleep pretty quickly. If musicians would lay off the drink, drugs and medications, they'd see just how fun it is to play out, even though it tends to be for a bunch of drunks if it's a club. When I see clips of Hendrix zonked out, it's so sad. He's doing what he loves and making a living at it. And yet...

I have plenty of ideas on why musicians gets into drugs and stuff, but I've typed enough.

Interesting article.

5. tweedster

tweedster Supporting Member

Musicians working in popular music die young because of:

1) Lots of drugs

2) They are surrounded by sycophants and leeches. If they are successful early in their career, they believe the lifestyle they have will last forever, or if they are not succesful initially, success is around the corner.

3) Popularity is a harsh mistress

6. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

This is my suspicion. People do not make lists of all the musicians who do not die young, and this makes the lists of those who do seem disproportionate.

7. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

Lots of musicians I work with regularly are in their 50's and 60's and beyond. Lifestyle choices and genetics play a big part.
    And then there's Keith Richards.

8. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

We're comparing 4-8 local gigs a month to touring?
    Seriously...try starting your day with 6AM radio performance, more interview stuff, sound check, gig, travel...
    One does not need get get ****ed up for touring being a hard life.

9. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

The last time I got involved in a thread like this, a TGP member basically told me that I was full of it, basically "don't tell me how hard it is on the road", as he worked as a therapist to soldiers returning home from Afghanistan, I believe.

It's all relative. Yes, someone always has it worse. Doesn't mean you won't die in a bathtub, if you aren't careful.

The article (link in OP) is all true. That's all I need to say on the subject I think

10. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I missed that last exchange but whoever offered that supposed insight to you (of all people) is one freakin' maroon ... sheesh .... amen:huh

11. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

The process as a musician on the road is difficult, if you are not prepared.

12. Bob Savage

Bob Savage Member

Information Services in today's large enterprise is difficult even if you're prepared. I've seen a number of people drop dead, even in their office as a result of the amount of stress involved in giving more for less.

I don't disagree that life on the road catches a lot of people off guard but having to make a living in today's fast paced corporate culture can be equally as unhealthy.

13. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I learned enough about life on the road as the host to major bands I booked 40 yrs ago, to cure me of any romantic illusions about it or a desire to live that life.... corporate, musical, or otherwise.

I, too, have had two colleagues die on the job (heart related) and 2-3 others suffer serious heart attacks (govt. service, law enf. related) .... many tough paths out there.

14. Secret Ingredient

Secret Ingredient Member

I've worked long hours doing business travel, and I've worked (and continue to work) long hours without travel. If you're not wired for it, working really hard hours always away from home is more emotionally draining.

Add in the constant pressure for drug abuse and it's a recipe for disaster. Honestly, every time I see a thread that has pictures of drunk or stoned rockstars, with comments like "Rock and Roll!" it just makes me cringe.

15. tonejunky

tonejunky Member

^ Yeah I suppose that it is a little bit of a shame that getting drunk will make some potential fan think you're cool.. and being sober will make some potential fan think you're lame.

I guess the average fan is younger/less-experienced than the average artist that they're a fan of.

:dunno

16. gishlullmoon

gishlullmoon Member

17. aliensporebomb

aliensporebomb Member

My last job in I.T. was brutally cutthroat and competitive. I saw three different guys get carted out on stretchers in my six years there. One guy in his thirties had an aneurysm and later died. A year after I left I dropped by on my way to have lunch with a friend and an ambulance was out front and three of my former co-workers were standing around near it. Another of my former group was being carted out.

My current day gig we went from a team of 9 to a team of 4. Not much fun.

18. gmann

gmann Member

I said that, thanks for the compliment!

19. cmadragon

cmadragon Member

Nobody is making any of them do it. Every musician chooses it (many choose it and never make it). You can choose to stop doing it anytime. And like others have said, the numbers are probably pretty well in line with normal. Its like air travel vs car travel. By the numbers air travel is far safer but may seem more dangerous because when there is a disaster it is a more sensational story than the everyday fatalities due to traffic accidents.