Why my Bad Monkey got the boot...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Incufan7, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Incufan7

Incufan7 Member

Well it all started when I was picking up local radio stations whilst playing today. I unplugged a few effects and low and behold it was the bad monkey that was the culprit. When I took it out I was blown away at how much better my peavey classic 50 sounded. Seriously I was fixing to buy a laney VC30 to replace it but now I don't have to. Thank god for those radio stations or I would have made a huge mistake. So bye bye to the bad monkey and hello to better tone!!!

2. subversivepinko

subversivepinko Member

The RF interference is never good. I'm suprised you weren't liking the Bad Monkey's tone, though.

How did you have it set?

3. Incufan7

Incufan7 Member

I was using it as a boost. Drive down volume up. There was RF interference even when bypassed. Plus the fact that it was killing the tone of my amp. The funny thing is I dont remeber it doing that when I first got it. Ohh well

4. subversivepinko

subversivepinko Member

Sounds like you might have gotten a bad unit. Tonewise, the EQ section is very important. I end up with the bass around 2 o'clock and the treble around 3 for the best sound with my set up.

5. Electric I

Electric I Member

In this case, the pedal's name is quite fitting.

;)

6. Incufan7

Incufan7 Member

Yeah you are probably right. It was a good sounding pedal but was always really bright in my rig. Ohh well I think Im gonna go with a super chili pisco to take the place of the bad monkey.

7. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

i dont understand why so many people like this pedal. i found it to be typical of a low budget overdrive. Artificial. im not tknocking it cause its a digitech, just dont likethe tone. just my opinion.

8. Incufan7

Incufan7 Member

I think its because it is so good for the cheap price you pay. But then again it is cheap so it cant be THAT good.

9. drolling

drolling Member

Yeah - like I said in the other BM thread, you really can't beat this pedal for 40 bucks, but for just a few dollars more, you can have a Timmy or a Blues Pro.

I've never understood the rationale behind putting a cheap pedal between a fine guitar and an excellent amp. When I go down to jam night at the Apocalypse Blues Bar on Heart Attack & Vine, the monkey's in the gig bag that holds my beaten partscaster and radio shack cables..

10. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

I agree. I actually run my treble at around 5 o'clock and bass at around 3.

For those that are put off by a cheap pedal I'm sure the store you buy it from would let you pay more.

11. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Mine is as smooth as my zendrive. I have to crank the treble to 3'oclock to get anything resembling grit. By comparison a TS-9 is MUCH brighter. Its a good pedal at twice the price and at $40 its a steal. Of course no pedal works for everybody.

12. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

Mine got booted off my board because the buffer didn't play nice with other pedals, and sometimes the input jack would refuse to make a connection. I still use it around the house, but I can't have a pedal refuse to pass signal on a gig.

13. Ted James

Ted James Member

I just picked one up 2 days ago based on recomendations in another thread. Finally got to play around with it last night. Was blown away. Think best $40 I've spent in a long time. Think the key is to have the bass and trebble set past 1:00. Drive somewhere past 10:30. Very open sounding. Yes I know its a Digitech. Was funny b/c the guy at the shop who I've bought all sorts of gear from tried to talk me out of it. Looked At me like I was crazy. ButI tell you what I was amazed when I compared it to my Analogman Silver (but then again they are VERY different pedals). Interstingly when runing them into each other TS9>BM sounds muddy but BM>TS9 kicks butt. For some reason the TS9 wants to see the amp maybe. Anyway - hope I dont have the RF problem. And it seems very quiet to me. But for $40 everyone on this site should own one.

14. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

If somebody comes up with a true bypass BM, it will probably be the last overdrive pedal I buy.

15. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

I am with you on this one ted, it has been great, comparable to an OCD i used to own.

I am using it right now after a Sweetsound Ultra Vibe and I am considering buying a Keeley mini looper to compare the sound of my rig without the Bad Monkey buffer in the chain.

16. vinni

vinni Member

So again....

Another hype smashed to pieces....

Doesn't do any good to the credibility of TGP!

Vinni

17. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

Just beecause you like yours doesn't mean that everyone will or that the only reason they don't is becuase theeir unit is defective :D

18. subversivepinko

subversivepinko Member

Couldn't agree more. I wasn't saying that at all. I like it, but it's not the end-all-be-all. Nothing is. They're all just tools. You should you whatever tools work best for you.

The fact that he was getting RF interference, and that he stated the sound seemed to degrade over time, is what made me suggest that. If he had just plugged it in, and not liked it, that would be a totally different story. It has nothing to do with my personal like or dislike of that product.

19. Baby Evil

Baby Evil Member

I have an OCD, which I love, and I took a BM home from the store to try it out. No comparison at all, and €43 for this pedal just isn't worth it imo.
    It's not about price, I have cheapo EH's next to my OCD and BB, but I really think the BM just sounds plain bad. I must have tried a defective one:moon ;)

Jan

20. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

Trust me when I say that I was not expecting much from the Bad Monkey. I did my usual thing, which is wait for all the wealthy forum members to buy the latest and greatest thing, then when the next latest and greatest thing comes along I buy the old latest and greatest thing at a great price in the effects emporium. For whatever reason this particular pedal really sounds good to me, for $25 used it has been a really good investment. BTW, I am looking for another OCD, I really enjoyed that pedal, sold it to help pay for a Lucky 7.