Why no BF or SF Champ resissues?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by '62 Stratmaniac, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

I honestly don't remember the last pedal I bought that was as cheap as the Jupiter and the speaker has made the bigger difference.

e??? likes this.
  2. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

I did some home recording with a BF Vibro Champ years ago. I stuck it on a stool at the end of a hallway in my apartment, and put a close mic and a far mic to mix in some room sound. Cranked that sucker with a little OD and on the recording it sounds like a much bigger amp. They excel as practice/recording amps, I wouldn't consider gigging with one, but they are classics for a reason. Just need a good speaker IMO.
    Al

NamaEnsou and Darkness like this.
  3. HotBluePlates

HotBluePlates Member

Then check out Page 1-57 if you need to see a tube in the schematic diagram. The definition of Class A is the same whether you use a tube, transistor, FET, or any other active device you prefer.

Look at Page 1-42 here, and replace the word "transistor" with "tube" in the verbiage about push-pull.

guitarjazz likes this.
  4. Guitartim

Guitartim Member

Just to show that not all Tweed Champ users crank em up to get great tones, check out jazzer, Julian Lage.

5. bryan83

bryan83 Member

Definitely check out Jupiter speakers. I run them in all my vintage fenders. I’m very happy with them.

NamaEnsou likes this.
  6. NamaEnsou

NamaEnsou Supporting Member

I never want to experience my Champ onstage, but at home, absolutely great.

e??? likes this.
  7. Shnook

Shnook Member

Funny but I can’t stand the sound of a Tweed Champ cranked. I keep my ‘59 on 4. That’s a sound I really like.

e??? and NamaEnsou like this.
  8. grumphh

grumphh Member

Going by the video the amp does sound "ratty" when overdriven (that would be hard to dispute), and i most certainly wouldn't want one to play at home.
    Cleans are ok, depending on what sort of cleans you like, i guess.

That said, occasionally "ratty" is just the ticket for a given player or piece of music.

But all in all i don't like what i hear from the amp in the vid and it would sound terrible for the music i play.

...aaaaand the point is: Tone is still subjective and trying to discuss it as if there could be established some objective framework of good or bad tone is futile.

e??? likes this.
  9. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

Few months ago Chicago Music had new Fender Champs for $4K, these are custom shop. So yeah Fender reissued on a special run for a specific dealer...

10. woof*

woof* Member

Fender introduced the bare bones Champ for kids learning guitar at a cheap price point to see if they were serious. The next models, Harvard and Princeton were student models named after schools.
    In this day and age where everything is collectible the prices for these little amps in relation to what they offer is crazy.
    Hogy is correct, they are toys and sound like toys.
    It doesn’t bother me in the least if a guy loves the tone, to each his own and if you can get usable sounds more power to you.

11. MHG

MHG Member

Do you consider a Tweed Champ a toy as well?

12. NamaEnsou

Yep, and they still saw fit to make them sound good too, even adding in the vibrato circuit later on.

MHG and e??? like this.
  13. e???

e??? Member

You are correct. And I'm sad to say I had to learn that the hard way at a venue I waited years to play. I thought: "they mic everything, should be fine..." :facepalm

Marketing is marketing, what a company thinks it's target market is for a specific product means nothing to me. They're just trying to sell stuff.

And just because they weren't made to be loud enough to play out at bars, doesn't mean they don't shine and even sometimes outdo their bigger siblings. Especially at low volumes, which is important sometimes.

It's like saying a '58 Les Paul special is inferior to a '58 Les paul, because it was cheaper and was "for" students, instead of pros. They're just different, and Gibson's pricing and marketing at that time doesnt mean much if you want a particular sound. If you want a maple top and pafs, get the Les Paul. If you want p90's and all mahogany, go for the special.

To each his own for sure, I just don't like the argument that because something costs less originally, it is inferior. It's not, it was just cheaper to make and different.

MHG and NamaEnsou like this.
  14. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

I've gigged mine several times but I prefer gigging them in a stereo pair with a Fulltone ST2. I mic my tweed and drip edge Champs with an e609 on each and I usually put an iso shield around them to isolate the mic from every thing else bleeding over. I've never needed any in my monitors either, just FoH and I run them just under the edge of breakup.

NamaEnsou likes this.
  15. NamaEnsou

I bet it sounded great too. Not all of us have the same needs and whatever works, just works. I keep a 906 with my Friedman just in case I need it, but usually just playing with nothing but vocals through the mains and the Champ wouldn't work on stage for me, which means it gets to stay at home and not get all beat up in bars.
    To tell the truth, as loud as I like to play, I've only ever used the Champ at pristine levels, which I really enjoy too.

16. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

I gigged a small dive bar with a Silverface Vibro Champ for years (un-mic'ed).

I received more compliments on my tone than other guys who played through much bigger amps. It was the right tool (not a toy) for the job.

People need to be more open minded. That Champ has been the right "tool" on several occasions, which convinced me to never sell it. I've bought several Deluxe sized amps for those small gigs and I STILL find times when the piddly SF Vibro Champ is the better tool. I'll never sell it. It sounds glorious to me when used in the right environment.

JK1965 and MHG like this.
  17. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

This is of course the answer. If they get expensive enough on the the used market, I think we'll see it. But I don't think we will see it, because I don't thing the first part will happen. Which is good actually, because someone that wants one can find one at a still fairly reasonable price. They've climbed a lot, but I still don't think it's going to be enough to get Fender to want to make a reissue.

As far as Hogy goes, cmon it's his opinion, he knows it, we know it, why all the offense being taken? Because he didn't qualify with ten "IMHOs"?

By the way, I have a SF and think they are good amps and can be very useful. IMHO of course!

e??? and blackba like this.
  18. NamaEnsou

It's also good because as long as the price stays relatively low there's little temptation to sell. :)

19. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

I can completely understand why they would feel/sound/seem like a toy to someone who only uses larger amps, but even a Roland Micro Cube, which is about as toy-ish as it gets for a guitar amp, is a "tool" to a busker. Sometimes you've got to look at the bigger picture than your own experience.

Timmo and e??? like this.
  20. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

Sure, I don't agree with him either, and valid points against his are of course, well, valid points. I'm just not mad at him, even if he did call my amp a toy!

woof* and MHG like this.