• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Why no bogner burnley love here??

VESmedic

Silver Supporting Member
I own a ton of overdrives, including the bogner Wessex. While I'm still relatively new to building pedals for overdrive/distortion tones, between the Wessex and the burnley, there isn't a pedal that has come close for medium to high gain tones outside of these two. Their response is amazing, their high end sings, and the burnley sounds like a fire breathing head and 4x12 no matter what you play thru. I haven't found a distortion pedal or medium gain standalone overdrive pedal that has held up to these two as far as feel, natural and complex sounding overdrive/distortion, or amp like response. Everything else I've tried sounds just kinda, I dunno, fake I guess. I am not talking about clean boosts like the EP or archer/klon type pedals. But for what these pedals do, they excel like nothing I've played so far. Any one else really digging these pedals or am I the only deaf one here?

Ivo

Got one recently. I use it with a PRS Archon, which has a lead channel that I love, but can sound too aggressive for certain styles. The Burnley is like adding a 3rd channel I can use for a more modern Marshall (or Bogner, if you will) flavor. It's expensive, but the Burnley sounds so good that I don't see myself getting another drive for this application.

Snagged a Burnley off Ebay a few weeks back for £95!! It's a great pedal - quite dark, but that works great for me. Suspect it will kick the Suhr Riot off my main board in the coming months!

Great for bass as well!!

guitar29

Gold Supporting Member
Owned it 3 times, sold it 3 times. Very lifeless pedal in my opinion and I've used it with more than a dozen amps.

pullagnm

This is defiantly a distortion, not overdrive, clean booster, on the edge of breakup, but raw thick crack-in distortion. So don't bother unless your looking for a distortion pedal. Lifeless it is not, it puts out what you put into it.

plan-x

This pedal is made for a clean amp, which I'm not doing right now. So I let mine go. In a clean amp, it's unrivaled. Touch sensitive, screaming lead tones with a thumpin bottom end. If I ever go back to a clean amp format, I'm getting another one. Maybe a Wessex too.

I've got a Bogner Ecstasy Red that duplicates that same task for me. I've also got a pedal I designed and built myself for more JCM-800 Marshall tones. Between them, I don't really have a use for the Burnley, though if I didn't already have those, I would take a serious look at it. Then again, he's supposed to be putting out the La Grange eventually for the very same kinds of tones, so I'd probably wait till that came out and do a comparison.

jlagrassa

Silver Supporting Member
Owned it 3 times, sold it 3 times. Very lifeless pedal in my opinion and I've used it with more than a dozen amps.
Just curious what amps have you tried it with? I like the Burnley but I'm never 100% content with most pedals either.

guitar29

Gold Supporting Member
Just curious what amps have you tried it with? I like the Burnley but I'm never 100% content with most pedals either.
Reinhardt 18 and Storm 33
Vintage 1965 Princeton Reverb
Bad Cat Cub 2R
Alessandro Black N Tan
Louis Electric KR 12
many others. Just not feeling the magic.

PurpleJesus

Moderation is key
Staff member
It was alright but didn't stick for me. I got it in a trade for a Blue. Still haven't tried the Red. Need to.

Top Bottom