Why No Crate Vintage Club Love?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Wesman61, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

I've posted on these amps a few times and usually get no or neg. responses. The newer models seem to get a lot of attention but to Me they don't sound any better and both channels share tone controls. That's something I just don't get. I've never been happy with an amp that is set up like that. I know the VC's can have reliability issues. Marshalls and Fenders do too but they keep selling like hotcakes. Mine had an intermitent issue that's long gone. (a little squirt of contact cleaner took care of it).

I really like these and for > $200.00 delivered it's been a great investment. Mine is a 2x12 that I converted to a 1x12 with an Eminence RW&B. The sound is very balanced and big. The amp isn't all that heavy and works great at livingroom and jamming volumes. The reverb isn't that great if You want to sound like Dick Dale but is good for Me since I only use a little. I'm not whining, just curious.

2. bunuel

bunuel Member

who knows? Might be the snob factor. I think they're the ultimate bargain amp. Sound absolutely great for the bucks!! I love my vintage stuff, but my vintage club is what I drag to gigs. My only complaint is the weight.

3. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

I have a VC5212, Love it. I payed $149.50 on ebay and the guy drove down from the valley and dropped it off at my house.
    I also have an older VC30 I bought new in 97... I don't play it much anymore, it just doesn't sound anywhere near as good as it did... I put new tubes in it and a new speaker and that only made it worse. When I play it through my Marshall 1965 410 cab it sounds pretty sweet but my 5212 was cheap and I take it with me when I go out and jam.

4. sliberty

sliberty Member

My son has a Vintage Club 50 with 1x15" speaker from the mid-late 90's. The clean channel is just fabulous. When full out, it reminds me of the cleanish punch of my DR103. The dirty channel is nothing special, in fact, not very pleasing. The amps is really big and heavy though.

5. auraelux

auraelux Member

<3 <3 <3

My first amplifier. Great little thing. Too bad some douchebag stole it from me.

6. LocustXReign

LocustXReign Member

I got a vc-50 for my first tube amp. The black one with a 1x12. Still got her! 200 bucks in minty shape, and 7 years of pretty serious use and it's still an awesome amp IMO.

I had a speaker out put under the chassis and used it on a 3 day mini tour through my 4x12 when I was waiting on my BadCat to be delivered, and it really worked perfect the whole time!

-Dave B

7. oldhousescott

oldhousescott Silver Supporting Member

I bought a used VC3112 a few years ago. It worked for a while and then started doing the volume drop/auto channel switching thing. I tried touching up the solder points on the PCB around the switching, but to no avail. I just recently ripped out the guts and put a custom eyelet board in along the lines of the AX84 Renegade. It sounded decent before, but sounds even better now.

8. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

The volume drop, auto switching is the bypass in the channel switching jack. The points in the jack become corroded and the vibration when you start to play causes the amp to start switching back and forth automatically.

9. cyguitar

cyguitar Member

I used to own a VC5212. I used to call it the best kept secret. People automatically dismiss them because of the Crate name. I almost did, but then plugged my LP in to one. I was shocked at the tone and warmth that came out of it. I had studio corksniffer's that were amazed at the tone I was getting with that amp. I sold it to get an AC30CC2 which I could never get the sound I was looking for out of it. Now I'm an Orange guy. I found the tone I hear in my head. If I could get another one at a good price as a back up amp, I wouldn't hesitate. Although I would not want another combo. I like head and cab better.

10. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Ive got 2 VC50 heads(as well as a V32 and 2 Stealth 50's). Paid 179$ a piece for them. They sound great thru my G12K-100 loaded 2x12 cab. Not my main amp at the moment but great back up none the less. Bob

11. meterman

meterman Member

I saw a guy playing a Tele in a Bourbon Street blues bar several years ago with great tone and was very surprised to see between sets that he was playing a Crate Vintage combo, I thought it was some kind of boutique...of course the guy was a monster player and that helped alot :)

12. Wesman61

Cool. Nice to see I'm not alone. Admittedly I'd like to have a boutique ptp version of this amp. Must be The Cork sniffer in Me. I bet Ben Fargen would do a great job! It has the same EL84's it had when I got it a couple of years ago. I'm looking at JJ's. Anyone try those?

13. cyguitar

cyguitar Member

Yes, I kept mine loaded with JJ's. Great tone.

14. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I liked mine so much I modded it into a head for more versatility.

[​IMG]

And with matching de-Tuned cab

[​IMG]

15. Wesman61

I think a head/cab setup might be My next amp. I like the bigger 2x12 cabs because they sound better to My ears.

16. greasykid

greasykid Member

My brother and I bought a VC50 head. We love it! It's a little loud, though...

Also, I was looking at the schematic recently and found out that the drive channel is has an all tube path, no diode clipping to get it into overdrive.

Paired it with a Marshall 2x12 bass cabinet. It will be loaded with Vintage 30s soon.

[​IMG]