Why no locking tuners on acoustics?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by flavorengine, Feb 3, 2008.

1. flavorengine

flavorengine Member

2. Griz

Griz Member

In my limited experience with them (Sperzels on a Fender CS Strat), they seem to let the windings on strings get a bit loose; whatever it is, the strings go dead faster.

Not an issue if you change strings every show, I guess. Then there's the added mass; might make for more serious "neck dive" on an acoustic, given the lighter body weights.

3. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

Not necessarily. Hipshot markets a really good open back locking tuner that's lighter than a lot of closed back tuners that are stock on many acoustics.

4. rrhea

rrhea Member

Good points by Griz, but I am pretty sure I'll be putting some on my next acoustic. I have a Korean Breedlove that I want to flip for an American made one. That one will get some locking tuners for sure.

I am not sure why most builders aren't using locking tuners and compensated nuts. I mean, compensated nuts were just made for acoustic guitars. Seriously.

RR

5. syxxstring

syxxstring Member

Not really a need with good tuners to lock 'em on an acoustic, unless your adding a whammy bar.
    I have no tuning problems with the standard Breedlove (gotoh, i believe) on mine
    It would make string chanes marginally easier I guess.

6. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I've got locking tuners on ALL my electrics (after-market when necessary) and I've never even wanted them on my acoustics.

7. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

Not needed on my acoustic...

Waverley's stay in tune!

8. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Member

Without a trem or Bixby there's really no reason to have locking tuners. Properly strung (and there is more than one right way) decent tuners won't slip. Even mediocre tuners won't slip.

And to the poster who commented about compensated nut, well, I just don't get that on a steel string acoustic ... an adjustment to the string length at the bridge end is fine. Compensated nuts may make sense on classical and electrics where the 3rd string is not wound and is notorious for being difficult to intonate, especially at the low end of the neck.

9. crosse79

crosse79 Member

Yeah - good question!

10. Unburst

Unburst Member

Because they're not necessary.

11. Dave

Dave Member

I like locking tuners because string changes are quick and easy, has nothing to do with staying in tune. I guess I'm just lazy/impatient, but I'd love to have locking tuners on my acoustics.

12. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

I found that Schaller lockers were a direct bolt-in on my (pre-Fender) Tacoma DR16... they work great. :AOK

[​IMG]

13. PFCG

PFCG Member

i always wanted to put some on my breedlove custom. I didnt get them when i bought the guitar, and i have the mini grovers. They stay in tune really well, but i was thinking about something like Steinberger tuners. That 40:1 Ratio is really nice, even if it has a post twice as big as the sperzels, it would still be a 20:1 ratio versus the 14:1

They sure look heavier, but i dont know how neck heavy it would make the guitar. i know the body is featherweight. Ive never had a guitar that was neck heavy so i dont know what its like to really have it tilt on me.

I think i might put on the sperzels or something. who knows.

14. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I don't agree with that. It's been my experience that locking tuners make string changing quicker, but really have no effect on whammy tuning unless you don't know how to string conventional tuners properly. Most whammy tuning issues are the nut, not the tuners.

15. joe1871

joe1871 Member

Myunderstanding is its the mass of the tuner - look at Waverlys. I have a Collings CJKA - very high end acoustic. The tuners are basically exposed gears - but very nice exposed gears. They are probably a 1/4 of the weight of a set of Grovers or Schallers.

Joe

16. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Member

Yep, I can see that. Hey ... what the heck do I know? :rolleyes: I've played acoustic guitars almost exclusively for the past 40 years or so ... obviously I've never missed locking tuners ... hell, I don't even know why they're used! :D

I can't imagine they save enough time stringing up but if one is used to having them I suppose they become nearly indispensable. I can string up in the middle of a song without much problem ... except on one guitar with a pinless bridge, and that's only because my old eyes can't see the freekin' hole once I pull the old string out ... :(

17. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

The new Gotoh Contour minis are 18:1 gear ratio and lock just by winding the string around the post.

18. flavorengine

flavorengine Member

so the consensus is that lockers are too heavy. and some think that they don't even have an anti-slip advantage. i thought that lockers had a clear anti-slip advantage.

19. c_mac

c_mac Member

My friend replaced the Grovers on his Gibson JC-180 with a set of Grover locking tuners and he couldn't be happier. He likes how easy it is to change strings and he doesn't have to dick with winding.

I have locking tuners on all of my electrics and like how easy changing strings are.

Damn it, I keep forgetting where I am, this is the Gear Page. Guitar technology created after 1959 is pointless and robs tone, there I said it, so let me back into your good graces people.

20. Dave

Dave Member

The Gotoh locking tuners shouldn't be any heavier than your average sealed tuner. The ones with a knob on the back (Sperzel, Schaller) probably are heavier.

As for slippage, I've never had a problem with locking or standard tuners. Locking tuners are supposed to work better with tremolos because there are no windings around the post that can go slack, basically accomplishing the same thing a locking nut would, although, with locking tuners the string can still bind in the nut slot.