Why no love for the JCM900???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by IcedEarth, Sep 5, 2005.

1. IcedEarth

IcedEarth Member

I find that only a handful of people like this amp?? I'm looking for a good sounding, inexpensive MARSHALL, and I've come acrossed some good deals on some 900's. I've never owned one, but have owned a DSL, and tried a JCM800, (too expensive), and found them to sound extremely similar, (at medium volume).

Question is, will I get that classic, Marshall grind with a 900?? What's the difference tonally between a 4100 DR, and 2500 MKIII single channe? I'd rather have reverb, but I'll sacrifice that for tone! Which 900's are most desirable - early 90's EL34?

Help me out, I'm ampless, and need something quick. I'm buying a Framus Cobra or Powerball around the holidays, and need something until then.

I'm currently looking to spend $600-$800. Help me out, please!

2. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

I like a few of the JCM 900's. I have owned a 2500 MK III, and a 2500 SL-X, the SL-X was better IMHO. The SL-X I owned was from the early 90's and had Drake transformers EL-34's and one additional preamp tube as compaired to the MK III. It could pull off tone's ranging from Los Lonely Boys to early VH, has a switchable volume function that lets you set a volume A and then set Volume B then use the footswitch for lead's (kinda like little aligator pedal that VAI uses except no taper). Nice Marshall crunch, play it first and lets your ears decide.:)

3. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

[​IMG] =

[​IMG]

in my experience , lifeless cleans and buzzy grainy overdrive, i hate jcm900 amps, in my opinion when the last vertical input jcm800 2203 and 2204 rolled outta the marshall factory in bletchley , marshall lost something and joined the ranks of Crate.I wait to hear the 1959HW with baited breath, to me, the DSL`s, Mode 4 and AVT`s represent a company chucking out amps rather than making amps that nod to their tones of bygone days.

just my opinion.

4. IcedEarth

IcedEarth Member

Can't - they're all on Ebay. The only amp I have access to is the DSL. I think it sounds kinda thin, and too modern. I want that distinct, Marshall crunch..

If it means anything, I have an MXR 10-band EQ, and Wylde Overdrive, (best sounding, least coloring OD on the market, IMO).
    How bout those into the front/loops?

5. Don L

Don L Member

My experience as well...

6. Soothsayer

Try a Peavy Classic series amp, it will hold you over until you get your Framus.

7. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

do you reckon navarro actually uses the 900 series ? i know he is always photographed with them , but i think tonally , they absolutely suck, I wonder has dave a hidden amp he actually uses...hmmmmmmm ;)

8. Neill

Neill Member

Jeff Beck seems to like his JCM 900(s).

9. tubez

tubez Suspended

Personally I think the JCM 800's are overated and I am sure the 900's are worse. They sound good for 80's metal and thats about it. IMO They really don't get a nice warm toney sound. I aggree to go with a peavey classic for a quick fix. Much better tone then the marshalls and cheaper. You may need an overdrive pedal for higher gain stuff but pedals are relatively cheap also. Just my 2 cts

10. Deaj

Deaj Member

If you're using a JCM900 you're already using the equivalent of a distortion pedal. The JCM900 series amps use a diode based clipping circuit for the dirty stuff. :(

11. Soothsayer

Just one man's opinion guys, I like the SL-X. I have had the privledge of owning some very nice toneful amps ie. Carmen Ghia, Lucky 7, Astroverb, I think the SL-X is a pretty decent sounding Marshall. I'm not the expert, I just play as a hobby....

12. Roe

Roe Member

Doesen't jeff beck use a jcm2000 dsl?

13. guitarboy_02451

guitarboy_02451 Member

I disliked my Marshall for a long while, but now I love it.
    I replaced all the tubes with:

1. Groove Tube 6L6-R (a.k.a. b model) russian tubes. Had it rebiased

2. Groove Tube 12AX7M (Mullard Reissues). Breakup up is much sooner than Sovtek's or others...

3. Replaced the G12T-75's for Green Backs.

And lastly, I never use the 2nd chanell. For distortion I either use a TS9 or a Tube Works Real Tube Pedal (Eric Johnson in a box) :)

Having made mod's I'm very happy. The tones are very smooth. I enjoy playing this amp as much as I do my Dr.Z Maz Sr.

-paul

14. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Cause they sound like asssssss!

[​IMG]

15. covert

covert Member

Of course this is also true of the 800 series. The main difference is taht the 800 has two rather large diodes, and the 900 had a chip in bridge format. A competent tech should be able to remove the chip, as was done to mine. I don't recall if there were any parts put in place.

The significant difference is the chips in the tone circuits. I haven't been bothered by those.

16. Rich M

Rich M Member

Iced Earth,
    Where are you located? I have a JCM800 2205 and 2203 I might be needing to part with.

17. Neill

Neill Member

Roe,

Maybe I should have put "Liked". No clue what he's using now but whatever it is it's good (see "Jeff").

18. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

What Kind of sound are you looking for

Classic rock/blues
    80's rock
    90's or later rock punk...?

If you are thinking about the earlier stuff, look at Traynor.

19. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Well, I loved my JCM900 50 watt Master Volume. As apposed to the Dual Reverb, as far as I understand, it DIDN'T have the Diode clipping stage, at least until you used the second gain knob (someone may correct me on this). I set mine up on stage right next to Eric Johnson's mongo rig once...

Gigged for years with this amp, a 70's reissue 4x12 (Greenbacks), a 535 Wah, a Boss Super Overdrive and a servicable ART rack in my effects loop. Got pretty good tone out of this rig. I did ALSO, have a Dual Reverb combo, it DIDN'T sound as good as my Master Volume one.

20. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

I had a dual reverb, turned me off of marshalls for ten years.