Why no love for wah after fuzz?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Shiny_Beast, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Member

During the last couple years when I've actually had a fuzz, I pretty much never even considered putting it after. So I've been playing around with my wah circuit, trying to get a deeper tone out of it through the fuzz, adding a buffer etc...The problem is you can gt the wah to wah, but that magic connection between theguitar and fuzz doesn't happen.

So I'm listening to voodoo child, and like, even with buffer and/or other tricks I've been trying, it's just not happening. That's when it occurs to me and I go and hook it up. I'm 99% sure this was what he was running into the bassman when they recorded that, probably backed off the fuzz just enough to keep things managable.

Hero worship and tone chasing aside, there's more wah, a richer fuzz tone. I still like it before too, as long as I have a buffer or resistor at the end of the wah, but my minimal playing around with after is yeilding some great and usable tones.

Gonna set up like this for a while and see how it goes.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  2. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Member

The fuzz is always first in my chain. Fuzzes like to be first and get the guitar's completely dry signal. The wah is next for me and then the vibe.

3. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Sometimes wah after dirt has a much more profound effect on the tone.

4. Kummeli

Kummeli Member

I run my wah after all dirt (fuzz and od's). To me the wah sounds best that way. More exaggerated sound.

I actually used to have the wah before dirt until about 3 months ago when I "renovated" my pedalchain. That's when I also moved the vibe from 2nd (after wah) to after dirt and wah. So I quess that I just think of my tone differently than I used to.

5. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    How these pedals react completely depends on which wah, which fuzz, which amp imo

What did Jimmy use on Voodoo Chile - who knows - did he even use a fuzz pedal at all ??

Your set up X sounds ordinary while my setup Y with a Morley Bad Horsie 2 > Astrotone fuzz pedal > dirt > Mesa and Egnater amps sounds great.
    But if I change the pedal types and/or amp I'll likely get a very different outcome

6. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Fuzz-wah-vibe-dirt-buffer-modulation-boost-delays-amp

johnetone likes this.
  7. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I do it sometimes...I never really have a set way to do the fuzz and wah, it just depends on the day and how it sounds that day...

8. dascher

dascher Member

Never used a fuzz but I ran my OCD before the wah and a TS9 after just to see the difference. Hated dirt before wah YMMV of course

9. TimStraus

TimStraus Member

John Frusciante runs his wah after fuzz, I love the sounds he gets.

10. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

This...

11. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Member

it all changes when you add a vibe into the picture. Fuzz wah vibe dirt works, but I might prefer the vibe before the fuzz, especially when the wah is engaged.

I'm thinking

sunface white dot -> wah -> vibe -> sunface red dot -> dirty amp :)

ryandfl likes this.
  12. insanecopilot

insanecopilot Member

Good thread, i have wondered the same. What about the tuner pedal? if it is true bypass it can be first, right?

13. redbeardrob

redbeardrob Member

i've read that jimi didn't really care about the fuzz before wah thing. he liked his wah first. he didn't have TGP back then to tell him otherwise. in some live recordings you can totally tell he has his fuzzface first. one of the tracks on the winterland set. it gets all noisy and such. in a solo too. but you can here him bring his strat's volume down a bit to fix it.

me? i have my fuzz before my wah. i'm GASing for a clyde deluxe wah though. tried one out at a GC and it has a fuzz friendly buffer in it.

wilto likes this.
  14. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

I have gone through a similar change of preference, but with a treble booster instead of a fuzz. Treble boosters are pretty similar to fuzz faces in a couple ways, namely they clean up great and kill the wah's sweep if the wah is first.

I got a new Clyde Deluxe with the boost/buffer circuit to use with fuzz faces, and found that with the buffer on, wah into TB worked great as well. However, I later realized I prefer TB into wah, negating the need for the buffer. This gives a pretty extreme sound, and the TB can still clean up great! I find that most dirt sounds great before wah, as long as its going into a dirty amp. Dirt>wah>clean amp doesn't sound as cool to me.

I now do TB>wah>vibe>OD, etc. (see sig)

And yes, a true bypass tuner can go before fuzz.

15. champion ruby

champion ruby Member

Always gone wah after fuzz. If the wah is too pronounced just back the guitar vol off a bit. I've never liked the sound with fuzz friendly buffers.

johnetone likes this.
  16. alberob

alberob Member

I still use my Clyde Mcoy Vox Wah after my fuzz and I always have.I don't like fuzz after Wah all that much.

17. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Member

this is how I'm gonna roll for the next little while

[​IMG]

18. JohnRegular

JohnRegular Member

Wah after fuzz anyday, I never understood it the other way 'round. To me, wah is modulation, so it should go after gain effects. But even just using my ear it's much better.

19. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

If you put the wah in front of the distortion/overdrive pedal, you can get a nice guttural tone at about 3/4 throttle.

20. timdcarroll

timdcarroll Member

Dallas Arbiter England (90s re-issue nkt275) - V846HW Wah - Hartman Vintage Treble Boost - Mission VM-Pro Volume - Keeley 4-Knob Compressor - Strymon Mobius (pre) - MXR CSP026 74 Phase 90 - Jetter GS124 - Jetter Traindrive - Clinch EP Pre - Eventide H9 Max (pre) - Empress Para EQ - FX LOOP - Strymon Mobius (post) - Strymon Time Line - Eventide H9 MAX (post) - Strymon Big Sky ---- All controlled by my RJM Mastermind PBC, from the Strymon Mobius (pre) to the Strymon Big Sky.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017