Why no love for warrior guitars?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by golfnbobp, Jul 31, 2010.

1. narad

narad Supporting Member

hehehe :D

2. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator ^/|\^ Co-Founder of TGP Staff Member

3. gregmoeck

gregmoeck Member

damn, you drove 10 hours for a guitar... I hear ya.

"We need some paying gigs.

We don't need this messing around.
    That's ridiculous.

Amen, Johnson."

[​IMG]

4. fugot

fugot Member

I must have been lucky. I have owned 4 warriors-all of them had zero problems... But i have heard stories galore (sad stories-bad set ups, less then amazing customer service)...
    The one Warrior kings closet I still have is the "Hawaiin lady". Pretty amazing guitar-great woods, bartolini pickups, best of all no issues!! and it has an acoustic pickup also.
    [​IMG]
    sorry about the glare in pic
    I have had 2 other spalted maple warrios, both pretty sweet, and i also had a throwback 55. That might have been my favorite warrior...until I bought the Hawaiin lady (Koa top).

it seems to me, you need to play each Warrior guitar before you buy it--I did not( leap of faith), but as I said, I was lucky ....( my guitar tech said the koa warrior I have is one of the nicest guitars he has seen/touched-I took it in to be checked out and he said there was not a thing wrong with it and sent it back with no charge).

5. Brawndo

Brawndo Member

The setup on mine was definitely less than stellar, which higher notes choking out and poor fret dressing.

6. clmazza

clmazza Supporting Member

Do you have updated pics of the guitar?

7. Shark21

Shark21 Silver Supporting Member

Played a couple at the Florida Guitar Show this past Sunday. I don't care about the drama. Great set-up and loud acoustically. Necks were a bit thin for me. The "Staff" were anything but car salesmen. I did play midget league basketball with Rick Derringer's drummer in elementary school, so I may have an agenda.

8. Flinto2002

Flinto2002 Senior Member

FYI, the Sam Ash Hollywood has 5 very attractive BRAND NEW Warriors they are blowing out at $999. Figured tops, gold tops, fancy inlays etc.. $999. I was shocked.

I played a goldtop Isabella that was quite nice, for $999 it was a steal. If I hadn't already owned one I might have purchased it, but I've already been down the Warrior road once before

9. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

was Tom there, he and Rick are great people

10. Brawndo

Brawndo Member

11. JPERRYROCKS

JPERRYROCKS Member

Warrior and religion go together. It's what they base their reputation and company on and they don't hide it.

So it's part of the buying experience with Warrior. So in this rare instance when a company is so in your face about that, it's hard not to talk about it in some respect.

People are not bringing up religion just for the heck of it and to violate GP rules.

We shouldn't harp on the religion side too much, but you can't deny it's a huge part of Warrior as a brand. And it may or may not move you to buy their product.

And there response to warranty claims and problems and the "religion angle" they give to customers is a fair topic. Or at least I think so.

12. Bruce Bennett

Bruce Bennett Senior Member

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  13. Brawndo

Brawndo Member

It does LOOK great, to somebody that didn't order something specific they didn't get. The fretboard was supposed to be solid black, so when I saw the pics of the initial fretboard and it wasn't I was pretty disappointed, but since I felt an argument coming if I said that's not what I ordered, I decided to let it ride. Then when the guitar was supposed to be about done, I saw a picture of the headstock, which was supposed to match the fretboard, but was instead some kind of total random burst thing, which wasn't what I asked for or what was discussed. JD said he'd fix it if I didn't like it, but I really wanted my guitar so I decided to let it ride yet again, with the promise that he'd fix it if I just couldn't deal with it. I ended up hating it of course, so I had to send it back.

Then when they fixed the headstock, which was supposed to match the fretboard, it was instead the solid black I had wanted for the fretboard, so even now they didn't match. Fretboard is streaky brown, headstock is black.

The initial setup / dressing of the frets was such that I had to press down way too hard, and even then notes choked out bending on the higher frets, making me think I needed bigger frets.

Warrior uses Dunlop 6105 frets by default. When I decided to have the refret done, I had asked on another forum which thicker frets I should go with, 6100 or 6000, and everybody said 6000. Big mistake on a 25" scale guitar. And the tang part of a 6000 fret is so big that there's no re-fretting with smaller frets after you've done that, or at least that's how I understand it.

So after all this, paying the extra shipping and money to have the cosmetic things "fixed" and the guitar refreted it still was not what I wanted. It certainly didn't wow me, and I expected a lot of wow for $3500. I was pretty disappointed.

That's when me driving 5 hours to GA occurred, and even more disappointment followed. Thankfully I didn't give in to the pressure and got out of there without handing them my guitar and another $2000 to wait another 3 months hoping it would be right this time.

So I ended up getting rid of it at a huge loss.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  14. Bruce Bennett

Bruce Bennett Senior Member

yep, you nailed him to a tee.
    nobody can say you haven't had the full "Warrior Experience"

15. clmazza

clmazza Supporting Member

Looks awesome! Sorry to hear about the difficulties.

I’ve played several over the years and I found that, ergonomically, they are one of the most comfortable guitars available.

16. tmihm

tmihm Member

After several emails and calls (during the build process on mine) reminding them NOT TO LACQUER the back of the neck, they send me a photo of the shiny laquered neck. I demanded it be taken off of there. :nono

JD said he would rather 'wrastle a cow' than scrape lacquer. We had many interesting conversations, but he kinda dissappeared when the attorney got involved with their legal department. I would love so much to post some of those letters, but would be afraid of the legal implications.

I have to find that picture.

What a horrible 2.5 year, $4500 nightmare. Got my money back but took a lot of the spunk out of having a guitar custom built. :(

17. tmihm

tmihm Member

Looks like the cow got the best of that wrastling match and they gave up before they were done. And we all are aware of Mr Thorn's abilities. He was kind enough to take on the job of the inlaid eagle. Warrior shipped him the guitar with no instructions on what to do, no name on it, nothing. That eagle was unbelievably cool - Ron is outstanding...whatta shame.

[​IMG]

highrise likes this.
  18. tmihm

tmihm Member

Here was my list I sent them after my tech and I went over it. Guys...none of this stuff is exaggerated:

Non-Guitar Issue:

1. There is about a 6" scratch on the top corner of the case. This was done before it left the factory, as the cardboard shipping box...as well as the bag it was wrapped in, arrived in perfect condition

Guitar Issues:

1. The fret slots on the side of the neck - some of them are filled...and some are not filled
    2. There's a huge sap grain on the mahogany neck
    3. There are two pin-size holes in the back of the neck
    4. The area where the lacquer meets the scraped wood - there's no "line" - it just goes from 'shiny' to 'dull' to 'not there'
    5. You can feel the scrapes in the neck where the lacquer was scraped off
    6. The back of the body has solder resin splashed on it
    7. The output jack is a bit crooked
    8. Between where the neck meets the body (by the truss rod adjustment) there's a huge amount of lacquer buildup that was not buffed down
    9. Where the treble side horn meets the body:
    a). There's a bad glue-up
    b). The wrong color filler was used
    c). You can feel it raised up off of the body
    10. On the side of the 12th fret, one of the markers is lower than the other
    11. The markers also go from white (on the low end) to 'pink' (on the high end)
    12. On the rhythm pickup - the holes on the covers were drilled larger than the other ones and the cover was not replaced to matchthe other two
    13. The piezo knob is crooked and rubs against the top when turned
    14. One of the screws in not in correctly on the cavity plate and sticks up

The show stoppers:

15. The treble pickup routing is very far off to the left, so that the strings do not go over the pickups and the middle and bridge pickups will have much less output

16. The set-neck is SEVERELY TWISTED. The bass side is underbowed and the treble side is backbowed. This is unacceptable for a $500 guitar, let alone one costing nearly 10 times that

19. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

^ epic fail. I cannot understand how a builder could let a guitar with one (let alone 16) of those issues out of the factory, and charge that amount for it!

20. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Wow. That's sad for a new guitar.