Why NO mods on MI Audio ???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by brattmoore, Oct 21, 2008.

1. brattmoore

brattmoore Member

I've have never seen any "classic" mods on MI Audio pedals apart from some op-amps swapping or re-locating presence control for the Crunch Box. Has anybody tried to have assymetric clipping diodes in the Tube Zone for exemple ? Are these pedals perfect so there is no need for modding ???

2. BrianWampler

BrianWampler Member

black goop, IIRC. I won't work on a pedal with goop, it just isn't cost efficient.
    bw

3. Felixun1

Felixun1 Supporting Member

I have posted on this issue as well. Somebody should do a good quality mod on the cruchbox, make it thicker and less buzzy.

4. pipedwho

pipedwho Member

There's no 'black goop' in my BBD or Classic Distortion. All the components are visible.

The most common 'mod' for these pedals is probably just a basic op-amp change. The op-amps are even socketed to make this easy.

5. brattmoore

brattmoore Member

Black goop in MI Audio pedals ???

6. RickB

RickB Member

I've owned all of their pedals at one time or another and not a single one of them had goop on the boards.

7. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

From the schematic, it looks like it would easy enough add some assemmetrical clipping in addition to the stock LED symmetrical clippers. It would be fun to hear how MOSFETs and Germanium diodes would change the tone as well. MOSFETs add some 'beef' in many of the mods I've done to distortion and ODs.

You could also increase the gain, give more or less compressed tone... really all sorts of neat stuff you can do.

Just suggestions... please don't PM me, I don't do mods any more.

8. telefuzzfreak

telefuzzfreak Member

MI doesn't goop their boards. They've got nothing to hide. The CB doesn't really need any mods. The internal trimmer should tweak it to your liking. If not....try another opamp.

9. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

The way I see it...why mod a pedal that already sounds great on its own? I love the sound of the BBD and BP...just keep it the way it is :).

Then again I could just be naive...

10. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

They need more EQ knobs. Just gotta work around the goop! :huh :crazyguy

11. funkycam

funkycam Member

cb could not be better for what it is IMO... & I love mods!

12. pipedwho

pipedwho Member

:agree

The Classic Distortion IS the CB with more EQ mods. ;) And didn't we already cover the issue with goop. ie. MI Audio does not use goop in any of their products. :crazyguy

13. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I pretty much think I know why and it has NOTHING to do with goop.. Most of the pedal modders just copy each others' mods. They have schematics and mods all over the net.. MI's probably aren't printed out yet and the 1st guy hasn't started modding them , so EVERYONE isn't modding them.

Once 1 guy starts though and publishes what he did, there will be all the others following. .

The only great modder I've found so far is Backstepper of any pedal .. I wonder if there are other great ones as in my experience the other ones aren't great? They're either subtle improvements , or not improvements.

Eric

14. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

The schematic is already out on the internet for the Crunchbox... you just have to know where to look.

As I have mentioned before, there are all sorts of things you can do to this pedal to add more gain, add clipping variations, smooth out the distortion, etc. If you know how to mod a distortion pedal... you can mod any distortion pedal, therefore, it's really not much of a challenge to do so for many modders and DIYers.

I know guys who have built their own Crunchboxes from scratch with mods on them... the mods are out there, the schematic is out there...

The demand for modding this type of pedal isn't there compared to the Ibanez and Boss stuff.

15. ericb

Hey thanks for the post.. Why would you think the demand isn't there compared to Ibanez and Boss mods? Almost all the Ibanez and Boss Mods I've had are really similar and some aren't better than the original pedals.. Don't you think someone would want to 'improve' on the Crunch Box or BlueBoys,etc if the mods made things 'better' ? I know 'better' is a subjective adjective obviously , but seems to me like though there's a lot of love for the crunchbox there's also lots of non-love, and those guys would love certain mods. (Serious question)

Eric

16. ungarn

ungarn Member

I swapped op amps in a Blues Boy...definitely worth tinkering with to find "your" sound...

17. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

yeah, Just runnin with the gag

18. Willdance

Willdance Member

I would mod other pedals to sound like the bbd. Best voicing outta the box of any chip based pedal I've played.

19. ericb

That's a good post ! Like that one..;) . Just curious but I have an original Blue Boy (also have a Blues prototype from prior to the Blue Boy) Any idea how the original Blue Boy differs from the more recent Blue Boy Deluxes,etc?

Eric

20. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Ibanez and Boss pedals are readily available in most metropolitan places around the world. They have been around for a long time and are the most recognized. MI Audio is popular, but nothing like the aforementioned.

There is no improvement on the CB or BB... there is only tweaking the pedal to get closer to someone's personal preferences. Hence the reason why Langraff asks the customer what amp and guitar they use... he tweaks it to match the customer's set-up.

There are mods you can make to any OD or distortion pedal. To say there are no mods is somewhat misleading. It would be better to say, "why aren't there any people out there willing to mod the CB?"