• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Why no Moody Blues love here?

Cal Webway

Don't ever see much. They were good, maybe dated a bit now (??). Dunno.

Or is it the... Mellotron?

DRS

I love the MB's. Their come back album, Long Distance Voyager,was one of the few from a 60s band that actually succeeded.

Buzzard Luck

We like that 'knights in white satin' tune where they strum the somber Em chord, and then the really snappy number, the uptempo 'I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band' -those are the best 2 songs. Is there another reason TGP should be on this topic?

radicool

I like some of their stuff - very melodic and inventive. Plus, they were good singers, players, and writers. Some of the tunes do sound a bit dated, as you said: very New-Agey kind of stuff, before that term even existed.

DRS

We like that 'knights in white satin' tune where they strum the somber Em chord, and then the really snappy number, the uptempo 'I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band' -those are the best 2 songs. Is there another reason TGP should be on this topic?
If we can discuss bands where grown men dress up like dwarves, we can discuss the Moody Blues:)

Papanate

Because they are long past their heyday - are generally not attracting 'new' fans
and are not generally recording anymore - or at least anything anyone but
long time fans want to hear.

That said - I like them in doses - especially when I hear stuff on XM
that has not been played much if at all.

Funkhauser

Because they are long past their heyday - are generally not attracting 'new' fans
and are not generally recording anymore - or at least anything anyone but
long time fans want to hear.

Don't see why any of that would hold them back from receiving TGP love. In fact it kinda sounds like a prerequisite for TGP popularity

paranoid70

They have some great records. I finally had a chance to see them about 3 or 4 years and was really impressed with Justin Hayward, he sounded great!

ddeand

Silver Supporting Member
They did a great job of playing thoughtful and artistic melodies - fairly innovative for their time. Sometimes, the broad, sweeping scope of the arrangements felt a little pretentious, but the concept albums were quite solid. Most of their stuff was too complex to play in a bar band, so you seldom see many covers of their work - that might be one of the limiting factors of their popularity. I still enjoy listening to them, and would never denigrate them "because they were popular when my dad was 18." So were Hendrix, Cream, Zep, etc., and we have no problem revering them. Just a different style of music. Two of my favorites:

Misterbulbous

They did a great job of playing thoughtful and artistic melodies - fairly innovative for their time. Sometimes, the broad, sweeping scope of the arrangements felt a little pretentious, but the concept albums were quite solid. Most of their stuff was too complex to play in a bar band, so you seldom see many covers of their work - that might be one of the limiting factors of their popularity. I still enjoy listening to them, and would never denigrate them "because they were popular when my dad was 18." So were Hendrix, Cream, Zep, etc., and we have no problem revering them. Just a different style of music. Two of my favorites:.
Saying "they were popular when my dad was 18" is not a denigrating statement; it's just an observation - noting their album chart positions in 1967/1968. Maybe they aren't discussed here much because they never ended up finding that lost chord.

ddeand

Silver Supporting Member
Saying "they were popular when my dad was 18" is not a denigrating statement; it's just an observation - noting their album chart positions in 1967/1968. Maybe they aren't discussed here much because they never ended up finding that lost chord.
Their style of music is definitely dated and not really commercially viable to copy. I like them, but I also think they are just representative of a bygone era. Some of the great prog-rock groups took that idea to a whole different level. It's interesting how a group like The Stones can remain viable for so many decades while other groups (like the Moodies) become passe.

Misterbulbous

Their style of music is definitely dated and not really commercially viable to copy. I like them, but I also think they are just representative of a bygone era. Some of the great prog-rock groups took that idea to a whole different level. It's interesting how a group like The Stones can remain viable for so many decades while other groups (like the Moodies) become passe.
I actually had two of their albums when I was 5 or 6 (via my uncle)...I was more into the Byrds, Beatles, Beach Boys, and Elton John. But, I can dig their talent and impact.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom