Why no new US made tubes?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sirloin, May 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

I was over at my local amp tech shop and he was bemoaning the high number of faulty new tubes on the market. Considering the extremes some of us go to in the search for tone and the fact that tubes definitely have an impact on tone, why no US tubes? I would think somebody could create a boutique US made tube company that would appeal to the TGP crowd. Is it just not economically feasable? Is it US government and or enviromental regs that are preventing this? I would think a quality tube maker could pretty much name their price.

2. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

I'm assuming it's a combination of occupational health & safety along with not being able to compete with the cost of overseas production.

3. digiTED

digiTED rock > talk

Not that I actually know anything about this, but my guess is that it's not just tooling and labor costs, but environmental regs that play the largest role. Look at the two countries where most/all the current production is: China and Russia (neither known for robust environmental protections).

4. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

I'm pretty sure it is an EPA regulation thing. You're probably not even supposed to dispose of tubes in the garbage.

5. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

There really isn't a demand. Think about the block you live on. How many computers on that block? How many TVs? How many cell phones? How many iPods? How many game consoles? Now how many tube amps?

If you're a manufacture and you have to pay the bills, feed the kids, send them to college, pay the employees, pay the insurance, etc., etc., etc., what are you going to invest in? The future or the past? Sorry, we like to think we're a big market, but in the grand scheme of things we're pretty darn small.

6. digiTED

digiTED rock > talk

Interesting thread topic.

Maybe another way to look at it is that due to our more robust environmental regs, it's too cost prohibitive to comply responsibly due to the very small market demand for tubes. Afterall, an amp or pedal company can operate out of a garage.

Sent from my personal mobile thingy using whatever app this is

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  7. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

Good points all. But take a look at all the boutique amps, caps, transformers, speakers, cabs, attenuators, pedals that are a small market and could be made more cheaply overseas, but they are selling. Why are there two rocks, fuchs, germino, suhr, carr, morgan etc made in the US? Why make any of this gear in the states? I think when NOS tubes are finally gone, that may be the tipping point.

I bet if somebody made some new tubes, had some great demos made by a well known player and, here's the key, created a waiting list wih the appropriate hype, they would sell like hotcakes!

8. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Hey man, I'm sorry - upon reflection, I deleted my post out of concern that perhaps it's best I not post here on issues I address in my day job even with a disclaimer. :(

9. digiTED

digiTED rock > talk

Good call, actually. Nothing private on the Interwebz.

Sent from my personal mobile thingy using whatever app this is

10. GT100

GT100 Member

So how much more are you willing to pay for say a 12ax7?
    Would you pay in excess of $50 for one?

Lloyd

11. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

cheap labor overseas
    more lax environmental laws
    very small market/demand

12. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Thank You Great Spirit! Silver Supporting Member

But building an amp is a totally different animal from building a tube. You can build an amp by hand with small hand tools. Try doing that with a tube. You gonna blow your own glass?

Besides, those factories making tubes in China, they are not just making tubes and nothing else. Some of those factories are making all kinds of electronics, and they just happen to have a way to tool up for tubes on the side. For all we know the place making those tubes is also making phones and microwaves and toasters and capacitors and transformers.

13. 5E3

5E3 Member

So if we now pay about $12 for a tube made off-shore, what do you think it would have to sell for to make economic sense for it to be manufactured here?

I know this is just wild guessing ... but what do you think? $100, $200, more?

14. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks Member

it's been tried before a bunch of times.

people say they want great new us made tubes but if they had to pay 100 bucks for one it's a no deal.

15. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

16. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

Or good tubes.

:rimshot :)

17. quinnamps

quinnamps Member

You guys citing the EPA really means to blame the transistor right?

;O)

18. littlejohn

littlejohn Member

Never happen, enviro stuff aside, or if so seems? like Groove tubes would have taken a shot at it...didn't they offer a US made 6L6GE copy a few years ago?

19. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Not exactly... though they would have you believe it was made in the U.S.

20. modernp

modernp Member

I have 4 amps that I retube all the time. 12 or so at the studio that are being retubed and working with an amp tech and I don't see a lot of bad tubes. But I hear it all the time on here. Just curious what vendors you guys are getting bad tubes from and what are they doing when you get em.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.