Why No Satin Neck on Gibson Style Guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by crosse79, Mar 27, 2008.

1. crosse79

crosse79 Member

I've been looking around - but I haven't seen Satin necks on Gibson type guitars. Is it because of the Mahogany wood? I know a number of Fender guitars / clones uses Satin necks. Is it advisable to have a Satin neck for a Gibson type of guitar? Secondly if the neck is shot in nitro - how do we prevent the sticky feeling?

2. MartinC

MartinC Member

There is a satin finish ES335:

http://www.gibsoncustom.com/flash/products/es/335Satin/335Satin.html

Far as I know the whole guitar is satin finished. Same with the LP standard "Faded" model:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Gibs...ctric Guitars/LesPaul/Standards/Standard (1)/

It's a good question ... I don't like glossy necks either, which rules out most Gibsons. If I wanted a factory twin humbucker solidbody, I'd be looking at the satin neck finished PRSs ... not just 'cos of the neck finish (prefer chunkier necks, bigger frets, locking tuners, vibrato etc...) but that would be a factor. The nicest PRS I ever played, which isn't too many ... probably 6 or 7, was a CE22 ... maple neck with satin finish.

I do have a guitar with a gloss finished neck and I recently got the gloss taken off by a guitar repairer. Just the surface ... so the wood is still sealed. I believe you can do it yourself fairly easily with scotchbrite. Not sure I'd want to do that to a brand new guitar though.

3. Ash82

Ash82 Member

My SG special faded had a satin finish the first few days. Now it's got a nice gloss after many hours of playing though it stil has a satin feel.

4. bonchie123

bonchie123 Supporting Member

The VOS Historics have a very satin feel to there necks.

5. jharpersj

jharpersj Silver Supporting Member

My Les Paul standard raw power model has a satin nitro finish !

6. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

The Les Pauls did have maple necks in, IIRC, 1977. Mine are not really a satin finish; they're sanded smooth. But they feel great! Might want to seek one out to see if you like them.

7. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

Nope. Anderson's mahogany neck models (Cobra and Atom) have the same super sleek satin finish as their maple neck models.

- DB

8. crosse79

crosse79 Member

I've always wondered why no Gibson players highlight this point? It's not that a fully gloss neck is bad - it's just that wouldn't it be better to have more options? I tend to like Satin necks over gloss necks as it improves playability. Some people dig gloss necks and that fine. Just something I observed only.

9. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Member

Probably the main factor is that Gibson is a company locked into their heritage. They did so well on the original designs that they attracted a rabid following. Now, if they change a jot or tittle, their "audience" of consumers roasts them and has them for dinner. The result is that they are somewhat enslaved by their success.

PRS and Hamer moved in and replicated much of the tone=related Gibson design with CNC and reduced the amount of handwork and everyone welcomed their lower prices. But when Gibson tries to alter a design, they're LUNCH! :)

Bob

10. c_mac

c_mac Member

Lots of acoustics have satin finished necks - Larrivees, Martins, Taylors, etc.