Why no TS10 reissue?

earwax

Prices are through the roof. The TS9 and 808 have been reissued as nauseam. Come on Ibanez give us a TS10-W! We know you like to make money and we all like to spend it.

I remember having one of these in the 90’s and couldn’t sell it. I think I pawned it in the end for $20-40. Wouldn’t mind trying one again but not for $400 plus.

woolyh

Is there any interest in this pedal outside of John Mayer using it? I assume that's the only reason for its desirability.

The Maxon OD808 uses the TS10 circuit as a cheap option. Ibanez has done a bunch of oddball reissues before so a TS10 may be possible.

Wyatt Martin

Is there any interest in this pedal outside of John Mayer using it? I assume that's the only reason for its desirability.

The Maxon OD808 uses the TS10 circuit as a cheap option. Ibanez has done a bunch of oddball reissues before so a TS10 may be possible.
Didn't SRV use a TS10 for more of his "widely accessible" years in the 80s than the TS9 or 808?

I seem to think the TS10 was Gary Moore's tube screamer choice in the last half of the 80s early 90s.

Despite all that it's still not worth more than $50 at a pawn shop for me. However for some reason I would be interested in a Sound Tank TS5 for $25.

LaceSensor1

Silver Supporting Member
They should reissue the ts10 and the mostortion in period correct boxes but beefed up without the plastic parts. I think these would sell well.

It has worked with boss with the waza series. No reason Ibanez couldn't do it and add a toggle with an extra sound or two in each.

The-Kid

Pedal Art: Providence Dealer
Vendor
They should reissue the ts10 and the mostortion in period correct boxes but beefed up without the plastic parts. I think these would sell well.

It has worked with boss with the waza series. No reason Ibanez couldn't do it and add a toggle with an extra sound or two in each.
This and CS505 and AD retro boxes and circuits.....maybe with a switch or added function :)

Amp_Addicted

Are the housings still being made? That would be the first problem. Then gauging actual demand for a pedal that was derided during its actual time of existence would be another factor. That's one of the reasons that the TS-10 costs so much: they weren't at all popular when they were on the market. They came out in the mid 80's and the Japanese Yen tanked, so that probably had some impact on sales as well(lack of profits). Don't forget that rackmount effects kind of ruled the guitar landscape during the late 80's. As a result, pedals weren't very popular in the late 80's as they are today.

You could always go for a Ibanez STL Super Tube Screamer. They were made about the same time as the TS-10, so they will have many of the same parts. The STL is a TS-9 with an actual midrange control that works for single coil or humbucker equipped guitars. The STL Super Tube Screamer usually goes for far less than a TS-10(like a 1/3 the price).

This video is a bit instructive. I have never used a Metal Screamer MSL, but I agree with the person who posted the video that it's the best sounding of the lot. A cheap TS-5 Soundtank is the path of least resistance:

MrSage

Is the TS-10 any different inside than a TS-9? A few sources seem to indicate there are some differences in buffers, but I have to imagine the main signal path is pretty much the same.

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
Are the housings still being made? That would be the first problem. Then gauging actual demand for a pedal that was derided during its actual time of existence would be another factor. That's one of the reasons that the TS-10 costs so much: they weren't at all popular when they were on the market. They came out in the mid 80's and the Japanese Yen tanked, so that probably had some impact on sales as well(lack of profits). Don't forget that rackmount effects kind of ruled the guitar landscape during the late 80's. As a result, pedals weren't very popular in the late 80's as they are today.

You could always go for a Ibanez STL Super Tube Screamer. They were made about the same time as the TS-10, so they will have many of the same parts. The STL is a TS-9 with an actual midrange control that works for single coil or humbucker equipped guitars. The STL Super Tube Screamer usually goes for far less than a TS-10(like a 1/3 the price).

This video is a bit instructive. I have never used a Metal Screamer MSL, but I agree with the person who posted the video that it's the best sounding of the lot. A cheap TS-5 Soundtank is the path of least resistance:

Lol, love the David Attenborough-ish narration at the start of the video. :spit

nastynate

Because they’re overhyped and the minuscule difference in sound between it and the TS-9 and 808 are offset by the multitude of issues. Plastic jacks mounted directly to the board, plastic pots, dodgy switch....

Ibanez is in a lose-lose scenario because if they fix the issues, people would complain they weren’t authentic reissues and don’t sound as good as the originals. If they don’t fix the issues, it’s a same cheap, issue ridden pedal that could be bought all day for $35 until Mayer started using them.

earwax

Because they’re overhyped and the minuscule difference in sound between it and the TS-9 and 808 are offset by the multitude of issues. Plastic jacks mounted directly to the board, plastic pots, dodgy switch....

Ibanez is in a lose-lose scenario because if they fix the issues, people would complain they weren’t authentic reissues and don’t sound as good as the originals. If they don’t fix the issues, it’s a same cheap, issue ridden pedal that could be bought all day for $35 until Mayer started using them.

Hype and minuscule differences are reasons why it would sell or not?

nastynate

Hype and minuscule differences are reasons why it would sell or not?
Why is wasn’t reissued.

It would sell because of the Mayer connection, but I can’t understand why. I’ve had one for 15 or 16 years (from when they were $35), but it just sits in the closet because of the reliability. It’s certainly not worth a couple hundred more than my TS-9.

JohnK24

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve been waiting for a reissue of the TS10. Had two in the 90s, sold both to try newer boutique drives.

Hawkmoon269

The legacy of the Ibanez Tube Screamer seems to be "How many different ways can we repackage essentially the same circuit using a slightly cheaper enclosure each time?" Each iteration saves a buck or two on manufacturing costs but adds to the rate of returns and warranty payouts. It was a race to the bottom, and eventually they reached the bottom with the TS5. And all rejoiced.

MrSage

The legacy of the Ibanez Tube Screamer seems to be "How many different ways can we repackage essentially the same circuit using a slightly cheaper enclosure each time?" Each iteration saves a buck or two on manufacturing costs but adds to the rate of returns and warranty payouts. It was a race to the bottom, and eventually they reached the bottom with the TS5. And all rejoiced.
TS-12 is made of cardboard, and the switch can only be activated once.

But legend has it that John Mayer buys a new one for each show.

Trending Topics