Why not your own sound

Tony Done

I'm sympathetic to that, but some tones interest me greatly, one of Sonny Landreth's YouTube vids, for example. In the back of my mind, and I mentioned this recently in another thread, is that while it might work for him, it might not sound so good if I tried it. IOW, a lot of it might be in the fingers.

RolandKorg

Good for you.

I‘m of the impression, though, that just about every player who is now considered “great” and/or original began by trying to copy his own idols.

Aside from that, trying to match something else is an educational experience. Just fumbling around and saying, “oh, I like that, that’s Me now”—well, another perspective might be that that approach is lazy.

How many ‘original tones’ do you think there are? You sure yours is really ‘your own?‘

ekafroops

There's an idea here about tonechasing allowing us to achieve a state of readiness wherein we can realize our artistic selves more completely, right? Like, the belief we can sound as if we *are* Clapton is illusory, while the belief that we can achieve something within ourselves using similar tools and rituals, more achievable.

DonaldDemon

I get what the OP is saying and generally agree with finding your own path. Some of the lengths people go to mimic others tones is a bit weird to me. That said, you need a jumping off point and honestly, guitar sounds like guitar for the most part. Not too many are getting something truly unique sounding these days, a lot of ground has been covered.

ClickClack

I think a few folks here are misinterpreting what the OP said, which I understood to mean simply that he never set out with the goal of sounding just like someone else. That does not mean he managed to achieve some new, unique tone previously unknown to mankind.

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member
Finding your own thing is cool and easy, so I’m all for it. It’s not like we need to find frequencies never heard by humans. To me this is why you buy gear that you love the sound of and then dial it in the way you want to. Often this may mean not buying the same gear everyone else is using, or not buying the exact same gear a favorite player has.

modernp

Good for you.

I‘m of the impression, though, that just about every player who is now considered “great” and/or original began by trying to copy his own idols.

Aside from that, trying to match something else is an educational experience. Just fumbling around and saying, “oh, I like that, that’s Me now”—well, another perspective might be that that approach is lazy.

How many ‘original tones’ do you think there are? You sure yours is really ‘your own?‘
Is there still an original chord progression out there? I use amps and pedals that many people have. Just not seeking others tones.

SonicTonic Seeker

Silver Supporting Member
Something you know you like is a good starting point.
Also, curiosity. I'd like to know what Timmons used on Electric Gypsy even if I don't get the same gear or try to sound as much like him as possible.
If a certain pedal was used, then there's a pretty good chance I'd like using it in some way on some song since I really like the tone in that song.

RolandKorg

I get what the OP is saying and generally agree with finding your own path. Some of the lengths people go to mimic others tones is a bit weird to me. That said, you need a jumping off point and honestly, guitar sounds like guitar for the most part. Not too many are getting something truly unique sounding these days, a lot of ground has been covered.
For me, the joy in playing isn’t just about fretting the notes. It’s about very specific sounds. That I either imagine or that I’ve heard before. And there is considerably less satisfaction in playing the associated music if the tone isn’t very close to what I expect or want.

I‘ve definitely been in the tone chasing game for a long time. The Van Halen thing, for one. That’s what started me in guitar in 1980, and what still gives me jollies now. But just playing those songs without a good Brown Sound... that’s just wack. The thing is, even though that’s one specific objective, it has nothing to do with anything else. I still have other tone objectives—some emulative and some of my own. Chasing one or two or three and being dedicated to nailing the doesn’t mean I don’t also create my own space. That’s why I have a Kemper and a bunch of very different guitars—to cover many angles.

The other perspective is that nailing one inspiration’s tone doesn’t mean you’ll sound like them when you play someone else’s songs with it. I love the SRV Little Wing sound, but if I play songs I write with it, it won’t be recognizable as SRV’s. Unless you’re going all abstract anyway, there just aren’t that many new roads to go down.

And if you don’t know what sound you’re trying to make before you start making it, how do you know what gear you need to buy? :)

Formerly posted as MkIIC+
Silver Supporting Member
I see threads all the time of how do I get this certain artists tone. I approached it from the beginning of having my own tone.
After trying a range of guitars and amps and pedals, I’ve settled on stuff I like and purged much of the rest. Generally I never tried hard to nail specific tones but more ballpark them. That said, I discovered some tones are tough ones to dial in until you apply something like treble booster or cocked wah or P90 pickups. And I’m not sure I could ever nail a Gilmore tone without a Hiwatt nor do I plan to buy one. I’ve had a lot of fun exploring but it’s not as interesting anymore. I like the sounds I get from Les Pauls and Teles with four knobs. I like low to medium gain amps with EV speakers. Not too many pedals. I’m still exploring some gear but not much.

I’ve also shifted my playing to exploring more of my own riffs, chord progressions and arrangements. When I‘m checking out gear in a store, I far prefer to play my stuff while I‘m finding gear that best serve the sounds I like best.

Trending Topics